Fly to Dusseldorf tomorrow. Pick up new van on Thursday. (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Feeling very nervous and excited. Just getting the packing done and hoping we haven't missed anything vital. The glasses and corkscrew are in there, but Graham thinks we need to pack a spanner so we can disconnect the gas before boarding the return ferry. (A difference in priorities, I guess!)

We're flying to Dusseldorf from B'ham tomorrow evening, staying at an airport hotel, and the dealer is collecting us on Thursday morning.

From there, she's taking us to get the export plates, then back to the dealership for handover of our brand new Hymer Tramp SL 554.

What a leap of faith! We're buying a van unseen, from a dealer we've never met!

Granted, I have done research on them - read feedback on German forums etc - but it's still a bit scary when you send off a large sum of money via an FX company, and it disappears into the ether!

All being well, we'll stay at a campsite close to the dealership on Thursday night, so we can check everything is OK with the van, then do the 2-hour drive up to Dordrecht on Friday morning - very carefully on our 3rd party insurance! According to ADAC, this weekend promises to be one of the busiest on North German and Dutch roads, so we want to miss the weekend traffic.

We're booked on the Rotterdam/Hull ferry on Saturday evening - again, hoping the British roads will be fairly quiet on Sunday morning when we drive our new LHD toy down to the Midlands.

Don't know whether I'm more excited or frightened!

Wish us Luck!

Chris

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Indeed, best of luck and do drive carefully in Germany! The other drivers there know the rules and will expect you to as well - if they have right of way don't expect them to stop just 'cause you are in the way! :):):)
I guess you won't be going out on the tiles but Düsseldorf is a nice town. Ask a taxi to take you to the "Alt Stadt" if you do decide to explore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Good luck and enjoy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hope all goes well and please keep us updated on the whole experience as I have just click send for the deposit for my new van from a German dealer, I don't pick up until December though.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Indeed, best of luck and do drive carefully in Germany! The other drivers there know the rules and will expect you to as well - if they have right of way don't expect them to stop just 'cause you are in the way! :):):)
I guess you won't be going out on the tiles but Düsseldorf is a nice town. Ask a taxi to take you to the "Alt Stadt" if you do decide to explore.

Thanks DBK. Yes, I find it frightening on the Autobahn at the best of times!

Hope all goes well and please keep us updated on the whole experience as I have just click send for the deposit for my new van from a German dealer, I don't pick up until December though.
lorger, I'll let you know how it goes. I imagine you're probably feeling the same as me about sending your money off into the great unknown - with just one click!

Reactions: DBK

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
lorger, I'll let you know how it goes. I imagine you're probably feeling the same as me about sending your money off into the great unknown - with just one click![/QUOTE]
Yes feeling excited and nervous, being a Scotsman I don't even like handing money over to someone I know never mind a total stranger in a different country although like you I've done my homework with lots of help from here exspaically Judgemental.
I am transferring my Money through Moneycrop and have booked my euros at today's rate just incase the rate goes against me, not bothered if it goes the other way as I'm happy with the price as it is today.
Good luck

P.S. Just check with your dealer mine is offering fully comp on export plates.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why do you want a spanner to DISCONNECT the gas cylinder. That way if the valve was leaking it would be straight out. Leave the connection and just turn off the valve.????????????????????
The ferry company would really like a cylinder leaking gas all over the car deck floor looking for an ignition point.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I imagine that it will be a kalidescope of emotions for you guys , im also buying from Europe ,ours wont be ready until feb , and I decided on the dealer closest to the ferry as im quite nervous about driving the mh home :D

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Chris, have you thought about the legality of driving the van on UK roads? Unless I got it all wrong, you can't drive it as a UK resident on its temporary German plates...

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

I didn't meet those criteria, so I felt I had to take the vehicle to where it is stored until it is taxed on a Recovery truck.

If I was wrong, then I wasted a hundred quid (I only live 15 miles from a ferry port), but if I am right you might want to check it out.

Let's hope I am wrong.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Why do you want a spanner to DISCONNECT the gas cylinder. That way if the valve was leaking it would be straight out. Leave the connection and just turn off the valve.????????????????????
The ferry company would really like a cylinder leaking gas all over the car deck floor looking for an ignition point.

Don't ask me! I just pour the wine!

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Chris, have you thought about the legality of driving the van on UK roads? Unless I got it all wrong, you can't drive it as a UK resident on its temporary German plates...

I didn't meet those criteria, so I felt I had to take the vehicle to where it is stored until it is taxed on a Recovery truck.

If I was wrong, then I wasted a hundred quid (I only live 15 miles from a ferry port), but if I am right you might want to check it out.

Let's hope I am wrong.

It's not a 'temporary import', it's a 'permanent import.' We live in the UK.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Update on this: I've shown him your post, and he's leaving the spanner behind!

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
It's not a 'temporary import', it's a 'permanent import.' We live in the UK.

I beg to differ...

From the DVLA Website...

<<<What you need to do depends on how you are bringing the vehicle into the country and if it is a new or used vehicle. If you are going to use a vehicle on the public road it must be registered, taxed and insured. A British resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK (my emphasis). To avoid difficulties, we advise you to: n transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and n keep the vehicle off the road until it has been properly registered, taxed and insured.>>>

and...

<<<If you are a resident in the UK, you cannot drive a non-UK car in the UK. Since there are no residency cards in the UK, whenever you are stopped by a police officer and he thinks you are actually a resident (for example if you have a UK driving licence, or have UK debit cards in your wallet), then he might confiscate your car which might be destroyed, unless you can prove you are not a UK resident, or you are working in more than one EU countries, and spend more than 6 months (185 days) per year outside of the UK....

....There are only three possible options for a UK resident to drive a non-UK car completely legally:

1. If the car is not yours, the registered owner is not a UK resident, and he is sitting with you in the car (in this case he is considered to be the driver)
  2. If the car belongs to (or to be more precise is registered in the name of) an EU based company, and you are working for that company.
  3. If the car is on a lease in an other country (for example it's a car hired from France)>>>
I interpreted that to imply that the vehicle is a Temporary import until it is registered. The DVLA doesn't actually say "it is illegal", they say "to avoid difficulties". I think the message is clear enough.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I bought mine in on German export plates last month, insurance through NFU, fully comp on the VIN from the day I paid the invoice. Whilst recognising that the DVLA advise you should not drive it I suspect that the concern is more insurance related. As I was comfortable that I was insured fully comp and the NFU were completely aware of my plan I therefore decided that to drive was the better option.

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Well, we're back now! Spanking new van sitting on the drive! We had a great trip and lovely weather. Picked up the van on Thursday - in 35 degrees heat - so it was a bit of a tiring day.
We went over the van with a fine tooth comb and had a good hand-over, so decided to get some of the journey under our belts on Thursday afternoon.
There wasn't too much traffic on the roads, once we got away from the Ruhr area, and we drove on to Venlo, where we stayed at the Yacht Harbour Aire. It's a lovely secure aire with all facilities and there's a restaurant on site. After the long hot day, we both agreed that the cold beer was the best we'd ever tasted.
There was a spectacular thunder storm in the night, but the weather was sunny again on Friday.
We drove on to Dordrecht and stayed at a lovely campsite http://www.campinghetvissertje.nl/, and had plenty of time for site seeing in the historic town.
Got the Rotterdam/Hull ferry last night and we were home by early afternoon.
The whole journey was a dream, and so easy.
We absolutely love the van.
To anyone thinking of buying in Germany, but feeling a bit cautious about it, I'd say 'Just go for it!'

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I beg to differ...

From the DVLA Website...

<<<What you need to do depends on how you are bringing the vehicle into the country and if it is a new or used vehicle. If you are going to use a vehicle on the public road it must be registered, taxed and insured. A British resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK (my emphasis). To avoid difficulties, we advise you to: n transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and n keep the vehicle off the road until it has been properly registered, taxed and insured.>>>

and...

<<<If you are a resident in the UK, you cannot drive a non-UK car in the UK. Since there are no residency cards in the UK, whenever you are stopped by a police officer and he thinks you are actually a resident (for example if you have a UK driving licence, or have UK debit cards in your wallet), then he might confiscate your car which might be destroyed, unless you can prove you are not a UK resident, or you are working in more than one EU countries, and spend more than 6 months (185 days) per year outside of the UK....

....There are only three possible options for a UK resident to drive a non-UK car completely legally:

1. If the car is not yours, the registered owner is not a UK resident, and he is sitting with you in the car (in this case he is considered to be the driver)
  2. If the car belongs to (or to be more precise is registered in the name of) an EU based company, and you are working for that company.
  3. If the car is on a lease in an other country (for example it's a car hired from France)>>>
I interpreted that to imply that the vehicle is a Temporary import until it is registered. The DVLA doesn't actually say "it is illegal", they say "to avoid difficulties". I think the message is clear enough.
So as a resident of France with a French registered car and UK bank cards and licence I can't drive my car in the UK !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Let's hope I am wrong.
To be legal you should drive the van on UK without plates, however more chance of being stopped without plates an the average RTO will not be clued up on that bit of law. Both vans we have brought back our dealer fitted a set of false Belgium plates.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So as a resident of France with a French registered car and UK bank cards and licence I can't drive my car in the UK !
As a resident of France you can drive it in the UK, if you were a resident of the UK you would not be able to drive your French registered car in the UK.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As a resident of France you can drive it in the UK, if you were a resident of the UK you would not be able to drive your French registered car in the UK.
And if you have a holiday home with a car registered to you French address you can't drive it in the UK ?? If so that is crazy !

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I believe that is exactly the situation.
A while back there was a lot of noise in the press about Noel Edmonds doing just that.
As far as the authorities in the UK are concerned it would be a way of having a car on the road here but not paying any road tax - or whatever it's called these days.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I believe that is exactly the situation.
A while back there was a lot of noise in the press about Noel Edmonds doing just that.
As far as the authorities in the UK are concerned it would be a way of having a car on the road here but not paying any road tax - or whatever it's called these days.

We have a friend who is an anesthetist and on contract in NZ . Holiday home in France which he visits every year and has a French car here. He has two homes in UK , both let . So it would seem he can't visit family in his French car ?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
As Iunderstand it he can drive the French registered car in the UK beacause he is not a UK resident. He may be a home owner but he presumably resides and pays taxes in NZ.
I could be wrong but that is how I read the regs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back