Thinking of getting a motorhome (1 Viewer)

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Hi all
We are thinking of getting a motor home.
What do you need to think of when looking at second hand ones.
So many layout out there and different sizes it gets confusing.

The only thing we have decided is that we want a fixed bed and 4 proper seat belts.
Any advise will be more than welcome

Thanks
Michelle and Andy

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I would think very carefully about the amount of living space ypu would like. We wanted as much as possible, bathroom and fixed bed in a 6m van :). I personally didnt like the dinette options as i thought of rainy days and not much lounging space. Look at lots of layouts and visualise how you are goung to use the space in bad weather. Ours is a fixed drop down electric bed, can sit upto 8 people when the bed is up. The compromise is when the bed is being used not much living space left. So we all go to bed and get up at the same time. But happy to do that. Or go to a big show and look at them all under one roof. :)

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
Hi spidey thanks for the reply

We have seen a electric bed motorhome that we really like a chaussen 610 it's a shame you can't get them second hand yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a 510 and the 610 is exactly the same but has a bigger wardrobe and a proper garage. We would have gone for this one if it had been around when bought ours. A lovely van, but as you saud none second hand yet.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome from East Sussex :welc:
I would visit dealers and try as many layouts as you can before deciding on a final one. Imagine those rainy days when you are stuck inside :(. Is ther enough room to lounge?
What size van can you manage?
Advice from @Spidey is good. (y)
Good luck with your search and try not to be in too much of a hurry to buy. You are spending a lot of money and need to get it right first time if you can.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Why do you want a fixed bed ?
Are you that old and infirm that you can't flip a few cushions over to make a bed?
We have an end lounge that gives a great lounging space on a rainy day ,us and the 2 kids can watch a dvd or play on the wii .
Fixed bed on smaller Mh's means less living space and as you state having a dinette to sit at!
The beauty of a bigger van is that you can have a dinette ,double over cab bed and a large lounge to relax in.
Our van can sit over 10 people however is belted for 4,it's not how many people you can fit in the van that matters it's how many you can travel with that's important.

Vlad

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
When we went it was us, 21 and 15 year old. We slept in the drop down bed. The girls in the one below. Our bed is so comfortable especially with a mattress topper :). Now not so sure i would like the bed made up of cushions, but suppose could use a mattress topper with that as well. It is lovely having the bed made up ready to use. :)

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
When we went it was us, 21 and 15 year old. We slept in the drop down bed. The girls in the one below. Our bed is so comfortable especially with a mattress topper :). Now not so sure i would like the bed made up of cushions, but suppose could use a mattress topper with that as well. It is lovely having the bed made up ready to use. :)

We have a son 24 and 2 daughters a 21 yr old a 16yr old.
I think it will just be the 16 yes old coming with us most of the time
Is it comfy enough to chill and relax in the evenings with being 4 in ?

Do you find you have enough storage space for all the bedding

Sorry for all the questions

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
The seating area can take upto 8 as the front cab seats swivel. There is loads of lounging room. In the 510 we use a back box for chairs etc. The tall cupboard outside holds all the other garage stuff. I use outwell soft baskets for the shelving in the wardrobe. We had enough room for everyones clothes. The bedding stays on the electric bed and you can put the kids duvets on there if there is no mattress topper. We have a topper so we can only keep our bedding on it. I use a storage box in the gap under on of the sofas for the other bedding. ( when there is only 3 of us then i just put it in the wardrobe). The only compromise with the sleeping is the lower bed, it is really better for 1 but can sleep 2. My girls are tall but they decided to sleep head to toe. So sleeping bags would be best for that. The other compromise is that there is no living space once the beds are set. We do make up the lower bed if we want to watch tv before going to bed as this makes a large area to loung comfortably :)
In the 610 you will have loads of storage, very large wardrobe and lovely garage under neath. You will be fine for storage.

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We wanted more space for the kids on rainy days; although I would have preferred a fixed bed we also went for a rear lounge layout with electric bed(bessacarr 496) it will also be our first motorhome and has just arrived at the dealer we pick it up next month. We also looked at used but as MH's don't depreciate like cars we couldn't justify not paying the extra to have a new one.

Just be careful on payloads that seems to be the deciding factor with a lot of vans especially with teenagers!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do!

Get down to the caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC in October you can sit in them all!

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
We have booked our tickets to the motor show

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
We wanted more space for the kids on rainy days; although I would have preferred a fixed bed we also went for a rear lounge layout with electric bed(bessacarr 496) it will also be our first motorhome

When we went to the show last year the bessacarr 496 and the chausson 610
We're our two short listed

Went and sorted out on the 610
Then he to stop it all when hubby got ill

Hubby now all fixed so we are back looking again

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am used to a fixed bed in my caravan

There will be mainly the two of us and at times maybe 2 teenagers with us and the two dogs

So first thing, make sure you have 4 seatbelts. Put that on the list. (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
For me a garage, fixed bed, and plenty of pay load is important. Others like Vlad have different needs. Each to their own but think it through and dont rush it.
Theres probably not the perfect van in production, but one that drives small and has tardis like inside would be my choice. If you find one let me know.
Happy looking Phil

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We prefer a fixed bed and have actually just sold our coach built Adria Matrix and ordered a new PVC from Germany, we have went for two singles that can be converted to double as 90% of the time it's only the two of us and even when we had the large lounge of the Adria we would just swing the cab seats round and sit there.

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
So first thing, make sure you have 4 seatbelts. Put that on the list. (y)
It is at the top of our list

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It is different because we have a PVC and the kids don't come but we went for a rear dinette so that we have the choice of leaving it as a fixed bed or putting the topper and the bedding away and having comfy lounge space. We are off for our annual camp out for the kids next week and for the first time since we have had the van we expect to do that.. up till now the bed has been a bed full time.

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
When we went to the show last year the bessacarr 496 and the chausson 610
We're our two short listed

Went and sorted out on the 610
Then he to stop it all when hubby got ill

Hubby now all fixed so we are back looking again
Good to hear all is well

We looked as the 610 but the payload is only 510kg settled on the 496 as the payload was 900+kg and although we know ours are still little (3 months 4 and 8) we know the weight will pile on .

I've also had to do the hgv licence but at £1000 it's cheaper than having to change the MH when the kids get heavier / bring more stuff ".

We are also at the show can't wait to have a mooch about all the other MH's :)

OP
OP
michpiggy

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
What is a pvc?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont believe the no depreciation comment above. you lose 20-25% just driving off the forecourt

what you pay and what a dealer will buy back in at are hugely different if you make a bad choice

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
dont believe the no depreciation comment above. you lose 20-25% just driving off the forecourt

what you pay and what a dealer will buy back in at are hugely different if you make a bad choice

If this was my comment Appoliges if it came over like that ..I didn't mean no depresiation I meant low depreciation by comparison to cars.

I was looking at 3/5 year old MH for 10k to 15k less than new prices with no main dealer warranty. We asked and played ball and got a great discount on new so don't be afraid to ask and walk away if the discount isn't given on a new MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back