LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry if a daft question, but I am a solo traveller and very seldom use my cooker ... only for the kettle for coffee and tea really. The fridge is also gas and I am going through a cyclinder (6kg) about every ten days....

What is the routine for checking for a gas leak please? (Simple words)

Thank you.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Soapy water on joints in the pipework and look for bubbles, you can also but gad leak detector spray in cans, can you smell gas anywhere? Although I don't think using that amount of gas given your using it to boil a kettle and your fridge is on permanently is that bad.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
How do you heat your water Joy?
If it is with gas 6kg every 10 days is not too bad depending on fridge size. As iandsm said soapy water in an atomiser bottle, spray the joints and look for bubbles.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi joy, does seem to be excessive usage for what you are running.. suppose it depends on how much you are boiling the kettle lol.. if that's all you are using gas for
if you could get a bottle of leak detector spray and get someone to check the system with that from cylinder connections right through to the appliances.. if you cant get the spray soapy water would do
ta andy...
ps hope you get it sorted, and all is good

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Joy

I also suspect water heating could well be your big user and it has been cold lately have you only been using electric heating?

I also think, like already said you would probably smell a leak, gas has an awful pong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Hob cooking with gas, fridge on gas when stopped (12v otherwise) and water heated at night means 0.5 kilos of gas used a day. This has proved consistent over many years and motorhomes.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
How do you heat your water Joy?
If it is with gas 6kg every 10 days is not too bad depending on fridge size. As iandsm said soapy water in an atomiser bottle, spray the joints and look for bubbles.
Not needed heating on and not heated the water even as camped down south near daughter and using her house for a shower and washing clothes... Just fridge and water for kettle when I am in the van ... about four kettles a day that is. Looks like I just misjudged my expenses on the motor home then :(

Thanks all... and I will do the soapy test that you all say ... xx

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not needed heating on and not heated the water even as camped down south near daughter and using her house for a shower and washing clothes... Just fridge and water for kettle when I am in the van ... about four kettles a day that is. Looks like I just misjudged my expenses on the motor home then :(

Joy as said above if it's just fridge and 4 kettles water a day I'd say you are loosing gas .. can't see the fridge using more than 250gm a day..so I doubt the kettle 4 times or so a day could account for the 3.5kg gas ..get someone to check it...
Ta andy

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
on our van we found the fridge is the biggest gas chomper! turn water heater off when not in use.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We. Used a 6 kg cly. Cooker used occasionally , hot water on all the time ( better than switching on/off constantly) fridge, large with freezer.
Put on brand new when we left and is still going strong after 15 days

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
on our van we found the fridge is the biggest gas chomper! turn water heater off when not in use.
agree with this. We just accidentally left ours on gas instead of automatic and for the first time got through 13kg bottle in 2 weeks - no heating, and occasional water as used campsites mainly. this is more than we got through skiing!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)

In that case Joy I think you may have a problem :( as it does seem a bit excessive. Best get it checked out if you can although, as others have said, I'm sure you would smell it if there was a leak.
Let us know how you get on.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Excessive gas use is almost never a leak, a leak using that much gas would be very smelly, unless outside and blown away by the wind. I think it's the fridge, what is the thermostat set to?
We got through a camping gaz cylinder in a weekend with water fridge and cooker ( heating is oil)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'd say that your gas consumption is about right....

We use 0.4 to 0.8 kg's a day including gas hob and hot water once a week (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We usually use 1 litre of gas a day (approx half a kg) when on holiday just cooking at tea-time, boiling kettle for a few cuppas and having the fridge on for part of the day, if you have your fridge on gas all the time then I think you might NOT actually have a problem however if you want to be sure get it checked out.

Oh... forgot to say ... you do have to CLOSE the fridge door ... you can't leave it open to cool the van!:D

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We usually use 1 litre of gas a day (approx half a kg) when on holiday just cooking at tea-time, boiling kettle for a few cuppas and having the fridge on for part of the day, if you have your fridge on gas all the time then I think you might NOT actually have a problem however if you want to be sure get it checked out.

Oh... forgot to say ... you do have to CLOSE the fridge door ... you can't leave it open to cool the van!:D

Darn it.... that's what I'm doing wrong!!!! But it's the only way to save leccy as it lights up too.. :(

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Btw forgot to say that while away did one VW rally "Camper Jam" and two MHF rallies, Cheshire steam rally and the one at Hartlepool, no electric on any of them !! solar and 3 large batteries.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Btw forgot to say that while away did one VW rally "Camper Jam" and two MHF rallies, Cheshire steam rally and the one at Hartlepool, no electric on any of them !! solar and 3 large batteries.
Hi tjay ... I always tell new motorhomers that I meet that a solar panel is the best investment I ever made. I go for months without ever needing a hookup ... in fact only had it once in eighteen months from memory and then didn't need it .. it was just there anyway.

Maybe putting the fridge on 12v would be an answer if my fridge had that facility :(

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
E="irnbru, post: 1500149, member: 26684"]If its your kettle boiling then buy a thermos pump flask. It stays hot for hours. :) That way the kettle is always ready and saves you boiling again.[/QUOTE]

Got there before me :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would still get the system checked in case something is burning more gas than it should. I agree with others that you should be able to smell any significant leak. We burn about one 11 kg cylinder in 4-5 weeks in summer, using it for water heating, cooking and fridge (very rarely use a hookup) so I would say your consumption is a bit on the high side.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Joy Movan. A motorhome supplier will be able to do a test, and tell you if you have a leak. They connect a pump to the system and pressurise it, then wait and see if the pressure drops. The soapy water test will show up a leak if it in a visible place, but I had a leak under my oven on the last van and no way would I have found that !! Also you may NOT smell a leak, because most places on the van have safety vents in the floor and as the gas is heavier than air, it will drop out of the bottom of the van..
I wouldn't panic, but I would get it checked at your earliest convenient opportunity.
All the best.
Mitch.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If its your kettle boiling then buy a thermos pump flask. It stays hot for hours. :) That way the kettle is always ready and saves you boiling again.
Thanks my darlin', Never thought of that and definitely gonna do that. Every penny counts at the moment sadly. Brill idea.

Anyone else any saving ideas I would appreciate.. Thank you.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
If its your kettle boiling then buy a thermos pump flask. It stays hot for hours. :) That way the kettle is always ready and saves you boiling again.

We do this, even though on HU, great to not waste any hot water, and ready for drinks or washing up. We have a Thermos 1.7 flask and I'm amazed for how long it keeps the water really hot.

Hope you get it sorted soon Movan. :happy:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I bought mine from Lidl,Aldi also have them,as good as the ones used commercially (that are around £40,Thermos from Amazon about £20) and a good price,about a tenner.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We also do the thermos thing. Saving the bit left over after cups of tea/coffee during the the day soon mounts up to enough to wash up or a quick re-boil for anoth cuppa.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
12v fridge only works when the engine is running Joy, also do you buy Calor gas?? check outBroken Link Removed website, as you can see quite a bit cheaper than Calor and I get them delivered for no extra cost but times can be erratic to say the least and might not work for you but worth a try(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back