New or Secondhand,would you change if you were me? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We have a nice, from new Hobby Siesta 650Fl motorhome. Now five + years old and 53+K miles (as you can see we use our MH). After five plus years and 53k miles its beginning to show a few signs of regular use, it's on a Ford Transit and this is running well.

Should we change now or run the van into the ground, which ever way we do it I now it will cost us a lot of money. I reckon we have about another 10 years of Motorhoming!!.

Should we buy another new or seconhand (low milage) OR WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

colyboy

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The more you change the more money you spend, the dealers need to make a cut on each transaction. There's only you the customer who can provide that money.
Stick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I agree with @Cal54 stick with what you have a good service ,empty it all out a good clean up then restock your "New" van and enjoy your travels for another few years :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stick, you have a tranny unless IT severely goes against the grain it will run for ever, and relatively cheap to repair if it does go wrong as compared to these new things that cost a fortune to change an oil filter

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I never understand people who change vans they are very happy with because they think the van is getting old...

I guess it is what you are used to, but a five year old van with only 50,000 miles on the clock would be practically brand new to me!

I have had my Hymer for 8 years now and it was 20 years old when I got it. It has just reached 180,000 kms and runs fine for me. No trouble with spares (filters etc).

I think you should put aside a portion of the money that you would spend changing the van as an "in case of emergency fund". I reckon with TLC and regular servicing your current van will serve you well for years and years.

But you will know what is best for you to do...

JJ :cool:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
If your current van meets your motor homing needs then stick with it. Our Auto Sleeper is 7 years old now and performs perfectly in all departments. A dealer at a show (once he realised that we were not likely to purchase from him) told us that the new ones are not a patch on the older ones for quality and reliability and that we would be mad to ever change it,

The Tinca's

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Financially it nearly always works out best to run it to ground, but then the replacement cost is a big chunk of cash although in theory you will be better off.

On the other hand I find as I get older and have more cash at my disposal it's nice to treat yourself to new things, the boss doesn't agree, she runs a 16 year old car and refuses to change it, my cars is 3 years old and I want a new one.

A good compromise for a Motorhome is 5 - 6 years, the cash difference to change is not too high, models have changed sufficiently to make it worthwhile.

Also if you are looking at another German van with the £/€ at the moment probably not going to be a better time to buy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I change every two to three years normally. Reason being the hit not so much. (Buy smart sell smart) I certainly would not do this just for the sake of it....if your happy with it keep it unless you really want to change. If you need to canvas opinion on it sounds like your happy enough really?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Difficult one this. I made a list of predicted expenditure for my old van...... Three years more MOT's, new tyres, other bits etc and then used the figures to justify my spend on a new one to the IMF (wife)!

At least with a new model, no one has had their maulers all over it and the newer ones come with a few more features.... LED lighting, Cruise, USB sockets, Hands-free phone hook up, Cab Air-Con and other bits and bobs.

If you've got a few bob, SPEND IT!

Yeah, I know, there will be loads of Funsters following me to say how happy they are and the new vans a crap BUT, there's the value-added smug pleasure of having the latest van on the drive. Then, of course, you can come on here and moan about it! :D

Buy new and sod the expense!
Happy hunting.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you look at the depreciation losses you have made on your MoHo so far I think you will find its a lot, but, it will now slow down considerably.
If you sell you will be selling a very good vehicle still in good nick that is a great deal cheaper than it was new.
Then you go out and pay top dollar on a new MoHo that immediately starts loosing a massive amount of money as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.
I have only ever bought one vehicle brand new and would never, ever do it again.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
If the M/H you have is solid and you like the layout then we would say stick with it.
We bought a new Autotrail 2 years ago and whilst we have made a lot of changes to make it our own, we have to say we miss the superior build quality of our older model.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you look at the depreciation losses you have made on your MoHo so far I think you will find its a lot, but, it will now slow down considerably.
If you sell you will be selling a very good vehicle still in good nick that is a great deal cheaper than it was new.
Then you go out and pay top dollar on a new MoHo that immediately starts loosing a massive amount of money as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.
I have only ever bought one vehicle brand new and would never, ever do it again.
Really depends on how well you buy & what you can achieve when selling, as Eddie says "buy smart sell smart" sold our last van at just under 6 years old, depreciation 23 %, ( 5% a year).
Will admit the main reason for changing was we wanted an A Class, a garage & an auto box, however the current van is just over a year old, but due to the better exchange rate I'm getting tempted with a new van.

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
We think you will have a job to run it into the ground in your quoted 10 years of Motorhoming left, based on your current useage.
As long as it is regularly serviced and you are happy with it, why change, you might something else to spend the spare cash on from your Bucket List!

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We nearly got tempted to buy a new van last week (ours is now 11 yrs old) but decided against it on grounds of depreciation and, as someone else has said, the finish wasn't a patch on our existing van, in fact it looked rather tacky. We're going to stick with what we've got and maybe go for a good secondhand one eventually.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
If you are happy with it and think another 10 years is about how long you will need it, it will still have enough resale value for a great holiday. Buy new and you will have to take the hit of the upgrade cost as well as the depreciation.
If you think there is something that more suits your needs, get it as 10 years in one you like is better than putting up with one that you are not totally satisfied with.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Stick!
If you do change go for a used van, couple of years old.
Why would you want someone else's cast off if you can afford a nice shiny new one?
Depreciation on Motorhomes is so low not worth bothering with used if you can afford new.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you can afford a new one then why not? It is simply a matter of cost. Remember you are a long time dead..........

On the other hand, if you are happy and not really bothered?..........

It's your money and your choice, every one here will have a different 'angle'

Me? New! :D

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Last year I sold my 2004 Burstner and bought a 1991 Eriba, downsizing and releasing cash that no doubt my kids will spend when I'm gone............which is OK by me

The Eriba has everything the Burstner had, except no Turbo, ECU, and other stuff to go wrong. I added electric power steering and it drives just as well.

I love the classic look and won't be changing it anytime soon

If you have the spare cash, and nothing more important to spend it on then buy what you want.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Keep it, in 5 years you will be asking the same question.
Its still low milage, I USE my motorhome as you say you do also, but my annual milage is double what you do.
Your annual mileage will take many years to run it into the ground.
Keep on top of repairs, and enjoy your motorhoming.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Surely the answer to this depends on the main ingredient ? Coin ?

If you have the money and are inclined its a self answering question ! Many ask which MH to buy few ask if they need to or not ....

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Personally I would look for something around a year old as it will still be pristine inside and out but will have taken the initial depreciation hit.

Ten years is a long time to go when you're already noticing that things are getting a bit worn - its only going to get worse! You may be inclined to continue longer than ten years if your MH is still nice rather than completely worn out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back