Caravans are so much better than motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
When it comes to choosing an awning ;).

Just measure around the track and go pick one you like, easy (y).

I've been looking on line, reading various threads on 'Fun' :), but I'm none the wiser, well maybe a bit but nowhere near to choosing something as yet!
  • Will it fit my Fiamma 3.5 track ?
  • Will the habitation door clear it or open into it (door opening only 1'2" from end track) ?
  • What about the gap down awning sides due to Fiamma sticking out 6" from side of van ?
We're going to be wintering in Spain and staying put for three months so I figured it might be a useful addition to our modest sized van. In all honesty I can't say I much like the modern trend of lightweight drive-a-way or air awnings, and from what I'm gathering they are not really ideal for 'long term erection' :rolleyes: or the Spanish sunshine. Maybe it's the memory of those nice old steel framed awnings from our tugging days...but I keep being drawn to the likes of the Dorema Challenger :)

http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/motorhome_annexes/challenger.htm

I'm just put off by the weight of 28 kilo and what I'm assuming would be a pretty hefty couple of storage bags to loose somewhere!

Oh well, got until November to find something at least! (n)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Kampa Rally air pro 260 L,and it is no lightweight at 18 kg.
I would be quite happy to have it up for 3mths or more in Spain during winter.
Clearing door easily on our LMC (well,by a couple of inches)

We don't attach it to the Fiamma rail because it would be 6" out from van-I've attached an aluminium awning rail just below the Fiamma.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Why not just get a free-standing shelter, then it's easy to go out in the van whenever you want. No need to attach it to your MH.

For example, the quick-erect screenhouse by Khyam, or something similar.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In the past I've attached a rail to the underside of the Fiamma casing as close to the van as possible. Cranked side legs are also available (the short cranked part clears the Fiamma and the main part of the pole can be very close to the van). There's also a company that will fit a full (caravan-style) awning rail to a motorhome - which would work well on some vans but not others depending on shape. Another possibility (not tried as far as I know) would be a caravan awning using curved side poles incorporating awning track to complete the sides. You're correct though - there's more choice for caravans than for motorhomes unless a little lateral thinking is applied.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
All good suggestions thanks, I guess to some extent if we do get one I'm kinda hankering for the old style caravan awning type to sit in. The Freestander Cumulus which I think is part of the Isabella group also looks nice and because it has the back wall it wouldn't have to be right against the van. Looks nice in pics! :).

I know it's a big heavy kinda beast, but as it would be just for winter in Spain trips it wouldn't really matter finding the space to take it...well that's my thinking :rolleyes:.

download.jpg

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
In the past I've attached a rail to the underside of the Fiamma casing as close to the van as possible. Cranked side legs are also available (the short cranked part clears the Fiamma and the main part of the pole can be very close to the van). There's also a company that will fit a full (caravan-style) awning rail to a motorhome - which would work well on some vans but not others depending on shape. Another possibility (not tried as far as I know) would be a caravan awning using curved side poles incorporating awning track to complete the sides. You're correct though - there's more choice for caravans than for motorhomes unless a little lateral thinking is applied.
Hi, just seen this. How did you fit the rail to the underside of the fiamma awning. Self tappers or sikaflex or both. Thanks Glenn.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have a globus size 3 drive away /stand alone awning as pictured in adverts.
very substantial with strong poles rails
fittings etc. it also has the curtains as shown
in the adverts. it is very like a traditional
caravan awning .we only go away for short
w/ end breaks so is not been used but for
a long break as you are taking it would be
perfect. ours is in ex con if you are looking at
this type of awning we are thinking of getting one more suited to our current needs its just a thought hope you get sorted
out .if you want to know more please contact me best wishes jan.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I use a Kampa Rallye PRO 330, alloy poles, slide it into the Omnistore canopy rail and wind the canopy back in tight to the van. Good awning and not had a problem with it fitting tight upto van wall. I suppose it all depends if the canopy is a semi flush fitting or stand off type.
I kept this back when I sold my caravan and was quite chuffed when I found it fitted the Motorhome.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a Khyam motordome drive away. its stood up to all sorts of weather and is simple and quick to errect and connect/disconnect the extension chute to the fiamma. the fibreglass poles are hinged and remain attached to the fabric making it idiot proof. I can put it up in 10 minutes and takes 60 seconds to attach or detach
not a cheap option I know but weve had all types over the years and the khyam is the best

the video above shows the short version, but it is identical other than height

floor area is 3m x 3m + 1/2m x 3m by the door

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I use a Kampa Rallye PRO 330, alloy poles, slide it into the Omnistore canopy rail and wind the canopy back in tight to the van. Good awning and not had a problem with it fitting tight upto van wall. I suppose it all depends if the canopy is a semi flush fitting or stand off type.
I kept this back when I sold my caravan and was quite chuffed when I found it fitted the Motorhome.
I'm interested to read this as we have one left over from our caravanning days, I agree it's a jolly fine awning.
I haven't yet tried fitting it to our MH, I'd always thought that the edge that connects to the caravan awning rail would be much too long on the the MH as the wind out awning is shorter.
How have you coped with this?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

That's what we have.

We don't bother winding the awning out at all though. With a little step ladder you can thread the awning onto the awning rail without disturbing the wind out. Well you can with our Omnistor.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
When it comes to choosing an awning ;).

Will it fit my Fiamma 3.5 track ?
Will the habitation door clear it or open into it (door opening only 1'2" from end track) ?
What about the gap down awning sides due to Fiamma sticking out 6" from side of van ?
Maybe it's the memory of those nice old steel framed awnings from our tugging days...but I keep being drawn to the likes of the Dorema Challenger :)

http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/motorhome_annexes/challenger.htm

I'm just put off by the weight of 28 kilo and what I'm assuming would be a pretty hefty couple of storage bags to loose somewhere!

Oh well, got until November to find something at least! (n)

Hi David, I've got a Dorema Highlander XL in the loft you can have if you want. It's about 6/7 years old, maroon colour to fit a motorhome (not camper).

I'll dig some photos out when I get home if you're interested.

As you say it's quite heavy, comes in two bags, one for the canvas and one for the steel poles. It's also got the attachment for fitting to a fiamma rollout awning and storm straps. Very stable though once erected.

Condition from memory is it's in really good shape but I haven't used it for at least 3 years. It's just taking up space in the loft.

Cheers
Alan

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We don't bother winding the awning out at all though. With a little step ladder you can thread the awning onto the awning rail without disturbing the wind out. Well you can with our Omnistor.

Thank you for that info Chris, I will try that next time we use it, probably this weekend with the weather as it's been.(y)(y)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Why not just get a free-standing shelter, then it's easy to go out in the van whenever you want. No need to attach it to your MH.

For example, the quick-erect screenhouse by Khyam, or something similar.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=342

Mike
We've got one of these - find it very useful when we are on site and for storage and sitting out in the evenings or in the rain. I'm working on a way to get one of the flaps to attach to the wind out awning rail so that we can get into it without getting wet.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm interested to read this as we have one left over from our caravanning days, I agree it's a jolly fine awning.
I haven't yet tried fitting it to our MH, I'd always thought that the edge that connects to the caravan awning rail would be much too long on the the MH as the wind out awning is shorter.
How have you coped with this?
I think my Omnistore is 4mtrs so the Kampa 330 just fits, there may be just a gnats 3rd leg of the extended awning tape protruding but has no effect to roof and side walls. If your Kampas a 330 and Omnistore canopy 3.5mtrs I would think you'd be fine. If your canopy is a Fiamma, you may need a 8 converter as the bead size for awning tape is a bit larger. Any othe questions, please ask :)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the recent additions to this thread, I had given up looking to be honest and was thinking about just a simple day tent. We're on a site called Beachside in Hayle at the moment and boy, we could do with an awning here as the chairs and tables have been in and out of the van daily due to the ever changing weather!

Thanks especially to Jan @beacons564 and to Alan @aldhp21, I'll be in touch :)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
On our last van we used a Kampa Rally which we were very happy with.
We bought a caravan version as they are much cheaper than the MH versions and loads of them for sale on eBay.
We had a length of aluminium awning rail sikaflxed to the Side of the van just below the Fiamma awning. This meant we could position the awning where we wanted it rather than where the dealers had installed the Fiamma. Ie avoiding locker doors etc.
We chose a Kampa Rally because a few years ago at the Stratford Rally a really strong wind blew up and everybody took their awnings down except those with Kampa Rallys. Ours served us well and whilst no lightweight it was no trouble to put up and was very durable. We sold it again on eBay when we bought our current van and got nearly all our money back.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
All of our awning for Spain worries are now over and done with thanks to the fantastic and generous offer from Alan and Lyn, @aldhp21 :).

Today we picked up this lovely Dorema awning (y) which they offered to us free of charge :), it doesn't get any better than that! A small donation to Alan's favoured charity, Macmillan, was accepted but in view of the lovely condition of the awning and the fact it fits perfectly, we will better this in due course (y).

What a great couple of Funsters :love:

Many thanks again Alan and Lyn :).

FB_IMG_1442075499826.jpg

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
You're very welcome, and now I've got additional space in the loft. Just need to get rid of a shed load of lladro and I can start the loft conversion.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
You're very welcome, and now I've got additional space in the loft. Just need to get rid of a shed load of lladro and I can start the loft conversion.
What have you got? my wife loves the stuff!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back