Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
I will try and keep my request short, as i have a problem explaining my self, ok I need help with my solar install, I have an old motorhome and I want to install 6X 100W 12V panels that I've already bought, I'm thinking of 6X Trojan T105, Volt 6, AH 225 I've read lots and lots but, some say this and some say that, (I am gathering as much info as possible in written form) i now have brain overload, I would like to know whats the best way to hook all these up, please? (keep them at 12v in parallel?) I know i need a MPPT controller, which one? i looked at a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 45 amp 12/24/48V, but its a lot of money is there a good alternative? Just to add I want to run a fridge freezer, lowest energy that i can find, so i will need an inverter, maybe 12v to 240 2000w pure sine wave? any suggestions? also looking at a Durite B2B 24v to 12v charger. Many Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's a heck of a lot of solar panels! What MH have you got?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Bump

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, i used to have a fifth wheel but not no more big mistake on my part i had to sell it and lost a big chunk of money, but that's past now. I now have an old daf 45 7.5 ton that was converted by someone years ago, that i bought about a month ago, i store it at another location about 20 miles away from where I live, so working on her is a bit hard, i've just found a load of damp in the front part on the luton part, and the water heater has a leak under the seat, it seems i've made yet another mistake, but hay ho i'll not dwell on it, this is motorhome fun after all lol

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That's a hell of a bank of panels and batteries. The panels need to be wired up in parallel. The batteries are each 6V so I guess they need to be wired up in pairs is series (to make 12V) and then each pair is wired up in parallel. But never having used 6V batteries I am not sure!

Can't answer on MMPPT controller. When I fitted my solar panels (only 2 x 100W) I used a Schaudt controller because it was compatible with my existing Schaudt Electrobloc.

I am not sure that even 6 panels are going to produce enough power in the UK to reliably run a standard fridge freezer (or are you talking about a compressor model?) as well as all the other bits and bobs you will use.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm hoping to be in sunnier parts of the world for most of the tiime, as for the fridge freezer im looking at those new ones with Digital Inverter Technology.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Maddy1 - I would repost this under the title solar/battery help needed if I were you. I think you will get the attention of the members that know all about this stuff then. Worth a try anyway, as the way you are aiming to power your habitation is a little different to most euro vans.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ah yes that does make more sense to change the title, it's the problem i have i can't see it unless someone points it out, its just a bit of brain damage from about 40 years ago that i have to live with, thanks for pointing it out, can i edit the title or would i need to start new post?

I just realized you can't change title so new post it is then, thanks

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
No you are right you cannot edit a title, but you could just copy and paste your original text, save all that typing.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's a good point im now trying to do it on my phone its a bit difficult but i don't give up i'll keep trying till i work it out lol i love this predictive text help with my spelling it's not that i can't spell i just need to see it if that makes any sense lol thanks for help

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm a bit concerned about the fridge freezer you're proposing to buy, I know that standard domestic ones are a lot cheaper than a MH specific one however a MH specific one is meant to be in a moving vehicle and IMV will be a bit more resistant to the bumps/holes/movement of the vehicle than a domestic one would be which is meant to be totally static.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
You have a point there MinxyGirl, and one that i over looked, but i think as long as they keep upright and not laid down (best make sure its strapped in) it should be ok, and also i'm going to go be driving real slow in this old girl. thanks for the heads up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You have a point there MinxyGirl, and one that i over looked, but i think as long as they keep upright and not laid down (best make sure its strapped in) it should be ok, and also i'm going to go be driving real slow in this old girl. thanks for the heads up.
... I still think it will be a mistake as they aren't usually 'running' whilst in transit so apart from the above, you could find a fault develops and could even be dangerous. I suggest you'd be better off going for a cheaper / second-hand 'purpose made' MH fridge.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Personally I think your fears are unfounded.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm a bit concerned about the fridge freezer you're proposing to buy, I know that standard domestic ones are a lot cheaper than a MH specific one however a MH specific one is meant to be in a moving vehicle and IMV will be a bit more resistant to the bumps/holes/movement of the vehicle than a domestic one would be which is meant to be totally static.
i have taken house hold fridges all over the place in my trailer up mountains across the desert . possibly far rougher roads than any normal m,home ever gets . most of my friends also use them . they are far stronger than the m,home ones .
they can be on quite severe slopes and work . even in over 40c temps they work great. compresspor fridges rule . i have also taken an under counter fridge freezer it worked great,.gone back to just a fridge with small freezer compartment but if going with someone else can just change back to fridge freezer. pull out push in . easy.

OP
OP
maddy1

maddy1

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Leyland daf 45ti 130
Exp
I'm a newbie
MinxyGirl, The compressor type domestic fridge freezers, are just that, a compressor, with refrigerant running around them, so nothing to worry about, the only time you need to let them rest for 24 hours is if you every lay them on there side to move them about, its so the refrigerant can settle before turning it on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back