Sleeping in mh on your own driveway (1 Viewer)

Bitterneparker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
vw t4 holdsworth
Exp
18 mnths
Following a visit from an environmental health technician from our local council,courtesy of a very nosy neighbour,who informed the council I had someone living in my small mh which is parked on our driveway.I haven'l by the way,but it got me thinking about what the legal implications are about sleeping on your own property.Does anybody know what rights you have or have views on the subject?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As far as I'm aware it is legal to use a Caravan/Motorhome as a temporary bedroom, but anyone staying in it must use the toilet and washing facilities in the house,

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you lived in it permanently there could be planning implications. In the same way you can park a caravan on your drive but I don't think a member of your family could live in it without getting planning consent.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
When I moved home had to sleep and cook in motorhome for 3weeks as house electrics stripped out and no furniture. Never had any problems.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some estates have covenants specifically banning living/sleeping in caravans or motorhomes. My late mother-in-law bought a bungalow built on what was once a private estate. in the deeds it included a list of unacceptable actions including this, enforceable by any other homeowner
I parked a caravan on her drive whilst we were getting work done at home. caused unnecessary issues with neighbours with an attitude problem

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Simply put a caravan or motorhome can be used as temporary sleeping accommodation however they must rely on the house for normal living. The vehicle must be parked within the curtilage of the house. As said if there is a covenant on the property then that is enforceable by the other householders not by the council unless of course it is council owned land.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As far as I'm aware it is legal to use a Caravan/Motorhome as a temporary bedroom, but anyone staying in it must use the toilet and washing facilities in the house,

:cooler:

Spot on that man if you have a caravan or a Mh on your own property it can be used as a spare bedroom legally !
Whose to know or how can they prove that you may be eating or washing in it ?
It's more than likely that you may want a snack or a wee during the night which is more than acceptable as long as you make it known that your having your main meal In the house and it's just an extra bedroom there's sod all they can do.

Vlad

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think the neighbour needs at least one gerbil inserting into his anus, just for the hell of it of course!!
I lived in my Motorhome on the "drive" for 2 years whilst I built my house, nobody gave a sh*te!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Slept in ours last night on one drive while my nephew & his partner slept in theirs on the other drive :D

Deleted User
Getting the covenants enforced is a whole different problem.

I was warned that it is quite easy to get a covenant enforced.
If there is a covenant on a property and someone is breaking the covenant and this is causing a problem for a neighbour, then the neighbour can ask the company (or person) who holds the covenant to enforce the covenant conditions. If the company does not enforce the covenant conditions then the neighbour can sue them for non enforcement as they may have bought their property partly because of the protection of the covenants that are on the deeds.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
As Borderland says a covenant can only be enforced by the person or company which placed the covenant on the property, usually the builder when they build a new estate put such a covenant on so that potential house buyers do not see caravans and motorhomes scattered about the estate and put them off buying, as has been said the neighbour cannot enforce the covenant only the people who put the covenant on can do this.
Don

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As Borderland says a covenant can only be enforced by the person or company which placed the covenant on the property, usually the builder when they build a new estate put such a covenant on so that potential house buyers do not see caravans and motorhomes scattered about the estate and put them off buying, as has been said the neighbour cannot enforce the covenant only the people who put the covenant on can do this.
Don

Correct. And thus almost every (notice the word almost) are unenforceable. :whistle:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Environmental health technician? Wow! I bet he can't wait to tell people that! :laughing:

Craig

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
As mentioned before you can use your MH/Caravan as a spare bedroom but cannot cook and use it as a separate dwelling. Nosy neighbours usually have little else in life or they would be doing something else.
Etap

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I think the neighbour needs at least one gerbil inserting into his anus, just for the hell of it of course!!
I lived in my Motorhome on the "drive" for 2 years whilst I built my house, nobody gave a sh*te!
That is very unfair to the gerbil, being homed in asses anus. What really needs to be done for this neighbour is to wait for them to go on holiday then insert a male and a female rat with a plentiful supply of food through their letter box of his house. Then wait a few weeks and inform the environmental health of a rodent problem.

OP
OP
B

Bitterneparker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
vw t4 holdsworth
Exp
18 mnths
To late Vectian they have also sent said 'technician' round previously about imaginary rat problem.As said previously doesn't work,no kids no friends ,she.s got F all better to do.They haven't even got a car that I could put dog poo on the handles.
Thanks for all your replies.I now feel confident on putting the room to let sign on the mh windscreen.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Covenants aside (and these are attached to the LAND not to the PERSON so they do continue)

The Need a Planning Permission
Essentially, you do not need a planning permission to keep a caravan in your garden. The laws are not stringent about parking a caravan in your own garden provided that the nature of its parking is only temporary.

You do not need a planning permission if the caravan is considered an annex of your home either. You need to establish this fact though. You have to prove that the caravan maintains a moveable status. But if it becomes the main part or your only dwelling, you would need a planning permission for the same.

A caravan in your garden enjoys a ‘mobile’ status if it is considered as incidental to the enjoyment of your home; which means it is an addition to your home and not a separate unit.

But a planning permission is necessary if you plan to make the caravan in your garden as a separate dwelling place for you.
Broken Link Removed

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
To late Vectian they have also sent said 'technician' round previously about imaginary rat problem.As said previously doesn't work,no kids no friends ,she.s got F all better to do.They haven't even got a car that I could put dog poo on the handles.
Thanks for all your replies.I now feel confident on putting the room to let sign on the mh windscreen.
Get her phone number.
Advertise in 'select publications' of her 'select services' to 'select Gentlemen' ...... Don't forget to add her address/postcode.
Get in MH and get comfy, popcorn to hand and watch some fun!
Remember the photographs for publication later !
:whistle::whistle:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Now boys and girls calm down, the nosy neighbour maybe useful when you are away as they will always be keeping a look out for you and may spot someone doing no good to your property, then they have a reason to ring the police and become in themselves useful at last!
Etap

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We have lived in 3 (new build) houses since 2001 with covenants that say we can't even park caravans or motorhomes on our drive. They are allowed round the back of house out of site.
We compromise, ours is parked with inches to spare to the side. So far so good. Hate having it in store I like to faff for days before going away, especially on a long trip.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
House we lived in a few years ago had a covenant that said No sign written vans. No caravans or motor homes. and No boats.
Said housing estate is now littered with all of the above.

Having been in construction and development for 40 years I can assure you these covenants are nearly always ignored and almost completely unenforceable.

I think its very important to respect our nieghbours feelings and I consulted our immediate neighbours before buying our MH but if you get a nosy or bad one then they can stir things up.

No one or any organisation is going to go down the legal route as litigation is bankrupting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back