Auto-trail are they a good buy ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Hi,

Thinking of changing my 2006 Bessacarr E520 for a 2005 Scout SE. Not very happy with the service from Swift so not keen on giving them more of my hard-earned. Are Auto-Trail any better ? . Impressed with the build and layout of the Scout, but have no experience of the brand.

Thanks, stay happy always

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
Thinking of changing my 2006 Bessacarr E520 for a 2005 Scout SE. Not very happy with the service from Swift so not keen on giving them more of my hard-earned. Are Auto-Trail any better ? . Impressed with the build and layout of the Scout, but have no experience of the brand.
Thanks, stay happy always

Hi,

Nothing wrong with Swifts after sales service, they might drop a boo boo but they are very quick to try and sort any problems out.

You wont find ANY other converter on these forums willing to stick their head above the parapet and take any flack thats going.

Maybe your dealer was lacking in after sales.

Our committment to after sales is FIVE YEARS FREE habitation services on any new or preowned MH

Peter

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I've had a 2006 Scout SE for 14 months, apart from a rust spot on the front left welded joint by the cab window I have had no problems just many happy trips away. I had the habitation service carried out by White arches last month, they reported all well, no damp or problems. Its going to have its three year service and first MOT next month at Redvers of Swindon, (Christmas auction of favours).

IF I had a problem it was thr Auto Trail dealer, Manhattan of Sandy, he went bust?closed down four months after I had bought it but I'm pleased that White Arches are happy to assist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have owned a couple and found the build quality of Auto Trails to be very good.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My Autotrail 696 is my first motorhome so I have no others to compare it too. But for the price I think some of the design and interior finnish could be better.

1. Rain water streams off the roof directly down the drivers door. Open the door and you get water inside the cab.

2. How do you get away with putting a 230v plug socket directley behind sink taps. Only one fitted in the motorhome , not counting the one in the telecupboard.

3. Glass cover from the cooker will not go all the way back, catches on the overhead cupboard.

4. Top catch behind the toilet door about 1 inch too high for the bar to reach it .

5. Is it normal to have your Tele-cupboard above a cooker ?

Small details but a Motorhome costing 45000 new ( I bought it 2 years old) should have a better quality control system at the point of manufacture.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My Autotrail 696 is my first motorhome so I have no others to compare it too. But for the price I think some of the design and interior finnish could be better.

1. Rain water streams off the roof directly down the drivers door. Open the door and you get water inside the cab.

2. How do you get away with putting a 230v plug socket directley behind sink taps. Only one fitted in the motorhome , not counting the one in the telecupboard.

3. Glass cover from the cooker will not go all the way back, catches on the overhead cupboard.

4. Top catch behind the toilet door about 1 inch too high for the bar to reach it .

5. Is it normal to have your Tele-cupboard above a cooker ?

Small details but a Motorhome costing 45000 new ( I bought it 2 years old) should have a better quality control system at the point of manufacture.

I agree about quality control ... seems to be a common grievance with buyers irrespective of constructor ..

Re your points

1. Common on many MHs, the design of the luton makes it nigh impossible to prevent, I get that in my RV even with a gutter, just can't cope with a deluge from the roof.. it's a cold shock first thing in the morning.. :roflmto:

2. Provided the socket is protected with an RCD it's not an issue.. and how many vans have enough work top space to have the socket 2mt from the sink.. ?

3. Not acceptable, should have been remedied at PDI

4. Same as 3

5. TV cupboards can only be fitted where there is space .. I agree it's not always in the most user friendly viewing position, but often available space dictates.. If there is a better place it may be worth while modifying.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I had an 2005 Swift caravan and now have a 2005 Autotrail Apache. I don't think there is anything to choose between the two. I have had loose bits of trim on the Autotrail and crap locker hinges on the Swift. The base vechicle is the same so at the end of the day it is down to personal choice.

Andy

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I brought a 2001 Swift Challenger 480 SE, in 2002, fortunately my local Swift dealer was brilliant. I brought a 2008 Autotrail Cheynne 660 last year the dealer was hopeless/useless, and we hated it, however, another Autotrail dealer Discovery sorted out all the problems in short time, now we love it.

If you are going to buy a Swift or an Autotrail research and only buy from a reputable dealer who can offer good aftercare outerwise it will end in tears:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Obviously there will be horror stories in any make like the one I will tell you now. My opinion was always that autotrail was a model to aspire too.

A friend of ours living close to us purchased an Autotrail brand new, very early last year (possibly back end of 07) from a well known dealer. He opted for the expensive cab kit that includes the TV. He then had numerous problems wiht the van ( hab electrics) and the van then cutting out. He returned it to the dealer whom allegedly fixed it and then gave it back, only for the same thing to happen again and again. Sadly last year the dealer in Cannock dissapeared and he had to then travel to the mother dealer in Newark :winky:. This is a 250 mile round trip. The Van continued having the problem and off he would go, they would fix it, he would turn up to collect, drive away and some few days later same problem.

Then he attempted to open his bathroom door and it would not open as the floor had suffered some delamintion. once again he set off on his journey for the alleged repair, once again it was unsatisfactory. He therefore contacted Autotrail him self whom were very concerned about the problem. They took the van away and some 2 months later returned the van to him fully repaired and fully pxxed off about the plight he had been through. The van now appears fine and he is more than happy again.

So in short, he thinks there a good van but his only wish is that he would of chosen to buy from spinneys whom are 10 miles away and an autotrail dealer, as opposed to one at show from a national dealer whom ended up costing literally £1000 + in fuel and wasted time due to them moving.
However any company that went to the length that Autotrail did in resolving a problem outside of a dealership, despite the dealership claiming monies for warranty work no doubt gets my vote.
Sometimes you have too look at how companies react to resolve a problem as opposed to how many problems arise.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
However any company that went to the length that Autotrail did in resolving a problem outside of a dealership, despite the dealership claiming monies for warranty work no doubt gets my vote.
Sometimes you have too look at how companies react to resolve a problem as opposed to how many problems arise.

You have hit the nail squarely on the head there!:thumb:

Peter

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We have been very fortunate with our Autotrails and we are on our fourth. Yes there are always problems but it is how the dealer responds that is key.

Also if you look at the Auto Trail web site they have a new after sales service centre at the factory for us auto trailers so that has got to be a good thing and also help online.

On the whole I feel Auto-Trail motorhomes to be of good quality, better than some makes. However some of their PDI leaves a bit to be desired.

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi We have an Autotrail Cheiftain G this is our first motohome. We went for Autorail as we found the build quality very good. I would reiterate that you need to go to a reputable dealer. We used Hampshire and Dorset Motorcaravans near Christchurch. I can highly recommend them. The whole team from Ken the owner through all the sales and after sales side excellent
No quibble about the split we found in our shower wall after 4 months of use, all done straight away under warranty. We would defintely buy another one when or if we decide to change. Lin

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Obviously there will be horror stories in any make like the one I will tell you now. My opinion was always that autotrail was a model to aspire too.

A friend of ours living close to us purchased an Autotrail brand new, very early last year (possibly back end of 07) from a well known dealer. He opted for the expensive cab kit that includes the TV. He then had numerous problems wiht the van ( hab electrics) and the van then cutting out. He returned it to the dealer whom allegedly fixed it and then gave it back, only for the same thing to happen again and again. Sadly last year the dealer in Cannock dissapeared and he had to then travel to the mother dealer in Newark :winky:. This is a 250 mile round trip. The Van continued having the problem and off he would go, they would fix it, he would turn up to collect, drive away and some few days later same problem.

Then he attempted to open his bathroom door and it would not open as the floor had suffered some delamintion. once again he set off on his journey for the alleged repair, once again it was unsatisfactory. He therefore contacted Autotrail him self whom were very concerned about the problem. They took the van away and some 2 months later returned the van to him fully repaired and fully pxxed off about the plight he had been through. The van now appears fine and he is more than happy again.

So in short, he thinks there a good van but his only wish is that he would of chosen to buy from spinneys whom are 10 miles away and an autotrail dealer, as opposed to one at show from a national dealer whom ended up costing literally £1000 + in fuel and wasted time due to them moving.

WHAT DOES THE BROWNHILL'S SNITCH HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT ?? He has been silent now for some time....The truth obviously hurts.. Incidentally my dear snitch. My roof repaired by you three times now is now leaking again !!!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
They are OK..!!!

Despite the above rant I am fulltiming in a Scout so it can't be all that bad..Just the occasional niggle, but really comfortable..it's the rear lounge that makes it ..:thumb: :thumb:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
As you can see we have a Chieftain. I've had some niggles, but then again not too many. The dealership is in Taunton, I live in Worcestershire. Hence, most of the problems I put right myself. It's sometimes not worth the hassle of travelling. Obviously if I had had a serious problem I would have sent it back pretty smartish.

The only time I felt let down by the dealer was when I split the drivers side constant velocity gaiter, whilst in devon (don't drive over Caravan Club marker stakes!!!!). I had to pass their door on the way home, so dropped in, after being kept there most of the day waiting on a promise, they announced they couldn't do the job after all. Priced it at over £240. Suggested I brought it back later that week.
I called at a local garage in malvern, (RSM, very good at MOT's and general repairs) who charged me about £65 all in.
My main contention is the weatherproofing of the Thetford side-locker doors. These seem to be very flakey, and need constant attention to stop water ingress. (anyone got a fix?)
Also the vinyl decals have faded, which I think could be quite a big job to replace.
There are a few patches where the paint is starting to flake off the aluminium sidings, I dont know if this is corrosion or mechanical abrasion (ie leaning sun-loungers against the side of the van)
Did I say I didn't have many problems? Oh well.......:ROFLMAO:
ATB
DaveT

C

cherryann

Deleted User
autotrail

I have the Mohican excellent design well built very reliable its now 4 years old and we are looking for our next Auto-trail I wouldn't have any other. My daughter has the Bessacarr but I wouldn't swap mine for it. The scout is an excellent choice.
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back