Don't believe what they say about Apple Macs (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I bought this particular Macbook Pro late 2014. It's in use every single day; normally running, among other stuff, Photoshop/Illustrator/Scrivener/InDesign/Word/ and 3 or 4 different browsers. My mac has not been turned off or restarted this year, not once. It has a solid state drive and I just close the lid it goes to sleep (I think) and when I open the lid it's instant on.

Today it froze and I had to force a reboot, I feel like sending it back!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
My iMac is now around 8 weeks old. In that time OSX has only done 1 update, but my windows 7 based ultrabook has done 42 updates.
I feel I'm not getting my monies worth from Apple !! Come on Apple - keep up !

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Strangely enough my 5 year old Apple Mac died on Monday. I thought the fuse in the electrical plug may have gone and so changed it but my Mac remains still and lifeless on my desk. I'm now using my MacBook Pro instead as I think it may be necessary to transport my Mac to the nearest hospital.... unless anyone knows how I might revive it !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My MacBook Pro is eight and a half years old. I'm feeling rather let down that it is just a couple of months too old to update to the latest OSX - I have to make do with Snow Leopard. Where is the long-term customer care in that I ask? Isn't it reasonable to expect a Mac to keep running for at least ten years - just like I'm sure a Windows PC would :rolleyes:
I rarely turn it off and it just soldiers on. It's still pretty quick (a lot faster than any Win machine that I ever used for more than 18 months). Obviously the original purchase price represents appalling value for money at £1,600 - just £200 per annum. But then an equivalent specification HP or Dell laptop at the time would have cost me the same (or a bit more) and I'm sure they too would still have been going strong - wouldn't they? ;)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It's a well known fact that Apple computers are the best you can get. They just let themselves down with their phones and tablets.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I bought a MacBook Pro Last November and within a month it had crashed.
I phoned the Apple support in Ireland a very nice young man talked me through trying all manner of things to try and revive it.
"Theres nothing else for it" he said eventually. "We are going to have to reinstall the operating system"
My heart sank, I didn't have any CDs or even a CD drive. "How will we do that?" I asked.
"Oh easy" he said, "just press these buttons, and in about 40 minutes it will all be done"
It actually took 20 minutes because we have a fairly quick fibre Broadband here, and hey presto, it just started itself and has been faultless ever since!
However I am still struggling to do fairly simple things because the Apple way is so alien to me. I have used PCs since IBM launched them in 1981 (model 5050 with 16k RAM if I remember correctly).

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I bought an iMac last November (Black Friday, £100 off from John Lewis) Fabulous machine and stunning graphics, however after 3 months it started behaving badly, I took it back to JL who sent it to the official repair depot in Scotland, turned out there was a fault on the screen and a new screen was fitted. It's behaved impeccably since but like Makem after many years with Windows the OSX Yosemite is a new experience.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I upgraded my 2008 MacBook Pro with a new one in 2012. Problem is, it wasn't broken and still runs Yosemite as quick as the new one. I feel cheated.
On the othe hand, I have just had to reinstall Windows 7 on my Panasonic Toughbook. It took about an hour to install, 5 hours to download 5gb of updates, and an hour to download all the (19) Panasonic drivers. I still have to get an anti virus programme.
I can't use it though. The mouse pointer keeps moving on its own, shifting to the bottom right corner in steps.
It going to take me hours to sort out. Now that's value for money!
You know that feeling you get when you have to book an appointment to go to the dentist? I had that as I lifted the lid of my Toughbook with a new MS Windows disc in my hand......

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Having derided Apple for many years, and spending a small fortune on windows based machines since 1984, I bought a MacBook Air and now eat humble pie! OK, I did have to install windows XP to run a particular accounts program using (free) Virtual Box, but even with a program running a program running a program (are you still with me?) it is lightening fast. Load up time? 13 seconds and ready to go, battery life about 8 hours - but can I get used to the intricacies of the OS system? Not yet, especially handling and block naming photograph files. Would I go back to a Windows based machine? Not bl****y likely!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Having derided Apple for many years, and spending a small fortune on windows based machines since 1984, I bought a MacBook Air and now eat humble pie! OK, I did have to install windows XP to run a particular accounts program using (free) Virtual Box, but even with a program running a program running a program (are you still with me?) it is lightening fast. Load up time? 13 seconds and ready to go, battery life about 8 hours - but can I get used to the intricacies of the OS system? Not yet, especially handling and block naming photograph files. Would I go back to a Windows based machine? Not bl****y likely!

At £1049 I should hope it doesn't go wrong :) Broken Link Removed

I can buy a windows Lappy for around £350, Why pay more? :D

Ian

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As a matter of interest only, years ago I was told that a Mac likes to be switched off once or twice a year so it can do a bit of in house management on boot up.

Don't know if that is true or not but I do switch mine off now and again.

I have had a Mac since 1996 and not one has ever gone wrong, I even get real money for them on ebay when I change every 5 years or so.

My first iphone circa 2008 went wrong this year and was bricked after only 7 years, I almost complained to Apple.

:cooler:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Macs are rubbish !

My G3 and iMac just won't give up

003.JPG

Both run Photoshop and Quark Xpress and Clarisworks and I still use them

(y)(y)(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
DOS and Windows pretty much all my business career from having my own machine in 1984 until retiring in 2013 when I bought my MacBook Pro. The machine performs well but Apple is not so intuitive as it likes to think it is! Also now have an iPod, iPad and iPhone!

Gradually getting used to their foibles!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Ian

To get a machine that works properly straight out of the box and will continue to do so for years.

My MacBook Pro specced how I wanted it was more than double the price you quoted and I would happily pay it again tomorrow if I needed to. I know that I won't have to for years though.

If you are happy to struggle on with the half finished, limited, buggy offerings that Microsoft force out and keep rebooting it every half an hour that's fine. I'll be sticking with a system that works properly. (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm trying to convince myself that a new iMac with the 5k retina display (not money) is a business essential.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I use Windows machines because they work.. yes I have to reboot every week or so and yes after 4 or 5 years I need to get a new one.. but I can buy software without checking with app support first and I can build and supply software to clients that I know will work...

I much prefer my chromebook though...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Chromebook is a different animal again isn't it. I've not used one but I've heard that they do pretty much what they claim to do

Don't agree at all even for one nano second with the statement that Windows machines work. I have to have one at work to run one piece of software that controls one printer. It is never used for anything else ever. One piece of software. That machine has caused me more problems in the last 6 months than half a dozen Macs have in several years. And it isn't the software, it's the expensive, high end piece of junk running Microsofts even worse piece of junk.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
My G3 and iMac just won't give up

View attachment 71447

Both run Photoshop and Quark Xpress and Clarisworks and I still use them

Nice one....my first Mac (1999 Blue & White G3 PowerMac) is still being used daily. Sadly my 2002 G3 iMac bit the dust a couple of months ago but its hard drive now boots the PowerMac.

Just to counter some of this Apple fanboy-ism though...I've also had a G3 iBook die after 15 months and a 2008 17" MacBook Pro that was great when it worked, had the best (matte) screen of any computer I've used, but was probably the flakiest computer I've ever owned....and the most expensive :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not an Apple fanboy. I like tools that make my job easier. If there was a Windows machine available that was fast, stable, reliable and that could run Adobe Creative Suite properly I would try it. But there isn't. I know this because the underlying OS has never been any of those things so it doesn't matter what else you equip a machine with it's still horribly limited by running Windows.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Macbook is way too smug, sitting there all smooth, glossy, and shiny white with it's little glowing Apple logo on the lid, like it's somehow superior to everything else. It even closes with a sneer.

I'll never warm to it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My iMac is rubbish..... the hard disk failed nearly a year out of warranty and Apple replaced it free of charge - dropped it in the Apple Store in the morning, expecting it to take 5 days and it was ready in the afternoon with new HDD

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I use my iPad constantly and switch on the Sony Vaio once a month or so (assuming I have several hours spare to wait for it to start and update crap I never wanted) as I have not got a printer that works of the iPad.
When the Sony dies - and it will as they all do, it will be replaced with something that Microsoft do not have any influence with!
The only reason I hate Apple devices is that they have shown me how much of my life has been wasted watching Microsoft updates and frozen screens.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
At £1049 I should hope it doesn't go wrong :) Broken Link Removed

Ian
Because they are crap, run with badly written memory hungry programs.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I just bought a 7" windows 10 tablet, £65 brand new, it does email, and I can surf the web, unfortunately it can't run the mission critical and vital programs that you guys obviously need:D Now what shall I do with all that money I have saved? :p

Ian

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I reckon I will have to update my Acorn Electron soon - just as soon as my ZX81 expires.

Dave

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
My first Mac was a Macintosh plus with an amazing 1 megabit of RAM. Yes. ONE megabit! That was in 1989 and I've been a fan ever since.

My husband has a Vario laptop and, when we lived together, I'd pick up my Macbook Air, it would be open in seconds and I'd be responding to emails and surfing the web and Bill would, one hour later still be waiting for the Vario to install 'essential security updates' virus updates and gawd knows what other buggery bollocks..

I just want something that works. I'm a busy woman. I don't have time for windows to get its act together.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My iMac is rubbish..... the hard disk failed nearly a year out of warranty and Apple replaced it free of charge - dropped it in the Apple Store in the morning, expecting it to take 5 days and it was ready in the afternoon with new HDD

They did exactly the same thing with 'er indoors iPad. It died about a year out of warranty so off we went to the Apple Store. They replaced it with no quibble at all.
Say whatever else you want about Apple but their customer service is second to none.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I bought this particular Macbook Pro late 2014. It's in use every single day; normally running, among other stuff, Photoshop/Illustrator/Scrivener/InDesign/Word/ and 3 or 4 different browsers. My mac has not been turned off or restarted this year, not once. It has a solid state drive and I just close the lid it goes to sleep (I think) and when I open the lid it's instant on.

Today it froze and I had to force a reboot, I feel like sending it back!
The cause of my slow browsing recently turned out to be because I've not turned my MacBook Air off since buying it.
It was wifey who said I need to restart it and she was right :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back