Draining engine cooling system (1 Viewer)

autocruise

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everybody, can anyone point me to where on the engine block the correct nut is to drain the water from the cylinder block of a 1990 Fiat Ducato 2.5 turbo diesel? I have tried the Peter Russek manual but there is no diagram of where the nut to undo is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everybody, can anyone point me to where on the engine block the correct nut is to drain the water from the cylinder block of a 1990 Fiat Ducato 2.5 turbo diesel? I have tried the Peter Russek manual but there is no diagram of where the nut to undo is.

hi Autocruise and welcome to the FUN,:thumb:

is there a specific reason to drain the actual block?

OP
OP
autocruise

autocruise

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Pappajohn for such a quick reply. I have had this vehicle from new and flushed the block out a couple of times with a hosepipe through the thermostate housing and removing a radiator hose. I would like to drain it completley this time before flushing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok....:thumb:

i had a feeling it might be something like that.

in dont know where the engine drain bung is...sorry.

you should really reverse flush the radiator though (if you dont already).....stick the hose pipe in the bottom hose and seal it with an old rag or something.
youll get a lot more crap out that way

if you look at it like fish scales.....scrape one way and nothing happens....scrape backwards and they come off.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Ok....:thumb:

i had a feeling it might be something like that.

in dont know where the engine drain bung is...sorry.

you should really reverse flush the radiator though (if you dont already).....stick the hose pipe in the bottom hose and seal it with an old rag or something.
youll get a lot more crap out that way

if you look at it like fish scales.....scrape one way and nothing happens....scrape backwards and they come off.

No wonder your fish died John:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
you should really reverse flush the radiator though (if you dont already).....stick the hose pipe in the bottom hose and seal it with an old rag or something. youll get a lot more crap out that way.

I like the description!! :roflmto:

Having fiddled 'n flushed endless blocks over the years when still 'playing with cars'.......now i'd just bung a flushing agent in and let it go at that. But that's because i'm too knackered to fiddle anymore!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I like the description!! :roflmto:

Having fiddled 'n flushed endless blocks over the years when still 'playing with cars'.......now i'd just bung a flushing agent in and let it go at that. But that's because i'm too knackered to fiddle anymore!

so much easier...:thumb:::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is quite rare to find a coolant drain plug on any blocks newer than the 60s:whatthe: rads used to have them too in the olden gays:Eeek:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
It is quite rare to find a coolant drain plug on any blocks newer than the 60s:whatthe: rads used to have them too in the olden days:Eeek:
"Olden days"??? What "olden days"??:whatthe:

Transit radiators still have 'em........thankfully! :thumb:
A very useful and simple method of radiator draining.

Plain common sense has unfortunately been replaced by cost cutting daftness and complex technology.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
"Olden days"??? What "olden days"??:whatthe:

Transit radiators still have 'em........thankfully! :thumb:
A very useful and simple method of radiator draining.

Plain common sense has unfortunately been replaced by cost cutting daftness and complex technology.

true.......but like everything 'british' never brought into the 21st century.:Doh:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Take the bottom hose off Autocruise.
Probably as close as you'll get.

A new hose while you are at it is good idea.

Light vaseline on the inside of the first part of the hose either end is another good idea.

Good luck.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
The only way I know of draining my 93 Ducato is to remove the bottom radiator hose. I try to catch as much coolant as possible to save making a mess by using a large washing up bowl underneath. But lots of it runs along the chassis etc.

Phil.

OP
OP
autocruise

autocruise

Free Member
May 19, 2008
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks to all who took the time and trouble to reply and advice given. I will do as before and drop the top and bottom radiator hose and reverse flush the rad, block and cab heater.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back