New Gas Cooker help needed (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hello all,

I've bought a new gas cooker and I'm quite confused about the whole issue of gas pressures and how well the new cooker will perform.

We have an RV and I have it on good authority that the inbuilt LPG gas tank and regulator are set at 27.5 millibar.

Now the new cooker states in the manual:

Gas Category CAT I3+ (28-30/37)
BUTANE (G30) 28-30 mbar
PROPANE (G31) 37 mbar

CAT I3 B/P (30)
BUTANE (G30) 30 mbar
PROPANE (G31) 30 mbar

So where I'm confused is, as LPG autogas is a butane/propane mix (95% propane I believe) how can it say propane 37 mbar AND propane 30 mbar? How can the cooker be BOTH categories or am I understanding it wrong?

And what do the two gas categories mean?

Your help would help, if you know what I mean...

TIA

Bryan

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Cant personally help,

Johns cross motorhomes might be able to advise you,

alternatively

I found these websites and they seem knowledgeable might be worth phoning for some advice?

Link Removed
try this phone number 01386 555 333

there is also this one
LPG Gas Cookers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Bryan

we have a SMEV and it runs fine from the RV LPG tank but I have noticed a difference depending on the LPG as it varies in mixture depending on country and season so I wouldn't worry ..

I believe it is around 80% Butane/20% Propane in the UK .. try Googling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
In a nutshell, you can safely run a British/Euopean oven from an American RV gas system, but you shouldn't really run an American oven from a Britsh/European system............not that you'd flippin' want to!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

I had the usually Magic Chef nightmare and wanted to change to a Stoves 500 DIT. Because I was sensible about it, I spoke at great length with the Stoves technical department quoting RV gas supply pressures. They reassured me that what I wanted to do was quite safe, the only caveat being that due to the slightly lower pressure of RV systems, I might find that the oven in the Stoves unit might not get as hot as it should. Fair one, so I went for it. Best thing I ever did and concerns re heat proved unfounded. The unit perfomed wonderfully well and as well as daily food for us as Fulltimers, it also beautifully cooked at least 5 Christmas Turkeys...........tho not all at once!:ROFLMAO:
Go for it, I promise you, you wont be sorry.:thumb:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for the replies, guys :thumb:

Jim, I think uk LPG autogas is at least 95% propane and possibly 100% propane. According to google results.

Duncan (the 'star' in 'Star Spangled Spanner') told me that the 27.5 mbar coming from my tank into a NEW spec oven should be okay as the new standard for ovens is 30 mbar and the difference is pressure is near enough.

My new oven does (as stated above) mention 30 mbar but it also mentions 37 mbar so I cannot understand how it is 'set' for 30 mbar and 37 mbar at the same time...

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Bryan

I will have a word with my LPG Gas contacts tomorrow and get back to you hopefully tomorrow.

Pammy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, I think uk LPG autogas is at least 95% propane and possibly 100% propane. According to google results.

Hi Bryan .. I tried a few Googles but keep getting different answers, some as you say others different, don't think there is a definitive answer .. except to say that it varies :Doh:

Caltex Autogas is available as a mixture of Propane and Butane in a proportion of 30% Propane to 70% Butane. LPG is a good substitute for petrol in spark ignition engines. Its clean burning properties, in a properly tuned engine, give reduced exhaust emissions, extended lubricant and spark plug life.

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
"The best thing about standards is there are so many to choose from"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun