Kent Police request 'Mutual Aid' over Op' Stack (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Kent Police have asked for Mutual Aid (an official system of support whereby other police forces are asked to send resources). Kent Police have requested this aid in respect of Operation Stack.

I guess that the Kent force is creaking financially and operationally - trying to cope with what is, in effect, a lengthy major incident whilst at the same time, trying to deal with normal policing demands in the County.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Just the two extra officers on overtime then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think the port authorities and euro-tunnel should contribute towards the reasonable costs of policing re Operation Stack.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Just heard an interesting idea from a farmer on Kent FM radio. He suggests putting all the lorries on Manston Aerodrome to free-up the roads.

Manston - now disused - has a massive runway. ( I should know, I managed to make 3 'landings' out of one once :D). Concorde has landed there. It's got plenty of land too. Good idea????

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just heard an interesting idea from a farmer on Kent FM radio. He suggests putting all the lorries on Manston Aerodrome to free-up the roads.

Manston - now disused - has a massive runway. ( I should know, I managed to make 3 'landings' out of one once :D). Concorde has landed there. It's got plenty of land too. Good idea????

Sound ideal althouh I'm not familiar with the place. Is there direct (ish) access to the M20? There would need to be as routing the lorries through miles of rural Kent to get to and from it would create as many problems as it solves.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@scousebird is better placed to answer about the local topography but no, there is no direct link to the M20. They would need to route the lorries down the M2, then a section of the A2, then turn on to the A28. Manston airport is located near Ramsgate, so probably not a good idea as far as the locals are concerned. The farmer who mentioned it was miffed that he couldn't feed his livestock because of Op Stack.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
quite simply deliveries have to stop until the blockage is cleared, how are the lorries coping for diesel
I wonder.
All this wild parking, hee hee

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How are the drivers being fed and watered and are there any portaloos I wonder?

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
I'm not trying to hi-jack your post wingman, but it does kind of fit in with the theme of this, but I just cannot understand why there's been such an uproar surrounding our beloved Prime Minister when he described those illegal immigrants attempting to force their way into the UK as "a swarm." OK, he could of chosen another way of saying it but my Oxford English dictionary defines a swarm (apart from the way bees congregate) as "a large group of people or things." The way these immigrants leave their "camps" by the hundreds and by causing criminal damage to fencing, trespass onto the railway line in an illegal attempt to breach immigration legislation, was that really not a fair description of such large number centering on one point at the same time?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The airfield seems like a good shout and would be advisable in future years.

Makes the other politicians look stupid in condemning what Cameron said as he is factually correct

All this does is stoke the fires for the out vote when we have the referendum, out of the EU solves most of the problems over night.
Sort out some of the human rights stuff as well and the farce of claiming asylum can disappear as well.

The trouble is non of our politicians have big enough gonads to tackle these things

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
How are the drivers being fed and watered and are there any portaloos I wonder?

When we returned from Frances about 3 weeks ago there were portaloos set up on both sides of the M20 for miles and miles. At one, a passing car driver was making use of it! ::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Manston is not the best option, too far away and the route back to Dover is not great. Some have mentioned the old Folkestone racecourse but that is all grass so not a good idea or the now redundant Aylesford Papers site near Maidstone BUT of course, nobody wants an HGV park near them and the MPs, councillors etc. won't make a decision (probably due to vote losing)!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
An out vote on the EU will not solve the problem!
instead it will move the UK border from France to England!
So, you will have the migrants in the UK rather than Calais!!!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Dibgate camp, Army land directly nr motorway. grass areas are hard as rock so for emergency operations ideal to park up.
Come to think of it how much land does the military have in Kent area.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Dibgate camp, Army land directly nr motorway. grass areas are hard as rock so for emergency operations ideal to park up.
Come to think of it how much land does the military have in Kent area.
According to the BBC they're discussing using MOD land at the moment

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Problem to be resolved soon, :rofl::rofl: (don't hold breath) DAVE is chairing a Cobra committee meeting today.
Oh Please!, stop talking, make a firm decision.
Nero fiddles ......................etc........

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
An out vote on the EU will not solve the problem!
instead it will move the UK border from France to England!
So, you will have the migrants in the UK rather than Calais!!!

They better be good swimmers or start making rafts, plus we'll put mines out, artillery on the shore and have the home gaurd on stand by, even Hitler didn't make it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just picking up scousebirds comments about people from all over the country to use Dover:- The media (god love em!) have been struggling to interview the people who are most affected by operation stack ( the HGV Drivers) because most of them can't speak English.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Wonder if 'Dave' has been reading the Funster Forum? Seems as soon as we mentioned Airfields yesterday, our PM is now considering a proposal to use MOD property when Cobra meets today.

@B-well That seems like a good site Ramon.

Parking up lorries though is all 'firefighting' and not finding a permanent solution. That will be difficult to achieve. Apart from the more extreme solutions put forward in other posts (Blowing up the tunnel and machine-gunning the immigrants) it's difficult to see a way forward.

At the moment, there's circa 3,000 waiting to cross, with more making their way. Build a fence, they will cut through it. Fine them? They have no money. Jail or intern them? For how long; they will be back. Beat them with truncheons? What, 3,000 of them left bleeding from head wounds in the streets? Don't think so.

The matter is costing millions; perhaps billions in trade, policing on both sides of the channel and also money being spent by the Navy and in processing them in Italy.

Stop them at source? How do you patrol the whole of Africa's coastline? If the Eurozone countries affected interned them, processed them properly (by fingerprinting/DNA etc) at least if would take the pressure off the the ports? Who will pay for it though? Where do you intern them and who wants an interment camp on their turf when they riot and break out?

Deport them, send the buggers back, is the cry; but where to? They ain't going to give their address as 22 Acacia Avenue, Asmara are they!

Oh what a problem to solve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back