Some ideas for our summer jaunt (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK, so yet again due to womans bloody family we are having to change the plans ( already in tatters, and now spread about the garden and being chewed by the dog !! )

Has anyone visited either the Eden Project or Portmeirion ?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated :)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We visited The Eden Project a few years ago. Fascinating place.
Have heard it has got even better since then so should be well worth a visit.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Went to Portmerion years ago, quite enjoyed it but it's only half a day's visit but you could then go to Porthmadog and do the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway, lovely picturesque run.
Never been to the Eden project so can't help with that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Been to Eden Project, not too bad (obviously it's really just some big greenhouses) nothing much else to see.

Actually it's where I discovered that bananas grow pointing upwards, not downwards as displayed in Asda.

Top tip, do not attempt Eden on a rainy day (every tourist in Cornwall visits Eden on a rainy day)

Going round a big greenhouse with a million other folk, including wet smelly kids, is not much fun.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We stayed in the hotel in Portmeirion - expensive but worth for us as The Prisoner was a must see for us on Friday nights when we were courting. If you're not into the series it's probably not worth a visit.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Eden Project is fantastic - done it several times. Tesco vouchers make the entrance fees more bearable and www.doubletreesfarm.co.uk is a great place to stay that is within walking distance.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We visit the Eden Project at least once a year. In the early years everything was being developed whereas now some areas are quite mature. What some people don't realise is that it is essentially an educational experience and not just a big garden with strange greenhouses. Take your time and allow at least a full day. Check the current entry prices on line as there are reductions for some categories and as it has educational charity status there are incentives for tax payers to gift aid the fee. Buy at least 1 day in advance for a reduced price. Get your ticket validated and this lets you return as many times as you wish for 12 months. I think the food prices are a bit high but you do get a good helping of good quality food. If you go this summer beware of the dinosaurs !!
As Porkster says, the Lost Gardens of Heligan are also worth a visit. Again, allow a full day and don't leave it too late to get to the cafe.
There is provision for parking at both places and it is free!

Brian

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Oh yes. I forgot to mention Doubletrees but check for a pitch as the get full quickly.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A while since we did these but Eden Project, Lost Gardens and Portmerion are all musts and as said go on to Blaenau Ffestiniog for the railway and slate mines.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly it looks like Portmerion is a non starter if you cannot take a dog there

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Done Eden project but for me lost gardens of heligan are fantastic

I will second that, Heligan peaceful and amazing, would go there any day in preference to Eden. Haven't been to Portmerion for years but imagine much better midweek / out of season.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Eden project is worth going to.Don't be in a rush.No problem parking motorhome.If you are up for it there's a zip wire that goes over the top of the domes.But you pay extra for it.If you use Tesco vouchers you will save a bomb on entrance prices.Not sure about parking at Heligan.But worth going to(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We went to Portmeirion many years ago and were not impressed. It seemed to me to be totally fake architecture. A sort of Disneyland for grown ups, but without the rides.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There's a campsite right next to the Lost Gardens of Legoland and the nearby Caerhays House has the National Magnolia collection and a walk through its grounds in spring is delightful. Treloan Farm best campsite in the area but most beaches down there will be dog free in the summer.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Jaw's, Doubletrees site is very good, when we were there about 10 years ago they had a couple of kennels / runs, for use while going to the Eden project ( no dogs allowed) small charge I believe. Better check that they still do this.
When we were there the old guy (owner) came around to us and gave (FREE) a couple of fresh eggs for our breakfast very nice jester.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I vote for the Lost Gardens of Heligan. We loved it. There is MH parking and when we were there you could get into the sheltered area if you had a dog in the van but that was a few years ago. Camp site next door. A lovely day out and a very nice coffee shop.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Lost Gardens of Heligan for me, dogs enjoyed it too!

If you go a bit further towards Helston there is lots to see around the Lizard, Poldarks mines, Minack theatre is spectacular.
We stayed at Penrose Camp Site, Porthleven (basic just toilets and showers, no hook up) may be busy this time of year but there are several very big adjoining fields, dogs heaven, (sorry Ethel) no leads, close to Porthleven and Loe Bar, Walks directly off site

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Lost Gardens of Legoland
MOC-1231.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :giggler:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All great info folks !!
Any further suggestions for places to go to in the general area ?? ( and I mean general.. as in up to 100 miles away as we will be touring around )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Portmeirion ?

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated :)

In May I said "This is Portmeirion", we were in Port Grimaud. Except Port Grimaud is very much bigger and with better weather, Basically an architect's ego trip to create a fake town. A bit of fun. The area around Portmeirion is very attractive when it's not raining, similar to Lake District.

The Edan Project is a greenhouse, a big greenhouse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back