Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Early thoughts - we are presently in Eidfjord, East of Bergen:

Awesome scenery, as expected - my view from van is down fjord with snow capped sheer cliffs.
Food and petrol (around £1 per l diesel) have not been as expensive as expected.
The journey over from Hoek of Holland involves a bit of tedious autobahn with many lorries and a few minor accidents delaying us. Denmark had little to recommend from the central motorway and it rained big time.
The ferry Hirtshall to Kristiansand was easy and had a good buffet bar. I had to REVERSE 8m of truck onto the ferry!

We are sticking to red roads on Michelin map and even so the E13 along Solfjorden was a clencher - hope to stay on wider roads from now.

The have a lot of tunnels - the local one has 2 roundabouts deep in the mountain!!!
Much of Norway's appeal depends on geography so it seems, so if the weather is iffy, one's activities are limited - although we've just returned from a good 20km bike ride.
The major sights are relatively busy so opportunities to park said 8m not always easy!
We did see a mighty impressive waterfall.
West coast is picturesque (but ? nicer than view from Caerfai Bay, St Davids!) and force 8 gale restricts you.

All in all (at there risk of being flamed) it feels like Scotland without the interesting bits!! And my wife keeps mentioning her choice was Corsica!!

Glad we've made it, but we shall not race back.

Attachments

• _DSC9824.jpg
    _DSC9824.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 31
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My memory from my trip a few years back, was the scenery was dramatic once we were north of the arctic circle, the South was as you describe....a bit Scottish. The North is just fantastic especially if the sun shines, although it is a long drive to get there.

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Z

Can you tell me what the roads were like ooop North?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All in all (at there risk of being flamed) it feels like Scotland without the interesting bits!! And my wife keeps mentioning her choice was Corsica!!

It's an experience, you can't be 100% right all the time.

Corsica is grand, where the rich Italians go on holiday.

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Corsica is our favourite ever place (including our honeymoon) but I'd rather even the Norwegian switchbacks than take the truck across the mountains of Corsica!
But I agree - at my age it is not so much - "do you want to go to Norway?" - as "are you happy dying without ever going to Norway?"!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Thanks Z

Can you tell me what the roads were like ooop North?
The roads are fine, we used a few ferries in the far north and made it all the way to North Cape without a problem, the only downer always a speeding ticket of £750 which I either could pay or go to jail for two weeks, all for about 75mph on their normal roads. So watch the speed !! It's expensive up there! But I would still go back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back