Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
So, after about 3 months of intensive looking, and not finding anything 'right' for us, we have decided to buy a van, and have something built into it. Its all come together in the last couple of days, and we've found a base (Renault Traffic, LWB, high top) and met with a converter that we like. Now, we have to tell the converter everything we want. Umm yes ... well ... this is our first camper, and we've never actually used one, and don't know what vital bits of gear we may be missing, or what work arounds the experienced have for potential problems we're racking our brains over. So ... I thought, if I post the info that I'm emailing to the converter guy here, any/all input from the experienced would be fantastic!!!

Warning ... its long!!! It also makes reference to a long conversation we had with him when we met him, but I think the gist of that conversation is in the file.

Broken Link Removed

Giving 'birth' to this baby is soooo exciting! We'll be using it mostly for support on long distance cycle rides (husband is a bit of a lunatic in this area, and wants to tackle some seriously long events, so needs capacity for seriously long training rides).

OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Incidentally, reading tons of posts from many years back on this forum has helped us immensely in figuring out what we want/don't want in many areas!

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Incidentally, reading tons of posts from many years back on this forum has helped us immensely in figuring out what we want/don't want in many areas!

Great,,,,, Now come spend your £10 and join properly for all the FUN.. :)
Sure you will certainly get your monies worth and it will be good to hear how your conversion goes..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Did that while you were reading and typing ... except spent £19 :) I am sure it is money very well spent, and what we've learnt from this forum since I joining it a week ago is worth a hundred times (or more) the subs. fee!!

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did that while you were reading and typing ... except spent £19 :) I am sure it is money very well spent, and what we've learnt from this forum since I joining it a week ago is worth a hundred times (or more) the subs. fee!!

Welcome... SHH.... Dont say that to loud. the boss might be listening :rofl:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
:eek: My first forum faux pas *lol* Shall never mention it again unless barely whispering :lipssealed:

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
First essential piece of equipment is a good quality golf tee holder.
You need something stable to rest your balls on while driving off.

Oops sorry, I see that you may be a 'lady' and therefore may not play golf. :blusher:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why not hire a motorhome for a weekend and see what you like / dislike about that?

The main consideration will be layout, get that wrong and you'll want a new van - again.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you really need to do some sketches showing the layout then you can begin to imagine what it would be like to live in it.

But from a quick look at your notes I would suggest 3 rooflights, one above the loo, one above the kitchen with a built in fan and one big one above the sitting/sleeping area.

Solar I think most folk find really useful if not essential but you could have the wiring fitted during conversion so it wouldn't be so disruptive later when you come to fit it as I am sure you will.

I would specify LED lighting from the outset.

If you can stretch to a proper cassette toilet you won't regret it over a porta-potti.

Fridge? Cooker? Oven?

Here's a picture of our roof which might give you some ideas about roof lights and solar panels - of course this only works for the layout in our 'van. :) Top right is the loo, bottom right above kitchen and cooker, big one on the left is above the beds/seats.

OI000037.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome from us two too:cheers:
Ralph's building our PVC. We too put lots of thought into it though we're doing a different layout to you. You might find the thread interesting .
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
We decided to put the water tanks , waste and fresh, plus the gas tank under the van . That way saving lots of space inside under the UShape lounge.
Think about the insulation too. If you plan on using it all year round. Make sure he does all the doors , floor and ceiling . Sounds daft , but some don't. And inside all the roof support ridges . You'll see what I mean on Ralph's thread.
Some just use the one layer of sticky foam backed foil. That's it.
He's also used a great battery. For the Hab power. It will be in there for the next 15 years on its side under the compressor Fridge. Freeing up more cupboard space.
He's finished off the kitchen doors now and put the cooker in properly. Just got to box the cab seats and carpet that area. Then the insides finished.
Oh yes, You Might already know , but just in case you don't.
You can also get different quality wood board. For the furniture.
So for the more expensive. ( voringer I think it's called ) it's laminated , very strong . The cheaper boards are A bit lighter , Not as many layers of wood inside, but just Varnished paper covered board. Try sticking your nail in them . You can test the quality. The dearer one doesn't dint. It will wear longer .
Good luck with the build. Post the pictures as you go.
Who's the converter you are using btw ?
I too think it would be a good idea to rent one to see if that layout is right for you. Plus a proper toilet in the shower is not that space taking . We've done it.

Upvote 0

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE="LesleyC, post: 1504801, member: 37342"

Giving 'birth' to this baby is soooo exciting! We'll be using it mostly for support on long distance cycle rides (husband is a bit of a lunatic in this area, and wants to tackle some seriously long events, so needs capacity for seriously long training rides).[/QUOTE]

Hi Lesley; we had a Ducato converted about 5 years ago; and the layout still works for us.
The most important thing is the layout. We made a balsawood model for the converter to follow (and criticise) and did a spec similar to what you've done.
In light of how we've used the van over the last 5 years there are things I would do differently, and our needs are not the same as yours I'm sure, but you need to imagine how you will use it, do you have kids to accommodate , or is it just for the two of you and the bike(s)?
Have you got a budget to work to?
We chose a bespoke van because no van we saw had a layout that worked. Think it through very carefully and you'll have lots of fun achieving something special.
Good Luck
alan b

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sketches ... been trying to avoid them so far, and if you seeing my drawing abilities you will totally understand why :) I shall make some attempts, and post them. They will have more amusement value than practical value *lol*

Layout will be pretty much the standard side kitchen/furniture, with bed alongside. We're both tall, so with the bed in that position our feet can overhang, rather than having to sleep curled up.

All the space to the rear of the bed will be taken up by plastic crates of bike parts and tools, which means we don't really have room to put a permanent toilet in, hence the porta potty. We're hoping to only have to use it lightly, because we will be travelling min 200km, up to about 450km per day, so should easily be able to make use of services etc for toilet stops. In a few years, if the insane cycling stops, we can look at rejigging and fitting a permanent toilet, but I reckon that will come at the expense of one of the cab seats no longer swivelling. We need to use the van for a 8.25 day ride before the conversion happens - planning on slinging our camping gear in the back for that trip, but we will need a potty for that, which will go on to be housed in the conversion. I shall chat with the converter guy about making it a permanent, and when I've put up the sketches maybe I will get suggestions as to where it could go too. Love the idea of a fan about the toilet!!! Haven't seen (or noticed) that in the vans we've looked at, but it really should be that way in all vans I think!

Loving the large roof light over the bed/seating. That will provide brilliant natural light over the bike workshp at the rear (well outside by enclosed by an awning I still have to design and make). Oooh ... must request some strip lights or little spot lights or something for the back for bike work after dark!!!

Smallest 2 ring hob, and smallest sink we can get away with that is big enough to hold a pair of soggy cycling shoes. They had to go somewhere to dry out in wet weather. Most of our cooking will get done on a gas bbq outside (yes, even in rain/snow). I'm from S.Africa, so BBQ (or should I say a braai) is a way of life for me, and I can pretty much cook anything/everything on the gas set up I have. I'm also a bit nervous of cooking splatters inside the van. Over time I expect I'll learn to deal with those things better, and our 'retirement van' will be configured differently (by then the cycling will probably have dropped off a bit too).

Fridge ... initially wanted as big as possible (I only drink cold beverages, no hot - and they have to be properly cold, not room temp), but now thinking that instead of chilling large bottles, to rather chill more smaller bottles.

I've updated my sheet for the converter with your suggestions. Thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Plus a proper toilet in the shower is not that space taking . We've done it.

Our shower will be 'outside' in the bike workshop, so it can clean the cyclist and the bike simultaneously ;) I reckon if he can cycle in winter rain ...

I've read your conversion post from beginning to end, a few days ago :) Lovely!

Updated my list to specify thorough, good insulation :) I poked around all the vehicles that were part converted in their workshop, and it all looked good (to me).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Incidentally, the more people poke holes in my logic/reasoning, the happier I am. Anything that makes me think more, and think differently is good!

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Some friends of ours recently had a Renault converted, and the converter was able to fit a 30ltr LPG tank, under-slung, which removed the need for the gas locker (above floor), and they were able to retain the spare wheel. Tank came complete with filler point in body, and digital fill gauge routed to dashboard, which registers fill level when ignition is turned on.

There is a narrow combination sink and hob made for VW conversions, look at www.rainbowconversions.co.uk

I would suggest gas in favour of diesel for heating, although it is fairly low at the moment. Another advantage of the under-slung LPG tank is the price at the pump compared to exchange cylinders, or did you say refillable gas tank, can't remember.

The Truma combi unit will give you gas/electric heating and hot water, all from one unit.

If you can, I would suggest you have the solar panel (100w) and two leisure batteries fitted at conversion, ours has a Cetek D250 (I think) controller, works a treat.

It may be worth talking to John Cross, advertises on this site, re Fiamma products, his teem are very helpfull and he gives funster's a discount on purchases.

We have had both types of screen blackouts, and yes condensation can be a problem in the cab area, with the internal ones you refer to. Currently we have the internal Remis blinds fitted, good light reduction, but not totally blackout, and depending on the time of year/location/ventilation, almost condensation free. A curtain hanging behind the cab seats, we found always got in the way!!

As said, a sketch plan would be helpful.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
there are things I would do differently,

We chose a bespoke van because no van we saw had a layout that worked. Think it through very carefully and you'll have lots of fun achieving something special.

What would you differently compared to what you have now?

no kids, just us two and the bikes.

We've chosen to get one made, because nothing we've seen is 'just right' either. There always seems to be a couple of things we wouldn't want to put up with.

At the moment, we're running about £8k under budget, compared to buying the 'best we've seen' ready to go used camper. That will buy us a lot of fuel and campsite fees, and possibly some toys along the way too as we feel we need them.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its exciting designing a layout from scratch. Can we look forward to photo's of the finished article?

Whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you good luck & good health to use your motorhome.

Robert & Hazel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
able to fit a 30ltr LPG tank, under-slung, which removed the need for the gas locker (above floor),

Added a request for external gas. We had asked for a gaslow type of gas, for the cost benefit of refilling. If the tanks move 'outside' we may be able to squeeze in a 'proper' toilet by shuffling the storage around as well.

And yes, if we have refillable gas, it makes sense to use a gas heater too. Do any gas heating systems operate similar to a combi boiler in a house with instant hot water, or will I always be estimating what time a ride will finish and switching on the hot water in advance?

Blinds that aren't completely blackout are fine for us ... can sleep outside in full sunlight, and have actually, quite literally slept through a bomb.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
at one point you mention not fitting a solar panel and at another you say you will rarely have hook ups available that being the case i would prioritise the solar panels

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Do any gas heating systems operate similar to a combi boiler in a house with instant hot water, or will I always be estimating what time a ride will finish and switching on the hot water in advance?

Not as instant, but on the high heat setting you can have hot water in around 15 minutes. If you have hot water left in the boiler from the previous night, then it is even shorter.

Yes the Remis blinds are good, the bad news is, for your chosen make, they are more expensive than the Ducato/Relay/Boxer model. May be to do with economy of demand.

You mentioned an awning over the loading door, two suggestions:
1. Get a make that "sits" on the roof, helps to keep rain out of the van when the loading door is open. Get one at least three metres long, we have the 2.6 metre one, and its a bit cramped for dining out.

2. Look at www.lilypadleisure.co.uk they produce a range of light weight blockers, may be useful. they are easy to assemble, and light weight in travelling.

Finally, another site worth a look is www.movelite.co.uk, they may have a drive away awning which would work as your workshop!!

Enjoy your project.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
at one point you mention not fitting a solar panel and at another you say you will rarely have hook ups available that being the case i would prioritise the solar panels

My current thinking on this, is that because we will be driving 200-450km per day, the driving should hopefully keep the batteries topped up. Would we need solar in addition to this? If feasible, I'd like to have provision for adding solar neatly later if needed and if our power consumption grows. As is, it would only be the fridge drawing power, and if we can get a suitable inverter, a couple of cups of coffee from a coffee machine, and a stick blender twice a day for making mayonnaise (the cyclist is currently powered by mayo - strange but true)

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Can you go for the xlwb Van too. That bit of extra length made all the difference with our chosen layout.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Not as instant, but on the high heat setting you can have hot water in around 15 minutes. If you have hot water left in the boiler from the previous night, then it is even shorter.

That's not too bad. The tracking app we use for the cycling is usually good enough (provided there is data signal) for me to work out ETAs.

I will look at both those for a ready made awning for the workshop. I have been quite enjoying the so far only mental challenge of designing and making it. I've got the fabric part of it designed in my head ... just how to attach it to the van that I'm still pondering ... intrigued with using magnets so we can more or less throw it at the appropriate part of metal, and just put it off later.

We shan't be using the awning on the rear for sitting/relaxing. Its purely for workshop/showering. Naturally I don't have sketches/design drawings for it at this point either (but would do some before cutting fabric), but it would be attached to the roof, and outside the doors, with the doors a little more than 90 degree open. There would be a removable panel covering the inside of the doors while its being a shower cubicle, which come down when its a bike workshop, so we can stash some tools/parts hanging on the doors. We think it only needs to extend about 1.5m from the back of the van. We way we see the workshop is that Nick will stand/crouch immediately at the back of the van, with his spare bits and tools to hand in the crates under the bed at the back. Heavy duty dust sheet over the bit of the bed/seat that is horizontal at the back because he will inevitably put something greasy on it without thinking. The bike will be towards the fabric wall from the awning, and the fabric can even drape over the bike.

Sitting relaxing will be done under the roll out side awning, and if we ever actually manage to use the van for something where we park for a few days without moving, we have a lovely 3m x 6m awning, with side panels that we've used when camping. Its lovely and spacious :)

Having the high top, and high barn doors seems like its going to be an issue for some things too, e.g. cycle rack will have to be screwed into the doors rather than hanging on them.

I can see I'm going to have to get the sketch pad and pencils out tomorrow. You will all need to have a well developed imagination to translate the drawings into something 'real'!

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You can get cycle racks for a tow bar. Then there's no stress on your back doors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can you go for the xlwb Van too. That bit of extra length made all the difference with our chosen layout.

Not at this point, because I bought the van this morning, picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

A lot of the driving will be on horrible narrow country lanes, with me and only me in the van, while the cycling is going on. We have had to keep it within a range that I'll be able to become comfortable driving, or it will end up parked on the driveway never being used. The largest vehicle I've driven previously is a Hilux double cab. This is a bit larger, 5255 vs 5399 on the length, and 1835 vs 1904 on the width. I know it doesn't look like much on paper, but there are some narrow roads that have me going 'please don't let anything be coming the other way' in the car, more of them in the Hilux, and I just don't want to think about them in anything wider.
If we were going to be on A roads and even B roads, wider would be OK, but for me, not on those really narrow lanes.

After a few years of driving this, I may well be ready for something a little wider and a little longer, and we can think about the 'new improved' camper, incorporating all the lessons we'll learn in this one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
You can get cycle racks for a tow bar. Then there's no stress on your back doors.

And we have one of them too, but, I can't ride a bike ... never learnt, and when I started trying, landed up with so many injuries due to total incompetence. Stopped trying after cracking a vertebrae in my neck. So ... now I have a trike (y)
The only carrier available for a trike is towbar mounted, and nothing else can travel on the towbar with it. The trike won't be going on the intensive cycling trips, but I live in hope of a couple of relaxed outings too.

Upvote 0

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What would you differently compared to what you have now?

The main thing would be a simplified "washroom and plumbing system"
We have 80Litres of clean water and 60Litres (I think) of grey water; I'd halve those capacities.
I'd specify a Thetford "bench type" cassette toilet so that it could be sealed in the washroom and make using the shower a less messy undertaking.
But as we use commercial sites that would still be used rarely. It might improve the resale value, but that's not an issue yet.
I think I would relocate the fridge, and enlarge it, but stick with a compressor type.
I'd add the window in the bed/lounge area, may do that later this year.
Might add a third seat, removeable, for use when we visit the kids, for days out.
Oh; I'd fit a hinged bikerack so that we can access the "underbed shed" without having to remove bikes. Definately wouldn't use a Fiamma door mounted one.
We are both 5'8" ish, and we made a longitudinal bed work, which was the main requirement of the layout.
Hope this helps
PM me and I'll send some pics, don't want to hijack your thread,
regards
alan b

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
First essential piece of equipment is a good quality golf tee holder.
You need something stable to rest your balls on while driving off.

Oops sorry, I see that you may be a 'lady' and therefore may not play golf. :blusher:

Nope, not a golfer, and there are few who would consider me a 'lady' ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LesleyC

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
Why not hire a motorhome for a weekend and see what you like / dislike about that?

The main consideration will be layout, get that wrong and you'll want a new van - again.

Its the rather high hire costs that set us down the route of buying something in the first place :) And a night in a hotel when we went to the STafford motorhome show to look at things that tripled my budget (poorly installed extractor fans in the room below made our room sound like a large vessel engine room). When we climbed into the car, not even vaguely refreshed the next morning, it suddenly became DHs top priority in terms of fiscal planning.

Couldn't have arranged it better if I'd tried ...

The layout we want to go with, provides us with the most stretch out room in bed, and the best bike stuff storage. Its important to us that we can just take the crates of tools/spares from the garage to the van without having to repack the crates' contents into different storage areas in the van. If we have to spend too much time doing hat sort of thing, getting ready to go on a trip will become a chore, and we'll find excuses not to do it. Yup, we're lazy, but at least we know it :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back