Windbreak.. (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking a basic lightweight but stable windbreak.

Recommendations please ?

Are these any good ?
Broken Link Removed

No. They are a complete waste of time.

We have Jormax ones which are an eye watering amount of money but are absolutely top class. I won't ever need to buy any more. We have the bits that make up a pet enclosure and it's great. If you do go for it you will also need a lump hammer. A rubber mallet won't do the job (y)

http://jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends what you want to use it for! You can spend a little or a lot, have some that are a pain i the bum to put up, others that area a breeze.

The type you've found are okay so long as you make sure that you peg them out properly - that's the key to keeping them stable and upright! They can be tricky to put up until you get the knack but are quite light and pack down small so are much easier to store. You can leave each poles in one piece if you can store them like that which makes them a bit quicker to put up.

Some people swear by the traditional wooden pole type but the can easily be blown over in the wind if they too aren't secured with cords and pegged out which is something most people don't do - when we were at Norfolk show I saw quite a few of the wooden type mimicking the leaning tower of Piza!

The Jormax ones are more stable partly because they are hammered much more securely into the ground and also have more framework - a tension bar across the top to keep them rigid coupled with the angled piece of windbreak which gives support ... if you look at their site even the one that is stretched out fully in a straight line still has a small right angle piece. I know they are the 'bees knees' - if wanting to make a secure enclosure they can't be beaten but most people don't NEED this level of security.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I went for the Jormax ones to make a secure enclosure for the dogs. The van skirt and the gate are both great ideas.

@Charlie I have a couple of very similar ones to the one in your link that you can have if you're ever anywhere near Northamptonshire.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I went for the Jormax ones to make a secure enclosure for the dogs. The van skirt and the gate are both great ideas.

@Charlie I have a couple of very similar ones to the one in your link that you can have if you're ever anywhere near Northamptonshire.

That's very nice of you but I don't get up your way.. Thanks though !!

I'm just looking for a lightweight blocker nothing heavy duty but if they are that bad I will not bother..

Thanks .

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have a couple that get used on odd occasions. like on a site where next door had tethered a yapping rat outside. every time we went in or out with our dogs it went into hyper yap mode. with the windbreak it restricted the view and gave us some peace

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No. They are a complete waste of time.

We have Jormax ones which are an eye watering amount of money but are absolutely top class. I won't ever need to buy any more. We have the bits that make up a pet enclosure and it's great. If you do go for it you will also need a lump hammer. A rubber mallet won't do the job (y)

http://jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk
Quite agree - we baulked at the Jormax ones, which are superb and went for the cheaper option of Cornish windbreaks which work a heck of a lot better than I thought. The bracing pieces at the top are essential, though

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
talking of dogs and windbreaks one of my dogs just did:imoutahere:

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
20150514_083121_Ladyknowe Ct.jpg

Jormax...We don't really use them as an enclosure. .. just as a windbreak and they are excellent

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We got the one's from Aldi there five pole but are cloth instead of plastic £30 did see them at Peterborough for about £39 so you can get them elsewhere they have metal point and band around top so you can drive them home with a lump hammer.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've still got the old wooden poled ones which we bought when we started camping (in a tent) more than 40 years ago! and they're still going strong. We do use some guy lines to help with stability.

Denise

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We bought the Outwell windbreak. Tried it w/e 25/26 th at Corfe Castle in front of my sons tent. ( we will share it's use)

Two days of high winds and rain, needed to double guy rope each pole and it stood up well. Only downside is that there is a three inch gap at bottom of windbreak.

Overall very pleased with it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back