12 battery instead of 12v battery? (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I'm in the process of changing the cooker in the RV and have hit an opportunity(!)

The ignition on the new cooker wants a 12v feed but as luck would have it I don't have a 12v feed near my cooker location :RollEyes:

Now obviously I could run a 12v feed from somewhere else (not easy option at the moment) so I was wondering if I could use a set of 8 AA batteries, connected in such a way as to give 12 volts and use that instead? I know the voltage would be the same whereas the amps would be greatly reduced but would it be enough oomph for the igniter on a cooker? Would they last long enough if they did work?

What do you think (or know) ??

Thanks
Bryan

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the piezo crystal uses very little current the battery in our cooker at home lasts years. Give it a whirl worse way is it could cost you a set of batteries.
:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Bryan

Personally I'd run a feed, the battery idea might work .. dunno , but does the oven not have a light that needs the 12v feed anyway ? Is so it would flatten the battery pretty quick ..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it may not be just the ignitor.

it might also feed a PCB for flame failure or some such thing....i doubt it though.

give it a try and see.

if it works you could buy some 1.2v 2500ma AA rechargable batteries (camera) which should give enough power and a reasonable use time.
not cheap but cheaper than replacing normal AA's time and again.

when they go flat stick em in a charger and away you go again.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I'm in the process of changing the cooker in the RV and have hit an opportunity(!)

The ignition on the new cooker wants a 12v feed but as luck would have it I don't have a 12v feed near my cooker location :RollEyes:

Now obviously I could run a 12v feed from somewhere else (not easy option at the moment) so I was wondering if I could use a set of 8 AA batteries, connected in such a way as to give 12 volts and use that instead? I know the voltage would be the same whereas the amps would be greatly reduced but would it be enough oomph for the igniter on a cooker? Would they last long enough if they did work?

What do you think (or know) ??

Thanks
Bryan

Hi, Bryan, you might not need 8 batteries- my domestic cooker only has 2 for the igniter. Try 2 ata time and see how it goes
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now I might have something new here, and if I have I don't want you all jumping on the bandwagon until Ive had time to patent the idea. forget your 12 volt
forget your batteries
tun on the gas and light it with a match:Eeek:
Hang on, Ive something else new too, I could invent a match like igniter that only requires one battery.
Wait I'm on a roll here,if i could find a Chrystal that when struck, by say a spring like gadget it made a spark:thumb:
Oh boy I'm gonna make a fortune here,
Anyone got Monaco's number:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now I might have something new here, and if I have I don't want you all jumping on the bandwagon until Ive had time to patent the idea. forget your 12 volt
forget your batteries
Hang on, Ive something else new too, I could invent a match like igniter that only requires one battery.
Wait I'm on a roll here,if i could find a Chrystal that when struck, by say a spring like gadget it made a spark:thumb:

Mmm !!!!

bit too labour intensive Geo.

get on one knee, open the door, turn on the gas, insert lighter, get up off one knee.....as opposed to......turn on gas, push button. :winky:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
forget your batteries

Good idea George- never thought of that!:Doh::Doh:
Thanks BTW for the tip about Forte you gave me at P/boro, got a bottle and put the contents in the tank Will let you know if there is an improvement.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back