Dealers - how do they deal with snagging lists? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
This is a question for Those of you who've bought from dealers and have had after-sale problems with your MHs.

We had problems with, amongst other things, our oven and alarm. We've been back to the dealers twice now to have these rectified but the same problems still remain with them.

Each visit has cost us 2 days in time and obviously fuel. It now appears we're going to have to visit again! another 450 mile round trip!

My question is would be be reasonable in expecting them to send an engineer down to us or to nominate a repairer local to us and foot the bill?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our nearest dealer is 2 hours away and we bought from them. When the first snagging list came up it was something that was noted before handover so they sent their mobile person. He can do small jobs but not big ones. We kept a note of anything and then had them fix it at the first service. We told them ahead of time. However a couple of things had to be ordered which neNs a trip down. We have to take it on a Saturday and pick up the following weekend. That means two trips, but cheaper than losing a day's pay. We are hoping the next things are able to be done on s Saturday morning so we may have a weekend down there. I think it would not unreasonable to ask the question could it be done local? Or if not urgent save it for the service.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am afraid that is one of the risks you face when not buying from a local dealer. You probably did that to save money, but that does leave you at risk. Unfortunately the motorhome side of things (unlike the base vehicle) is organised in such a way that the selling dealer deals with problems. That is, after all, who your contract is with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I am afraid that is one of the risks you face when not buying from a local dealer. You probably did that to save money, but that does leave you at risk. Unfortunately the motorhome side of things (unlike the base vehicle) is organised in such a way that the selling dealer deals with problems. That is, after all, who your contract is with.

No, we didn't go to this dealer to save money it was because they're the only Neismann and Bischoff dealers in the UK. The MH is still under warranty.

I don't understand what you mean by a base vehicle?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We bought local and had a 29 item snag list! I sorted more than half of these myself and waited nearly 4 months for them to complete the rest (spare parts are often not available off the shelf). Yes I am very picky but right is right and shoddy is unacceptable.
The satellite dish they fitted took over 18 months before they fitted one that worked being as I was about to issue court proceedings.
Buying new does not mean buying perfect. I honestly do not know if I would buy another new one due to the disappointment of lack of detail by the dealers.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our MH was a year old but hardly used - I guess that's why the snags are coming up now. The dealers have been efficient to an extent but the alarm and oven were things that they've attempted to rectify on two separate occasions and have obviously not carried out the work properly

My question is.... Is it reasonable for us now to ask them to either send a technician to us or to nominate and pay for a repairer local to us? My feeling is that two visits to the dealership should have given ample opportunity to resolve the problems.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In one respect its not the dealers responsibility that you live so far away - that hassle and expense would be classed as consequential loss.
However it's not unreasonable to expect the dealer to fix a problem first attempt - assuming they have identified the correct part, replaced it, and tested all is working correctly
I'd suggest speaking to the dealer to discuss your grievances and ask if they will send an engineer or appoint a local one.
You've nothing to loose by asking
Best of luck getting your problem sorted !

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe an email to the manager detailing your problem............if then not satisfied..........an email to Neismann Bischoff with your problem.

Snagging in new motorhomes seems to be accepted, as i have said before, we as a club should highlight every little snag with every Motorhome .

I had to return my new van 7 times before i got all snagging issues sorted.
Dealer just didn't have a clue.

I'm sure in your case ( being only uk dealer) Neismann Bischoff would want to know of your shoddy service with a high end product.

Good luck with what ever you decide is your next step.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is it reasonable for us now to ask them to either send a technician to us or to nominate and pay for a repairer local to us?
I'd suggest speaking to the dealer to discuss your grievances and ask if they will send an engineer or appoint a local one.
I'd think it's perfectly reasonable, in fact we did the same about 3 weeks ago, found a local Swift approved service engineer and talked with our dealer. Got the job done under warranty that weekend, locally, instead of a 6-8 week delay at the dealers, 125 miles away.
The local engineers will be doing our hab checks from now on too - I believe this is OK to do, even under warranty.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I'm afraid I don't understand your comments.

Why would it be risky buying from a non-local dealer? Surely the only difference between a local and non-local is distance.

What do you mean by the base vehicle as opposed to the motorhome? Surely the manufacturers have a responsibility as well as the dealership?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Your base vehicle will be either Fiat or Iveco, a simple blank chassis arrives at the N+B factory, they then build the motor home onto it. So if you have a problem with the engine, brakes, drive shafts etc, or steering rack as I did, then you simply call Iveco or Fiat's number as in the manual or go to your nearest main dealer for warranty attention. Or indeed chassis service issues.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the base vehicle is the chassis and engine etc supplied to the motorhome builder. for instance a Mercedes based van would have engine issues sorted by the mercedes commercial garage, not by a motorhome dealership

Deleted User
Some dealers offer a collect and return service, with the same fuel at return as collection, yo could ask if they have this option.
I agree though having had it back twice what are they playing at?
We didn't use our dealer for snags as they proved themselves to be completely incapable of even common sense very early on so we went to the manufacturer. In your case it's harder, so note your complaints and check with the manufacturer if any of the items that require attention could be dealt with by an approved local agent, things like oven and alarm might not be unique to that manufacturer, so they might allow you to use another agent.

Good luck hope you get sorted.

Lin :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm afraid I don't understand your comments.

Why would it be risky buying from a non-local dealer? Surely the only difference between a local and non-local is distance.

What do you mean by the base vehicle as opposed to the motorhome? Surely the manufacturers have a responsibility as well as the dealership?
It would be less risky simply because of the distance, which I understood to be your main complaint. The closer they are the easier it is for you.

As others have explained the base vehicle is whatever chassis/engine company your motorhome is based upon - e.g. Fiat, Mercedes or Iveco. If there are problems with that part you can take it to your nearest Fiat, Mercedes or Iveco dealer for warranty work, although in the case of the first two it would need to be a commercial dealership rather than cars.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @peterc10 I understand what you are saying but @Oriel has purchased from their closest dealer it's just that dealer is still a long way away being the sole UK agent for Niesmann+Bischoff.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @peterc10 I understand what you are saying but @Oriel has purchased from their closest dealer it's just that dealer is still a long way away being the sole UK agent for Niesmann+Bischoff.

Martin
You are right, but I did not know that at the time. And in reality the main reason that many people buy from a dealers several hundred miles from them is price, and all I was doing was pointing out the risks inherent in doing that. Maybe you could say it is a risk inherent in buying a motorhome with only one UK dealer. But then, I can quite understand why somebody might want to take that risk to get an N+B motorhome!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your explanation Peter. I misunderstood what you meant by the word 'risky'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back