Windows 10, you might not like this. (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Fairy Nuff. I was just making the point that it's not something new being introduced by W10.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was going to post this 2 days ago but forgot.....

Windows 10 doesn't offer much privacy by default here is how to fix it.

Windows 10, by default, has permission to report a huge amount of data back to Microsoft. By clicking through "Express Settings" during installation, you allow Windows 10 to gather up your contacts, calendar details, text and touch input, location data, and a whole lot more. The OS then sends it all back to Microsoft so that it can be used for personalisation and targeted ads

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

I have heard more failure stories of windows 10 over the last 3 days than I did under windows 7...
And these are tech people having the issues. One guy who is a windows support tech has not been able to install it on 2 out of 3 of his computers. With one of them crashing as soon as it gets to the desktop.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was going to post this 2 days ago but forgot.....

Windows 10 doesn't offer much privacy by default here is how to fix it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

I have heard more failure stories of windows 10 over the last 3 days than I did under windows 7...
And these are tech people having the issues. One guy who is a windows support tech has not been able to install it on 2 out of 3 of his computers. With one of them crashing as soon as it gets to the desktop.
How does what you are saying about lack of privacy in W10 compare to Google the champions in lack of privacy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've decided, as I am not a terrorist, that I don't give a stuff about this.:) Tesco know for example I buy more wine than the doctor thinks we should and every Saturday morning I buy a bunch of flowers. If it keeps someone in employment analysing this information then that is fine with me and ideally one day I will turn up at Tesco and they will already have filled my basket with what their computer thinks I need. That would be great!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Tesco know for example I buy more wine than the doctor thinks we should and every Saturday morning I buy a bunch of flowers.

Yes indeed... and as we allow this data mining to continue in every facet of our lives... From our eating habits, driving habits (black boxes) and Social Habits ( Apps that track our thoughts and feeling)... The younger generation will pay a premium on things like health care, Insurance, automatic fines et all. ...

Also a significant difference in the TOC with windows 10 is that you agree to let Microsoft provide access to everything... And i mean everything on or connected to your PC.. If an authority asks...

As opposed to currently having to obtain a warrant and seizing your computer... To access any private or hidden folders / passwords etc..

I think we are moving to dark days of total control... All on the pretense of a Boogie Man and terror scare tactics...

:)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Funny that :) I just came online to say how easily win10 had installed on 3 machines here- 2 had 8.1 and upgrade was very fast and trouble free,the other was an old Dell runung win7 and that took longer with a few issues to sort after,but nothing beyond my ancient A+Cert. capabilities.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The cynic in me says that yes, probably they will do some genetic profiling and maybe my grandkids will struggle to get health insurance, but the other part of me (the part that's the opposite of cynical, sorry I can't remember, oh my God, the grandkids might get amnesia too :LOL:) says what if it leads to a medical breakthrough also ? Anyway, a bit like DBK says, if you've got nothing to hide, or am I being too naive ? Bugger, just remembered that overdue library book from 1972 and now the information's out there...........:eek:

Reactions: DBK
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Let's face it they have ALL been at it for years.

If you want to use a computer, then you just have to accept it!
No you don't. You can use Linux and not use google at all. That is what I do :whistle::p.

You do still have a choice. I also block advertisers from my computer for exactly the same reason. In addition they are are a regular source of drive by malware installs...

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-huffpo-other-sites-downloaded-extortionware/

I know it is a lot to expect the average member of the public to be able to keep up with all of this and protect themselves.

I want my computer to only do what I tell it to do. I don't want to share any of my personal info unless I specifically give that company permission up front and I know exactly what data they are taking and what they are using it for.

The problem is these large companies do get hacked and I don't trust them with any of my data. They may not have bad intentions but they are notorious for leaking stuff.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
No you don't. You can use Linux and not use google at all. That is what I do :whistle::p.

You do still have a choice. I also block advertisers from my computer for exactly the same reason. In addition they are are a regular source of drive by malware installs...

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-huffpo-other-sites-downloaded-extortionware/

I know it is a lot to expect the average member of the public to be able to keep up with all of this and protect themselves.

I want my computer to only do what I tell it to do. I don't want to share any of my personal info unless I specifically give that company permission up front and I know exactly what data they are taking and what they are using it for.

The problem is these large companies do get hacked and I don't trust them with any of my data. They may not have bad intentions but they are notorious for leaking stuff.

Linux is very good.......but are you as safe as you think you are?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had 3 more people on facebook including family members who have given up on Windows 10 already. It breaks Steam, Sound problems, and 2 lots of graphics card driver issues.

I am hearing more problems than clean installs... Although that may be perception bias on my part. Or that people have updated and not posted about the clean installs. Complaints do tend to get further than success.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have just installed 10 on about half of the computers here 6 up and running 1 failure so far - the failure is a very old Toshiba one that had already been updated from a previous Windows a couple of times. So far quite impressed with 10 and working faster than 7 professional that we had. Networking OK with those still on 7 professional - just need to get my head around the layout which is actually quite logical ---- in its own way -- but not where it was a couple of days ago. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back