Spain-V-Portugal which is tops for January sun (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Planning a winter trip. Leaving UK just after Christmas 2015 - heading south for 3 weeks of winter sunshine
Considering Spain and Portugal and would appreciate any opinion or suggestions of which to chose
Looking for a bit of sun and some scenery. Will be touring so not thinking about staying long in any one place
Would appreciate your suggestions

Thanks
Robert

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Last Jan/Feb we had 5 weeks in southern Spain, close to border with Portugal. It was their coldest winter for 37/38 years. :confused::confused:
A fair amount of sun but a strong bitterly cold wind. Beware!!

Apart from that we had a great time, scenery, empty roads, freedom, culture, food, relaxation, streets covered in dog shite..... If you go for a walk round Cadiz take wellies and disinfectant otherwise the damned stuff will be oozing between your toes!! :sicker:

Would I go back? .... Yes, to get to Morocco! They don't have the dog culture in Morocco!!

Enjoy.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
What about February? Is Spain still better, then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are doing something different next year, renting an apartment in Mojacar Playa for a month, £500 all in, plus flights(180 for 2), plus car hire.
We don't normally like staying in one place too long, so this is an experiment to see how we get on.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I'm afraid I have to agree with the above posts due to fact that every time I head into Portugal if the weather is good,it seems to change almost instantly Portugal definitely gets more rain than Spain,it can get very drizzly Jan-Mar,and quite cool with it,any
-where Benidorm and further South would be a better bet,Portugal is a Beautiful country though it would get my vote if it had Southern Spain's weather.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I'm afraid I have to agree with the above posts due to fact that every time I head into Portugal if the weather is good,it seems to change almost instantly Portugal definitely gets more rain than Spain,it can get very drizzly Jan-Mar,and quite cool with it,any
-where Benidorm and further South would be a better bet,Portugal is a Beautiful country though it would get my vote if it had Southern Spain's weather.

Ah but if it had Southern Spain's weather it wouldn't look like Portugal it would look like Southern Spain!:rolleyes:

:cooler:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Benidorm every time. We used to spend 6 months in on El Raco campsite for a good few years. Wonderful time loads to see and do in the area food very cheap 800 bars to get round. Beats freezing in the UK.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Glad you are all suggesting Spain, keep Portugal clear of Brits, we get enough of the other foreigners in Portugal. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Portugal is a greener and more pleasant country, and still a lot warmer than the UK.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Glad you are all suggesting Spain, keep Portugal clear of Brits, we get enough of the other foreigners in Portugal. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Portugal is a greener and more pleasant country, and still a lot warmer than the UK.

Its greener for the same reason England is green,,,it RAINS a lot in the winter,,,lovely in the spring summer and autumn though...

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

I am with Keith and Jean, if you want scruffy litter strewn graffiti covered coastal strip then go to Spain and leave Portugal for us

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I am with Keith and Jean, if you want scruffy litter strewn graffiti covered coastal strip then go to Spain and leave Portugal for us
No doubt Portugal is wonderful but I dissagree with your comments on Spain. I've owned a place on the Costa Blanca since 1999 and I've seen a lot of it, definitely not as you describe:cool:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

If i want rain every other day i can stay in England and go to The Lake District,,,everyone to their own,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If i want rain every other day i can stay in England and go to The Lake District,,,everyone to their own,,,BUSBY.

Sorry thought it was an open forum,,,BUSBY:):):)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We are doing something different next year, renting an apartment in Mojacar Playa for a month, £500 all in, plus flights(180 for 2), plus car hire.
We don't normally like staying in one place too long, so this is an experiment to see how we get on.
Out of season Mojacar is as dead as a Dodo, many places are closed down. You will have the promenade all to yourselves. We have been there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back