south of france (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
for the last few years we have been going to the south of france on the 75 over millou bridge but we are going with family this year and they would prefer to go the least mountainous way what way would you suggest i was thinking lyon but i have memmories of going through an awfull long tunnel that i hated in lyon and dont fancy it again is there a way round this or can anyone suggest a way that isnt to mountainess and hasnt got a long tunnel . would be gratefull for any advice thankyou

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You could go down the west route, which means either going through Paris or round it by basically travelling west along the north coast from Calais, and utilising the N20 (D2020) down to Vierzon, then picking up the A20 non-péage, down to Limoges, then Toulouse. The old road at that point is not too busy, so you can still go non-péage for a while, but it's probably worth paying thereafter. You also pass close to Carcassone, if you've not been. It's a route we take often and quite like. There's a good Aires at Lamotte-Beuvron, and you pass close to the lovely Rodez region and cross the Dordogne. It depends which part of the South Coast you are aiming for, though. You could also turn left at Vierzon but you'd be stuck with Milau.

OP
OP
sillybug
Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
thanks dorwyn havent been that way for about 20 years cant remember what the mountains are like wouldnt normally bother but like i say family coming with us in their van but i dont think they have much confidence in it and are very weary so just trying to make it as easy as possible

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I can second Dorwyns suggestion. There is also a decent aire at Carcassonne if you decide to stop for a visit, but make it early if it's in the summer.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You could go down the west route, which means either going through Paris or round it by basically travelling west along the north coast from Calais, and utilising the N20 (D2020) down to Vierzon, then picking up the A20 non-péage, down to Limoges, then Toulouse. The old road at that point is not too busy, so you can still go non-péage for a while, but it's probably worth paying thereafter. You also pass close to Carcassone, if you've not been. It's a route we take often and quite like. There's a good Aires at Lamotte-Beuvron, and you pass close to the lovely Rodez region and cross the Dordogne. It depends which part of the South Coast you are aiming for, though. You could also turn left at Vierzon but you'd be stuck with Milau.
Not much in the way of mountains, or even hills except for a short stretch. Bon Voyage! There's also a great aires at Rodez, just off the A20.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back