So so new (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2013
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654
Exp
We are a mother and 2 adult daughters that bought a hymer 654 2 years ago. It is very big but we love it and so dose are cat Shankly. Winnie (our mh) is 23 years old but lovely. We are going on our first long trip soon to Cornwall. Just need any advice on driving down country lanes and any other advice you think we might need. Thanks x

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome. I keep hankering after upgrading my Hymer 564 to a 654 to gain all that extra space.
The lanes in Cornwall are not too daunting after a while. If Tintagel is on your itinery there are two private car parks which allow overnighting with a motorhome for £3.50/night. Other Funsters more familiar with Cornwall can probably recommend other places to stop.
Enjoy your travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We are going on our first long trip soon to Cornwall. Just need any advice on driving down country lanes and any other advice you think we might need. Thanks x
Not trying to be funny but the best thing to remember is your mirrors are the widest thing at the front of your MoHo. If they fit through the rest should, the watch out front then down the side, front, mirror. If really in doubt stop! and let the oncoming vehicle pass you.
If using a map unless we really need to use them we stay away from 'white' roads and stick to red and yellow.
Enjoy your trip and try not to worry too much, easy to say but try. (y)

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
YOU will get down pretty much anywhere you want to go - it's the 'others' you need to watch! Just take your time and if in doubt - stop and let 'them' pass you. Remember - you DO own the road actually;)

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
country lanes have a huge appetite for wing mirrors, drive slowly expecting a huge tractor to come around the next bend (because it will) and give the hedge some space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Liver birds
Sep 15, 2013
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654
Exp
Thanks all. Last time we used it the clutch went on the motorway, all I can say is I am glad we had recovery. As I said we are new to this but enjoying it so much. I know things can go wrong but we are survivors and not bad at DIY x

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Keep an eye out for bus stops on the roads you are travelling on and remember if a bus can get through so can you. If no bus stops think a bin lorry must get down here so can I. Welcome by the way. (y)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome!
upload_2015-8-1_15-34-4.png

We've lived in Cornwall for over 30 years [ :eek: That long!!! ], mostly down narrow country lanes .....

Single-track roads with 90 degree bends and 3 metre high Cornish hedges (stone walls disguised by being covered in greenery) are not for the faint-hearted. Passing places are not so frequent as on similar roads in Scotland. Many narrow lanes don't have a bus service, and on these lanes bin lorries are actually small flat-beds, much smaller than most MHs. Having said that, the rufty-tufties on here would manage to drive an RV along a tightrope, so I guess it's all about your levels of skill and confidence.
Any road with a white line down the middle should be fine.
Have great fun travelling to, and exploring this lovely county!
I'd offer to meet up somewhere but we're away until about October.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You shouldn’t have many ,if any problems ,as has already been said drive with care and if heading for a campsite there will always be a Car and Caravan coming towards you with a driver that doesn’t know how to reverse. If down this way next week why not call in to the Ilfracombe meet at @Wildman Lazy Buzzard cl site
:)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tell me if the video work for you please.

Martin

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yup (y)
That's one long tractor/ trailer! :eek:
Where please?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yup (y)
That's one long tractor/ trailer! :eek:
Where please?

On the way to a little camp site 4 miles from the Norfolk show ground for two night, the wagon the next morning was even closer, the more I kept left the more the wheels whent up the camber on the grass verge and the more the top of the van tilted over, anyway an inch is as good as a mile as a miss goes.

Martin

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Roads with white lines, what are they, we have grass agrowin up the middle of ours!.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back