Toothless 'Devil dog' ... hopefully not! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Tazzy's front 4 top teeth are loose! :eek: I noticed yesterday evening so we rang the vet today and have booked her in for a dental on Monday - their being loose doesn't seem to bother her as she's been throwing her toy around yesterday and today without any problem! She does have mucky teeth though, not sure why as she gets the same food as our other dogs who's teeth are almost pristine.

Apparently Chihuahuas (she's a cross Chi/Jack Russell) are prone to dental problems and at only 3 years old she's trying to get an early start!!! A clean and check over will hopefully sort her out, it's gonna be expensive but at least she'll be able to give us a nice clean grin ... hopefully she'll still have the 4 front teeth afterwards otherwise she'll look really funny and she does have her name to live up to ... she's called Tazzy after the Tazmanian Devil!!!! :D

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
A clean and check over will hopefully sort her out, it's gonna be expensive but at least she'll be able to give us a nice clean grin ... hopefully she'll still have the 4 front teeth afterwards otherwise she'll look really funny and she does have her name to live up to ... she's called Tazzy after the Tazmanian Devil!!!! :D

Had my Yorkie's teeth seen to when he was two years old as he still had two milk teeth. Decided to have a clean at the same time as it was done under
anaesthetic. Vet told me that dogs very often lose a tooth when having a descale! Luckily he only lost one other tooth!

Hope Tazzy manages to save hers! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Update on Tazzy ... she went to the vets this morning and came back minus 3 front teeth! :cry: I haven't had a shuftie at her mush yet to see how clean her other teeth are but as far as I know no more have been removed. :unsure: Total cost was just over £180.

She' had some tea and is currently snuggling in her favourite beanbag bed and will be having a cuddle tonight.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tazzy is a bit better today, she went out with the others for a run on the field which she enjoyed, and she's eating okay but still has her ears at 'half mast' as she's not totally content, she's had a nice cuddle tonight and is now chilling out in her beanbag again. She does look weird with 3 front teeth missing!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad she seems to be getting better. Poor old thing.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
awww bless, cheer up Tazzy ... you can still give a good suck and be cute with it now... get better soon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tazzy will have to be renamed Terry, as in Terry Thomas.
19238_123142494280.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm just waiting for her to realise she can stick her tongue out without having to open her mouth!!! :D

Deleted User
Awe hope she feels better soon, teeth ache is one of the worst pains(well for me) so hopefully she will feel the benefit soon :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, it's all starting again! o_O

I noticed that Tazzy has started to occasionally 'mouth' a bit but couldn't see anything obviously wrong but today I managed to pin her down o nthe bed and have a good shuftie at her teeth and found that one of here rear upper molars has a largish black area next to the gum! :Eeek: When I gently touched it, it started to bleed, I don't think it's hurting her as she's quite happily been playing with her toys and ate her dinner but I've booked her into the vet tomorrow morning as it needs sorting out ... unfortunately I suspect she'll end up having it out! Quite apart from the cost (£180 last time!) which isn't insignificant, its the fact that she's gonna have to have a general anaesthetic again which, only 7 months later, is not good and I am at a loss to know how this has developed in that short time period. :unsure:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A chih - what ???

Thought this thread was about proper ruff tough devil dogs !!!

img743.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Poor little Tazzy, still, I expect it'll hurt you more than her! Dogs do seem to cope well with things like this.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
She can be ... especially when she's chasing Lily trying to bite her stumpy tail!

Stump chasing.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Poor little Tazzy, still, I expect it'll hurt you more than her! Dogs do seem to cope well with things like this.
You're right, but even the veterinary nurse who I spoke to when I booked the appointment seemed surprised ...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Update on Tazzy ... she went to the vets this morning and came back minus 3 front teeth! :cry: I haven't had a shuftie at her mush yet to see how clean her other teeth are but as far as I know no more have been removed. :unsure: Total cost was just over £180.

She' had some tea and is currently snuggling in her favourite beanbag bed and will be having a cuddle tonight.
New reply to an old thread but.....
In a dentist waiting room the other day and had a gander at their private patient price list.
Straight extraction = £78
Surgical extraction = £130.
I reckon £180 for three knashers removed was a bargain.

Wonder if they would consider human patients !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Feeding food with carbs and sugars in? Our cats get the best. Slim and shiny coats....from Scandinavia/Germany obviously:)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Holly's teeth were already brown with tartar when I found her and the vet reckoned she as only 18-24 months old. I've tried to clean them up and keep them clean over the years but last summer ( almost 9 years since I found her) she had to have 10 teeth out. Recovered well but even though she and Cass are similar ages, have same diet, Holly's remaining teeth tartar up whereas Cass's look just as they did as a 2 year old. Vet said it could be something to do with enzymes in saliva.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In a dentist waiting room the other day and had a gander at their private patient price list.

... don't think you'd like it when it came to taking your temperature ppj.....:LOL:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our other dogs don't have any problems at all - they're 12 and 8 - and have been fed the same food so it's just something to do with Tazzy's teeth, rather than what they're all given. I'll have to see what the vet says today as at this rate in a few years she'll have none at all. :unsure:

She's currently laid on the edge of the bed basking in the sunshine ... and having a nice snooze ... cute little b*gger! :D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I recon it was a bargain too. Our dog had a clean and scale and four out. Not much change from &500

Deleted User
Awe, hopefully not too painful or expensive.
Must be certain dogs like you say.
Biskit has problems with her teeth, had one out a few years ago as it kept getting infected, only way we realised was her face kept swelling up, tought it was from insect bites.
She's always had yellow teeth, despite having same food as the others. She has a lot of black teeth now, but vet isn't worried and she seems happy.
I wondered if it's from catching her ball, she likes it thrown up a lot so she can leap and catch it.
Indi prefers the speed running after hers and had brilliant white teeth.

Who knows, feel better soon Tazzy :)
Edit actually Biskit is the only one who carries a soft toy with her at all times when home, her and Mabel are inseparable maybe its that?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Because we've had our dogs from pups they are used to having their teeth brushed. They also have a daily dental stick. Sparkling gnashers:mad:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My nephew has a chihuahua which is a real devil dog and I wish its teeth would fall out....

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I recon it was a bargain too. Our dog had a clean and scale and four out. Not much change from &500
As the teeth she had out previously were just front teeth that were all wobbly anyway it would have been easy to take them out, rear one however will be more difficult and time consuming and expensive!:(

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The monster went in this morning and is now home ... one large back tooth removed with 3 'roots' one of which was completely rotten! £170 to have something 'removed' ... she's definitely got gingevitis so I'm gonna have to see what we can do about it as at this rate in a few years she'll have no noshers left! :(

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you considered adding some raw chicken into their diet?
Either raw chicken wings or carcasses can be eaten easily by small dogs and do a great job of keeping their teeth clean and breath fresh
Our GSD has lovely white gnashers

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
All my terriers have had teeth problems but they were all a bit older when trouble started. My labs didn't have same problem. I'm starting my young terrier on a dental routine . Hope Tazzy feeling better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back