maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I am now on my second radio in our van and still I can only get decent reception with a very strong signal, most of the time I get varying levels of interferance ranging from niggling to switch the radio off. Any suggestions for an aerial to replace the standard Ford one.

I have isolated and dealt with the 12volt to usb charger problems.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think @Addie from motorhomewifi did a blog somewhere about fitting an active aerial to his van. I read it just after I'd installed my solar panel and couldn't face taking all the cab trim off again to do it, though the reception on mine is terrible too.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My radio reception can be poor due to the Ford ariel. My solution is to unscrew the whip and squirt some WD40 into the stub and whip thread and reconnect. Seems to work, I do it each year and so far so good

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have the same problem - great reception when stationary but rubbish when moving. Our aerial seems to be attached to the wing mirror housing, and after a quick look hubby couldn't see that it would unscrew without dismantling the whole thing, so he left it for now. Funny thing was, the signal was better on the next journey! Hope it stays like that, cos I find it really annoying! Our last van was the same (ducatto), and we never did get a solution! How hard can it be for covertors to ensure a decent radio signal! Even rubbish on the M25, and I get cross on there anyway! OK - rant over!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We have the same problem - great reception when stationary but rubbish when moving. Our aerial seems to be attached to the wing mirror housing, and after a quick look hubby couldn't see that it would unscrew without dismantling the whole thing, so he left it for now. Funny thing was, the signal was better on the next journey! Hope it stays like that, cos I find it really annoying! Our last van was the same (ducatto), and we never did get a solution! How hard can it be for covertors to ensure a decent radio signal! Even rubbish on the M25, and I get cross on there anyway! OK - rant over!

Mine is the rubbery whip mounted off the near side mirror. Tell hubby to just give it a good twist with a pair of pliers or grips, I put some rag on the jaws to protect the rubbery bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maxi77

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Took the wire aerial of the mounting and it seemed to have something likethread sealant on it. Have cleaned it up with a tap and die and applied the WD40. Away this weekend so will seehow it goes.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Have same trouble with our skoda fabia. I took the rubber aerial off cleaned it , put wd40 on it and did not make any difference to the reception at all. Have given up and do not bother with a radio now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back