2 stroke oil added to diesel is it a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just read on a totally different topic about adding 2 stroke oil to a diesel tank to improve mpg, noise and power, anybody done it?

@rapido convert, not doubting your word, but wonder if it is only OK with older engines

As mine is already in dry dock with a turbo / engine management issue, I am very worried it cause knock on problems

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Being a cynic if this trick produces the results some claim for it then you would think the fuel companies would add it themselves.

Lots of anecdotal reports of improved mpg etc but I would like to see the results of a controlled test. It's too easy for someone who believes they get better mpg to find they apparently do but it is impossible to rule out a subconscious change of driving style in these cases. It needs a proper double blind trial where neither the driver or the person putting the fuel in knows what's in it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Engine manufacturers spend a large fortune of developing engines to work under varying conditions which includes the EN590 standard fuel available and sold in Europe. It already has the additives required (yes, including that "rubbish" bought at ASDA/Tesco etc) and the addition of extra oil to the diesel is not going to affect anything except perhaps the warranty on a newer vehicle. The is a lot of anecdotal chat about two stroke oil addition, but notwithstanding the above potential warranty issue I would not put any in a modern engine. It may have worked 20 years ago, but not now. Someone will no doubt shoot me down in flames but fuels and fuel quality has been my job for over 30 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Being a cynic if this trick produces the results some claim for it then you would think the fuel companies would add it themselves.

Lots of anecdotal reports of improved mpg etc but I would like to see the results of a controlled test. It's too easy for someone who believes they get better mpg to find they apparently do but it is impossible to rule out a subconscious change of driving style in these cases. It needs a proper double blind trial where neither the driver or the person putting the fuel in knows what's in it.
Exactly DBK (y)(y) Shell spent a fortune on their most recent fuel which claimed to improve economy by "up to" 2 litres per tankful

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Broken Link Removed

just seen this posted by @Techno100 on the other thread, looks to confirm what you both think

too good to be true :)
There's a link in that summary to the sort of proper test I was talking about - it's conclusion was folk are at best wasting there time adding 2 stroke oil to diesel. But it won't stop people doing it and being totally convinced their engines run sweeter. :):)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You can use 2 stroke oil, cooking oil, hydraulic oil and most types of thin oils in old type engines with rotary injection pumps (and some in line ones) and run them for a long while without noticing anything untoward.
Modern engines with high pressure common rail injection use components that will probably fail or block up even using moderate quantities of oils that are not diesel.
Anyone remember adding kerosene to make winter fuel? I recently had a problem with a container handler not starting due to fuel waxing and the manufacturer were clear that this is not acceptable as a fix.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Shell spent a fortune on their most recent fuel which claimed to improve economy by "up to" 2 litres per tankful
Bet they added 2 stroke oil
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As said two stroke works well in older engines

A mate of mine used to put it in his tank on his old Discovery and said it quietens it down, didnt say anything about better MPG

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You can use 2 stroke oil, cooking oil, hydraulic oil and most types of thin oils in old type engines with rotary injection pumps (and some in line ones) and run them for a long while without noticing anything untoward.
Modern engines with high pressure common rail injection use components that will probably fail or block up even using moderate quantities of oils that are not diesel.
Anyone remember adding kerosene to make winter fuel? I recently had a problem with a container handler not starting due to fuel waxing and the manufacturer were clear that this is not acceptable as a fix.
The handbook for my Jaguar says very specifically - no additives in the fuel. Not even cetane improvers - though super fuels such as VPower are permitted as they exceed EN590 rather than just meet it.

DIESEL ENGINED VEHICLES

Do not use RME (bio-diesel) except in the case of those proprietary diesel fuels which contain a mix of up to 5%. Jaguar can accept no responsibility for damage caused by using RME in concentrations greater than 5%.

Use only high quality diesel fuel according to EN590 or equivalent.

The quality of diesel fuel is variable, depending on geographic location. Always use premium or the highest quality fuel available in your locality. High quality fuel ensures a longer life for your engine components. Lower grade fuel contains higher levels of sulphur, which is detrimental to engine components. If low quality fuel is used, light coloured smoke may be evident at the exhaust.

Note: Jaguar vehicles are capable of running with up to a 5% blend of bio-diesel, in accordance with European Standard EN590.

Prolonged use of additives is not recommended. Do not add paraffin or petrol to diesel fuels.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Diesels will run on almost anything within reason. All the Western military vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan were running on 100% aviation grade kerosene, but then mpg isn't much of a consideration on a battlefield.

At the other end of the scale the old Chieftain tank was famous for oil leaks which made the engines run on their own neat engine oil. The engines just ran away stopping only when the fans disintegrated and a few conrods poked their heads out into the sunlight. If you were very brave a beret could be thrown into the air intake to stop it, but you had to remove the air filter first!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Got customer's been doing it for years & they swear by it, Tried it in our sprinter could not see any difference in mpg but noticeably quieter, could possibly make more difference to supermarket diesel

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The reason it is quieter is that it has a lower flash point so will preignite, effectively advance the timing with the fuel mix. This could also be done by moving the pump timing.
The downside is that it is possible to bend the con rods on some engines if the auto advance causes the main combustion pressure to occur before tdc.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I'm with the sceptics....if there was an advantage to be had......the 2 stroke companies would be singing its praises and marketing all these wonderful claims............i'll just stick to the cheap supermarket diesel i've been using for years with no adverse effects.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The reason it is quieter is that it has a lower flash point so will preignite, effectively advance the timing with the fuel mix. This could also be done by moving the pump timing.
The downside is that it is possible to bend the con rods on some engines if the auto advance causes the main combustion pressure to occur before tdc.

that really seems to be one hell of a risk to take, my mind is made up :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We use supermarket diesel in our old peugeot 206 but wont put it in the Race van or motorhome the difference in mileage is to big

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We use supermarket diesel in our old peugeot 206 but wont put it in the Race van or motorhome the difference in mileage is to big
You will often get better consumption by using fuels such a VPower etc but it needs to be balanced against the extra cost. Personally, I put a fill of VPower in every now and again but in this van the effect if cost neutral

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I won't be doing it my 2.8 jtd 5 tonne tag returns a constant 25 mpg at 4750 kgs all day long that'll do me.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
How much of a difference do you reckon you get using non supermarket stuff?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Okay I vote to guinea pig it.

For every negative thread there is a positive,

So next week I'm off to Saltburn marathon with no oil

Then, on the way back,

I'm adding it, will report back next Monday.

There is no risk of engine damage, that I do know, in fact if anything it's a goo D thing. Remember that these engines are used all over the world not just in ultra green Europe. The quality of fuel between here and France varies so what must the difference between here and Africa be

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
There is a lot of discussion on the addition of 2 stroke oil to diesel fuel in the Land Rover world. In general my feelings are that throughout Europe and the western world there would be little or no benefit it the engine is in good condition and working well with timing /oils /temperatures etc. all correct. I have tried in some Landies and not seen any major improvements tried cetane improvers and again if all is set up correctly then no benefit.

I could understand some 'apparent' improvements being felt if for instance the timing is slightly out or the oil used is the wrong grade or spec or the cooling system is not working at full efficiency.

For me just the diesel out of the pump is good enough and I get good MPG from normal driving

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Mostly it comes from the same tankage in the oil terminals ( supermarkets and majors use a lot of common storage such as Vopak). The chemistry and spec EN590 means that it is very hard to economically blend components differently to a) meet the spec and b) make money at the same time.

In effect, branded fuel has a few parts per million of some additives which may or may not make a difference. All fuel is sold to EN590 and all engines in Europe are designed to run on that fuel. The conclusion is obvious........

Ponder this one: if supermarket fuel is "rubbish", "makes my van break down", "causes the van to run rough", "gives terrible consumption" etc, etc (something we repeatedly read) then why do we not see thousands of vehicles littering the side of the road, why aren't trading standards and HMRC weights and measures crawling all over the supermarkets and why are the supermarkets the UK biggest fuel retailers? As the ham shanks say...... "Go figure"

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Okay I vote to guinea pig it.

For every negative thread there is a positive,

So next week I'm off to Saltburn marathon with no oil

Then, on the way back,

I'm adding it, will report back next Monday.
How are you going to account for the Hawthorne effect. Then it could be a head wind one way only. Not worth the effort Paul.:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Mostly it comes from the same tankage in the oil terminals ( supermarkets and majors use a lot of common storage such as Vopak). The chemistry and spec EN590 means that it is very hard to economically blend components differently to a) meet the spec and b) make money at the same time.

In effect, branded fuel has a few parts per million of some additives which may or may not make a difference. All fuel is sold to EN590 and all engines in Europe are designed to run on that fuel. The conclusion is obvious........

Ponder this one: if supermarket fuel is "rubbish", "makes my van break down", "causes the van to run rough", "gives terrible consumption" etc, etc (something we repeatedly read) then why do we not see thousands of vehicles littering the side of the road, why aren't trading standards and HMRC weights and measures crawling all over the supermarkets and why are the supermarkets the UK biggest fuel retailers? As the ham shanks say...... "Go figure"
Never use anything else.........I find Asda is by far the best and the cheapest. (y)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
When we go to Knock hill circuit we are always brimmed when we leave & always need fuel at Tebay services, on normal Shell etc. (not posh stuff) we get there no problem. but on supermarket fuel, diesel light is on for about 10 to15 miles before we get there.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Why add oil to oil?
We've found our Hymer doesn't return such a good mpg on Supermarket fuel and definately has more umpfh and is quieter!

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
As I said I tried it & don't bother now. But to say your con rods are going to bend is a bit dramatic, 300ml to 80lts of fuel is not going to bend con rods. Friends of ours got a lad that hoones a old pug 205 around the fields running only on waste oil from our local garage & nothing else, bugger to start when its cold & smokes!! Its the injector side of things that is quieter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back