LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When we bought our first m/h we thought we needed a privacy room so purchased one ..... soon realised it was too heavy, bulky and restricted moving the van so it never got used and soon sold it at a loss.

We now have wind blockers,which although seldom used, are at least light weight and compact.

Unless you intend staying on site for long periods and need the extra space I would definitely recommend wind blockers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wind blockers every time. Light, quick to put up, take up no space when stored so always with me. I did buy an awning, used it twice in 2 years, spent the rest of the time in the garage.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We bought some wind blockers anticipating strong sun in France this June, what fools we were:D
Anyway, one afternoon my wife suggested trying to put up one of the sides, I moaned and groaned saying it would take ages and we would have an argument etc.
Blow me, it was up in 10 minutes including the unpacking, no arguing and it was really effective.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We've looked at both and went for a quality 5m wind break mainly because we don't stay at one place very long.
Wet silver screens are bad enough to pack away a wet privacy room no thanks.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Wind blockers also cut down the rain, you can sit within a meter or so and not get wet (unless really heavy), it's quite pleasant, surprisingly relaxing listening to the rain but remaining (mostly) dry. It also means that you are not totally restricted to the van. And I certainly agree that they dry quick, which means you can take them down just before you leave. They are a little too expensive and could easily be made at home for much less, however.
We use a Fiamma end-blocker, as our van is small.
We have made our own Safari room using a discarded awning, and suspended the sides in the same way using expanding washing line props. Much cheaper.

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
I take it most people favour lillypads?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We bought wind blockers some 5 years ago. Still as good as new. Brilliant for cutting down the wind but can also be used to provide additional partial shade. Quick to dry, fast to pack up and minimal storage space required. No brainer really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've got both a safari room and windblockers. We no longer take the safari room finding it heavy and cumbersome compared to the windblockers. However there are areas in which it is better. Some call them privacy rooms and for good reason as the sides are solid and therefore in my opinion more secure from prying eyes. The one we have is a Fiamma Zip and it is far more robust especially in strong winds, there is non of the flapping by the awning which you get with windblockers. It is easier to effectively seal a safari room, therefore less draughts. In winter it is much warmer than a windblocker. So why don't we take it? Convenience. If we are going to a sight in winter for any length of time then we will be taking the safari room, otherwise it's the windblockers.

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Another vote for the wind blockers, we have the Lilypad ones, absolutely brilliant, very light, dry quickly and are easy to put up.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have both the Lillypad wind blocker with inner membrane and Thule safari room sides.
The Lillypad is fine in still or a light breeze, any more and it`s a waste of time.
The Safari room sides are excellent in any weather, we don`t have a front section just the sides and there is hardly any difference in time to put up, yes the safari sides are more bulky as you also have the aluminium poles and roof rails, but they can be used in stormy conditions.
The biggest set back is you require a set of step ladders to put the Safari side up.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Like others, we thought we needed a safari room.
The best advice we were given, and that saved us a lot of wasted money...
Next time you're on a camp site, have a look at how many motorhomes have a safari room. The answer probably be zero (or close to). Lots get bought, but few get used. ;)

Last edited:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Like others, we thought we needed a safari room.
The best advice we were given, and that saved us a lot of wasted money...
Next time you're on a damp site, have a look at how many motorhomes have a safari room. The answer probably be zero (or close to). Lots get bought, but few get used. ;)

What about on a sunny site?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the fiamma side panels, a small porch awning and a quality Jormax solid windbreak. We can pick and choose what to use depending on conditions or length of stay.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We have both use blockers all the time. I have light sensitivity so direct sun is no good. Blockers work great. Privacy room we both like but wr are never in one place lo enough. So blockers win for us.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
this is what you call a heavy one
AWNING VIEW.jpg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm sure there's little difference but we got ours from Parrotsol.

The main benefit of our panels are they are fully waterproof so even in gusty wet weather you don't get rain driven through as mist and the inside surface stays dry. We were at the Norwich show and the weather was windy during the Saturday night, we kept our awning out but Lillypad took theirs down.

OP
OP
John Rowe

John Rowe

Free Member
Jul 25, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Exp
1 day
I think I'm closer to the answer. Wind blocker is taking my fancy for ease & weight. Now to decide between lillypad or parrotsol. Anyone got any thoughts. Thanking everyone for their advise so far.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've never even heard of Parrotsol, so can't comment on them. And even tho I've commented that Lillipad seems expensive, it's a great product, they take care with what they do, and, let's face it, on the face of it, what's the point in worrying about the cost. It works very well, and on the scale of things from tens of thousands of pounds of motorhome to a few pounds of awning to greatly enhance your motorhoming experience - it's a bargain!!

When they were cutting mine (previous van), they phoned me to confirm the measurements I'd given them, before they cut. That's service!

I have no connection to them, by the way.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I think I'm closer to the answer. Wind blocker is taking my fancy for ease & weight. Now to decide between lillypad or parrotsol. Anyone got any thoughts. Thanking everyone for their advise so far.

If you want to take a look at ours we will be at the Malvern show. We designed our panels for our own use but at the first rally we went to people wanted them so we went into business selling them. We love the fact that they are clear enough to let lots of light through yet diffuse the brightness of the sun, we love that they are fully waterproof to the extent that they can be taken down and stored wet. Why does it always rain 5 minutes before you take your awning down :madder:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apart from the materials used being different there are a few distinct differences between the Parasol and Lillypad screens:

Parasol screens are made of a type of plastic 'sheeting' material (not sure of the technical term) which is tough and durable, they let light in, stop most of the wind and rain (can't prevent some getting in as they don't 'seal' totally) and also give a lot of privacy but the downside is that they are bulkier and you cannot see out through them at all so if you like to sit out and watch the world go by they may not be for you.

Lillypad screens are made of a type of fine net material (polyester/nylon?) that can be seen through more easily and reduce the wind a bit so you can sit out in a bit of a breeze but not if it is quite windy as it will still come through as will some rain, although you can now get them with cover material to reduce this but they will never ever be as 'solid' as a Parasol one.

To give a fuller comparison, there are of course safari rooms which are a totally different beast, much more solid and can be fully sealed to the outside to prevent any wind/water getting in but they are heavier, bulkier to store, and much more expensive.

I would suggest you decide what you intend to use them for and buy accordingly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I actually made my own windblockers many years ago ...

wind screens 1 - Copy.jpg

Fortunately I had some spare material so when we changed vans I could extend it as the awning was bigger ... gotta do it again as the one on the new PVC is even longer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back