Noisy sliding doors on Panel Van Conversions. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My sliding door on my van has always been noisy. The biggest cause was the roller at the top whose rubber had worn away/perished.

Last night I decided to test a fix using Sugru... I applied a sausage around the roller and then ran it across my desk to get it smooth and trimmed it with a knife. I left it overnight to set and installed it today.

Wow.. Much much quieter and the door closes better now. Fiat won't sell the roller on it's own you need to buy the whole arm and it is overe £100.... This fix cost me a couple of £.

Now I am not sure how long it will hold up.... But if it lasts 6 months and I have to do it again it is still saving me a lot of money.

Sugru is brilliant stuff.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
oh, I have also previously used Sugru to fix my kettle lid which the handle smashed on. I also used it to fix my steering wheel which had big chunks missing out of it. It has been brilliant.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
oh, I have also previously used Sugru to fix my kettle lid which the handle smashed on. I also used it to fix my steering wheel which had big chunks missing out of it. It has been brilliant.
Getting peckish whilst driving??? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It's not the roller that makes the noise with mine - it's having to slam the door to make it shut properly, otherwise at night we can't central deadlock it from inside... any ideas for that Karl??

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Great fix, but some pics of what you did would have been kool Gromett (y)
Damn, I knew I had forgotten something. I took the before pictures but forgot to take the after pictures before refitting it :(

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's not the roller that makes the noise with mine - it's having to slam the door to make it shut properly, otherwise at night we can't central deadlock it from inside...
Having a window open helps a bit - no air pressure build up inside so you don't need so much force. But it makes even more noise when you first try it, because you slam to too hard until you adjust.

It would be possible to adjust the catch so that the door didn't have to be forced quite so hard into the rubber surround before the catch fastened, but then you run the risk if it not being watertight & increased wind noise while driving. It's a delicate balance.

Apparently the new soft-close doors are good while they work, but some reliability problems have been reported. Inevitably, it's one more thing to go wrong.

I have resorted to going in & out via the cab doors before now. If I have a window open when I shut those, I can be fairly quiet. All I have to worry about then is the double-clunk of the central locking & the flashing lights. That is surprisingly loud & bright at 2am on a still night!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Great fix, but some pics of what you did would have been kool Gromett (y)
Managed to get a picture but neither are very good sorry.

roller without sugru.png
roller with sugru.png

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So mamy problems reported with soft close.....

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We find opening the cab door slightly and then closing the sliding door makes a big difference, bit of a faff though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back