Aug 1, 2015
north Wales
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
i am a newbie
hi all

It's my first time on here! We are looking to purchase a motorhome really quickly and after advice on how to find the motor home for us! We are looking for 4 berth with four seat belts with a fixed bed and over bed cabin - we have looked at a swift suntor 630g. I am worried it might be too big for our first. We have £22k to spend. Any advice on makes models.

Thanks Clare

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Never ever rush to buy a motorhome. Research what you want, layout, size etc.
Try to view as many different models at motorhome shows and dealers.
So many people make an expensive snap decision.
Also what weight vehicle are you licensed to drive.
Most importantly make sure there is no damp.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi Clare,

You are getting answers on your other post :)

Don't want to repeat myself but take your time, buy in haste and repent at leisure.

What about hiring for a week or two?

For me the most important thing when choosing make and model is layout. You will have to compromise somewhere so make a list of must haves, nice to haves and must NOT have. This will eliminate quite a lot :)

Payload and what you are allowed to drive is also important...... if you only have a "B" driving licence don't buy a motorhome rated at over 3.5 tonnes. Also many motorhomes are plated at 3.5 tonnes but that leaves very little carrying capacity so make sure you get a weighbridge ticket. Everything put into the van (including fuel) eats into your payload.

If you do see a van you like you can always ask a local funster to look at it with or for you. If it is some way from where you live someone having a sniff around would be able to say it is worth seeing or not to waste your time :)

Not sure what you drive now or what your driving experience is but you can take a short course to make you feel more comfortable driving a motorhome. One of the members here has a driving school that would organise this and the two big clubs (caravan club and camping and caravan club) also do courses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clarebear70

Free Member
Aug 1, 2015
north Wales
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
i am a newbie
Hi
Thanks for your replies - I have the right driving licence! The driving lessons sound a fab idea - where do I find more about those - thanks

Clare

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Take your time,make sure its right first time it will save you money take it from one who learnt the hard way
then enjoy what you buy.

Upvote 0

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
The driving lessons sound a fab idea - where do I find more about those

I would love to hear more about those too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi
Thanks for your replies - I have the right driving licence! The driving lessons sound a fab idea - where do I find more about those - thanks

Clare
The caravan club charge about £150 or thereabouts but I think you could get it a lot cheaper from your local HGV training company.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back