Recommendations for a small quiet portable air con unit (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Recommendations for a small quiet portable air con unit please preferably with fishtail outlet

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
No such thing as small or quiet when it comes to air con, ours is roof mounted not quiet at all when its on full, and still not very powerful

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't recommended really anything but it is worth highlighting there are basically two sorts. The first and in my experience worst are evaporative coolers which cool the air by evaporating water. The air is indeed cooled but it is laden with moisture. Not good when you are hot as it reduces the bodie's own cooling mechanism.
The best sort are proper compressor driven things which eject the heat out through a hose in true portable versions. These as others have said are not generally quiet. I can only suggest trying to get a dB figure for different models and choose on that, but take into account their power as the quietest might be so puny they are uséless.
My advice, unless you have some medical issue which demands A/C then I would suggest you just buy a good fan and get used to the heat!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Woodentop I was thinking the same, and have decided that opening rooflights and air movement by "quiet" fan is probably better value for money. So; conventional or "small tower fan" Doing the research, 12v will limit options, but we mostly use sites and hook-up,
regards
alan b

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
There's two types of portable mechanical ac

Mono bloc systems where everything is housed in one box inside with a tube to outside for the condenser air( these tubes are the same as you have on a tumble drier - 150mm in diameter) , These systems are inherently noisy relatively cheap and go up to about 3.5kw from a standard 13 amp plug

There are also Split systems where the condenser is hung out the window (a coil with a fan in it) these are connected with a small flexible umbilical. These only house the compressor and evaporator fan inside so are a little quieter and go up to 6kw from a standard plug. They are more expensive and harder to lump about though.

Evaporative coolers provide some cooling but confined in a van will only increase the moisture content of the air which is not what you really want.

Your better off with a small cheap mono bloc system 2.5kw or so and running it for a couple of hours before bed to remove the fabric heat load - ie the heat built up in the fabric of the van and internals. This will keep you cool enough to get off to sleep. Wait till the autumn and shop around I've bought 3kw mono blocks for as little as £95 +vat.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Look out for one with a rotary compressor.

I have just sold a cracking Italian built one for peanuts. Had it years.

There is an airforce 15 on the market. You can add a remote kit so when on site you could site the outdoor unit outside and pump the cool or heated air into the mh.

Tm

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No such thing....bring a fan. Even that you won't use all night as gets to cool. You really are better of acclimatising, it don't take long

OP
OP
WOOOODENTOP
Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Just checked out the Cool my Camper unit and its no good for our MH I need a stand alone unit and vent thru sliding rear window via fishtail adapter

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Thanks...This unit looks good has anyone used it to comment
Reading the spec it notes that the maximum cooling capacity is 700 watts and it admits that a van in direct sunlight can easily gain 3kw. So over an hour there will be 2300 watt heat build up using this system.i.e it will not reduce the heat in the space.
It's a toy town system a waste of space and energy.
Open all the windows, roof vents etc and move the air with a fan and live like the locals.
A proper a/c system say rated at 3kw, will be heavy and power hungry and not a practical solution for a MH?

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Just checked out the Cool my Camper unit and its no good for our MH I need a stand alone unit and vent thru sliding rear window via fishtail adapter
The problem with these units is that they take air from the space and use it to cool the condenser and then pump it outside, albeit a little warmer than before. Replacement air is drawn from the ambient outdoor and thereby increases the air temperature of the space. It's a vicious circle. Air in the space is cooled and then some of it is drawn back into the machine.
Generally they are rubbish and not worth the power consumption, weight or space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back