Universal Laptop Power Adapter (1 Viewer)

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I think that is Doug site "the pips" give him a pm he is very helpful.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I'm looking for something to power my laptop whilst on the move. I came across this one at Action Replay: 12 volt 90 watt Universal Laptop Power Adapter

I've written to them but have not had a reply, so wondering if anyone can recommend an alternative reliable/safe product.

Cheers :thumb:

Paul

Maplins do one Link Removed

better wattage works great:thumb:

Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ladyrunner

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6 happy years !!
Another 12v laptop adapter question!

I recommend the Maplins one as well. Works perfectly on my laptop

Ian

I was thinking of getting one of these for my laptop, but first wanted to know if they charge your laptop battery if plugged into the leisure battery socket if you are not driving (ie. engine not running)??

It's just my LCD motorhome TV has to be run through a 240v invertor to charge the battery, and will only work on 12v if engine is running.

Thanks
Julie

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi all

I bought one of the Maplins ones and it works a treat. It charges my Laptop from the Leisure batteries.

Kevin

Ladyrunner

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6 happy years !!
Hi all

I bought one of the Maplins ones and it works a treat. It charges my Laptop from the Leisure batteries.

Kevin

.... With the engine NOT running??? Sorry but I want to be clear on this before I spend the money.

Thanks
Julie

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Think thats up to your van and laptop rather than the charger....

For instance, I have a 12v socket in the middle of my van via various wires; and one straight off the leisure battery. The laptop only charges via the one on the battery direct due to voltage drop over the wires.

And thats only if I have my extra-life battery on my big laptop. On my little laptop with little battery it charges fine from any connection.

"The engine running" view of yours is due to this making the leisure batteries 14v+ which means even with voltage drop it will be high enough to get the laptop to charge.

Hope this makes sense - what I'm trying to say is it should work, but its down to specific details of your van.

HTH!!!

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for the positive feedback guys but Action Replay has effectively stopped trading. The website will disappear very, very soon. Unfortunately I simply can't compete with the purchasing power of the multiples. I've lost count of the number of times I've given advice only to see them purchase from Tesco's or Aldi's for less than I can buy for.
I'd set up email filtering to forward the few enquiries that are still coming in to my private email address but I must have got it a bit wrong :roflmto: Other than my webmastery most of my time is spent trying to keep myself in gainful employment :ROFLMAO:

If your laptop requires 120 watts then make sure your cigarette lighter and fuse can support it. Remember that as the battery voltage drops so the amperage goes up. If you're only getting 11v at the socket then you'll be drawing 11 amps. Secondly make absolutely certain that the polarity is the right way round. Get it wrong and you'll be looking for a new motherboard.

The only laptops that are a real problem are Dells. Virtually all their laptops since the Inspiron have proprietary and also put a signal onto the power supply. If the laptop doesn't get the correct signal it won't charge.

Hope that's useful

Regards
Doug

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
.... With the engine NOT running??? Sorry but I want to be clear on this before I spend the money.

Thanks
Julie

The converter has a stablised output mine is connected to the leisure battery you will need to select the apropriate power plug for your laptop also you will need to select the correct voltage usually 19v (This voltage is printed on the 240v transformer your laptop has).

The maplin converter will convert 12v to the set voltage 19v you have set which then plugs directly into the laptop, no need to run the engine ;but how long you can use it for will depend how big you batteries are.

You can buy an inverter which is connected to your battery ie 12v to 240v and the use your normal 240v power supply ; but doing this you are going from 12v to 240v to 19v

Makes sense to go from 12v to 19v uses less power and the other thing is some laptop power supplies are sensitive to a modified sine wave .

The choice is yours ;but as i said works perfect for me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for the positive feedback guys but Action Replay has effectively stopped trading. The website will disappear very, very soon. Unfortunately I simply can't compete with the purchasing power of the multiples. I've lost count of the number of times I've given advice only to see them purchase from Tesco's or Aldi's for less than I can buy for.

Sorry to hear that Doug .. you can't beat personal service and advice .. all but lost these days :Sad:

The one you supplied for my Mac Powerbook is still going strong.. far better than the Mac original and about half the price .. :thumb:

Jim

OP
OP
nozzmoking

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Many thanks for all your replies. It's been really helpful.

Doug, I'm also sorry to hear about your plight. I know exactly what you mean. I run a print company and it happens on a very regular basis where we've spent a great deal of time with someone, explaining all the options and giving free technical advice, only to then see them take the knowledge and source a slightly cheaper deal.

I know how frustrating this must have been for you, so can only wish you the best for the future.

Cheers

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back