Thinking of moving to a motorhome from caravan. (2 Viewers)

Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
As the title suggests. Camped and caravanned for years and now thinking of getting a MH. Just getting information at the moment. If we change will trade in the caravan and put money towards the MH.
Cheers
Seesaw

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As the title suggests. Camped and caravanned for years and now thinking of getting a MH. Just getting information at the moment. If we change will trade in the caravan and put money towards the MH.
Cheers
Seesaw

Hi seesaw, you are thinking of what many of us have done before, I would guess a small percentage go back to a caravan a large majority wish they had done it years before, lots of information on here, any questions just ask.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
For mainly the same reason we did the same in 2010. Additionally, we found we could get under way very quickly once we made our mind up to go, and we were wanting to do more touring especially in Europe for our main holiday than staying in one place.
What we have needed to manage is how we can use the MH to visit places in the day. We have found you have to plan this. We also try to use sites/cl's where it is easy to walk, or where there is public transport nearby.
I have just had a couple of days this week with grandchildren minus SWMBO who was looking after her sister following a major op. Stayed at a CL for 3 nights nr. Telford, and visited the Ironbridge museums and RAF museum at Cosworth, both after checking parking for MH beforehand. The grandchildren love the MH, so you may need to consider your layout and how you want to use it as the no. 1 priority.
Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Will have a good look around the site and get back about the questions I have.
Cheers

Seesaw

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I would have thought that a caravan and car for weekending would be more convenient. Maybe a different caravan-car combination would be a better option?
If I could be bothered with towing I think I might go for tugging,
regards
alan b

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I would have thought that a caravan and car for weekending would be more convenient. Maybe a different caravan-car combination would be a better option?
If I could be bothered with towing I think I might go for tugging,
regards
alan b

We do more two day trips away than longer trips.

Visit place A on day one, then stay overnight at CL/Wild/Britstop
Visit place B on day two and drive home after.

This would be more difficult in a caravan as we would have to pay for two nights on a campsite in order to visit place B on day two and then have to go back there to collect the caravan before driving home as there's probably not too many places you can park up to visit towing a caravan.

Admittedly, on the rare occasions that we have spent multiple nights in one place a caravan with a car to get about in would be preferable, but we rarely do this. Even when on a two week holiday the most we'll spend in one place is 2 nights.

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think I'd be using sites anyway, so parking up for 2 or 3 nights, getting the kit out, not having to pack stuff away all the time, and using the car to explore the area would be my plan.
We'd all do things differently, within limits, but makes it important to think the options through,
regards
alan b

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Given where the OP lives then a MH would be ideal for short breaks but this is not to say they aren't good for longer trips too!

OP
OP
S
Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Thanks for the comments. A lot of the time we would not be using sites so caravan is not really an option.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We did the change from caravan to motorhome in 2010 and love it. Wouldn't go back. We do stay on sites as well as tour and it works fine. Bikes on the back mean we're fitter than we were when we had the car to get around in. The difficult thing is choosing your layout but you have that same dilemma in a caravan. We wanted rear seat belts so that we could occasionally take friends or grandchildren. Enjoy the search.... and welcome to the Fun.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh you should definitely buy a Motorhome, it opens up a whole new load of options, especially if you venture across the water to France etc.

It just so happens I have the perfect van for you for sale right now -
Broken Link Removed

What a coincidence!!

P.S welcome to The forum by the way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We changed in 2008 best thing we ever did. Completely changed our style of camping rarely ever stay on sites now, do what we want to do and move on, find we do far less driving as don't need to go back to the same place every night. We find it much more flexible than a caravan and so much easier when you stop for the night, handbrake on swivel seats, job done.
One thing we do find is we have practically given up on the UK (England really) due to the fact Motorhomes just aren't welcome, not a problem for you in Scotland, or for us with a channel port only 20 miles away.

Reactions: JJ

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Hi, we think you can get the best of both worlds. We changed in 2009 and now do far more weekends or overnights. If we are going for a week or two we take the toad as well.
Never been keen on small cars for caravans so we had Land Rover products (still keep one as a comfort blanket!!) but now the wife's car does 60mpg and the Moho only drops 2mpg pulling it so the savings are really noticeable compared to our caravan days fuel costs.
Also without a doubt, the Moho community are far more friendly and sociable. Occasionally we use CC sites due to the location but do notice that most folk cannot bring themselves to say hello. How different things are at Moho rallies.
Take the plunge, you will most likely wonder why you took so long.

OP
OP
S
Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Oh you should definitely buy a Motorhome, it opens up a whole new load of options, especially if you venture across the water to France etc.

It just so happens I have the perfect van for you for sale right now -
Broken Link Removed

What a coincidence!!

P.S welcome to The forum by the way.

Thanks will bear that in mind. I was looking for something with two single beds at the back and a double at the front over the cab. Would also like a proper shower as we will be off site a lot of the time. Any suggestions?

Hi, we think you can get the best of both worlds. We changed in 2009 and now do far more weekends or overnights. If we are going for a week or two we take the toad as well.
Never been keen on small cars for caravans so we had Land Rover products (still keep one as a comfort blanket!!) but now the wife's car does 60mpg and the Moho only drops 2mpg pulling it so the savings are really noticeable compared to our caravan days fuel costs.
Also without a doubt, the Moho community are far more friendly and sociable. Occasionally we use CC sites due to the location but do notice that most folk cannot bring themselves to say hello. How different things are at Moho rallies.
Take the plunge, you will most likely wonder why you took so long.
Yes also intend using it abroad. Usually take six weeks off in the summer school holidays as I am very busy in the winter. We usually go to France for most of that time.
As I wrote above any suggestions would be helpful.
Cheers
Seesaw

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
We are also changing from caravan to MH, mainly because we are planning to travel around Europe for a while and want to be able to wild camp more. We had the same thoughts as most regarding the restrictions of having to pack away if you want to go anywhere but have decided we will take our bikes or use shanks' pony, all the better for our health anyway
Now, does anyone know where that treasure map is? I could do with finding a few to help me with my desired purchase!

Reactions: DBK

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We sold our Motorhomes & got a caravan and car, but we realised straight away it was a mistake! Stuck with it for two years, but gave in and bought a Motorhome again! Got a PVC this time, and so glad to be back!

OP
OP
S
Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Pardon my ignorance - what's a PVC.

On another note. Is there a way to read a post and then move onto another post in the same section? Used to doing that on another forum I'm on.

Seesaw

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
MH - pull up, handbrake on, kettle on. Using the principle of his jobs, her jobs while kettle is boiling he gets chairs out. Ten minutes later, you're on holiday. Supping tea, watching caravanners manouevering, braking, unpacking, balancing, setting up awning, THEN fetching water, hooking up, only THEN getting kettle on - I know which I'd rather do. We take bikes and walking boots with us - out and about exploring in no time. There's really only one choice . . . . .

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Went from tugging to a MH and then after 8 years went back again.

Overall I prefer the caravan and the freedom a car gives when on a site.

I found over the years with the MH I was doing less and less free camping and using more and more sites.

At one time I was pulling a caravan over to Spain behind a PVC.

Eventually I could not see the point of a MH if I was using sites.

:cooler:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We switched last year and it has been the best decision we have ever made. We go away far more often for 1or 2 nights. We have just done our first trip to europe and we had a blast. We are getting fitter walking most places. Do not miss the caravan car option at all!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im in the process of switching from tugger to MH , I came to the decision after hitching up my caravan and watching a man and woman getting into their MH and just driving off , then I saw the same on a site in reverse and thought that for nipping away for a couple of nights a MH looked like a great idea . I started looking into it , I even visited campsites that are not too far away from my home to see how motorhomers camped , sure there are advantages with both methods but after I saw a couple on their e-bikes I thought that theres the answer . I still have my caravan and will use it this year but ,two weeks ago I paid the deposite on a new MH , ive never spent that much money on anything other than a house but im looking forward
to the future , im going to spend the first year touring the uk as I have an elderly dog and don't want to put her through the pet passport process but once she has gone I will be off touring for months at a time , im really itching to do it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back