maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
road blocked out of Spain and Germany. blockade over cheap food imports .tractors rule ok!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you noticed what smart, newish and no doubt very expensive tractors they've got? ;)
That is a problem with this sort of protest, but on the other hand have you thought they have had to shell out for these very expensive tractors they have got to try and compete on a larger and larger scale with highly subsidised imports, what else can they do , buy some old fergie 20s to protest on!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We're currently traveling around Europe.

Apart from the obvious benefits of the strong pound, I cannot believe how cheap food is here.

High quality beef at 10-12euros a kilo, 2ltr milk for a euro.... Fruit from the markets at give away prices..
Great for the consumer but feel for the farmers who must be getting squeezed....

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
The French farmers need to drag themselves into the real world.

They are the main reason for the CAP, designed to protect small inefficient Farms, of which France has many.

Most of the other EU countries have moved on, but the French are stuck in a time warp of their own making.

:cooler:

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
we are we get 10c a kilo for oranges . rip off supper markets:confused:
Ten kilos of oranges for a Euro !
Hope it works out for you, that's a hard market to exist in..

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
But Funsters LOVE going to France, time warp or not.

I don't think the "real world" is all it's cracked up to be...

JJ :cool:

This is about inefficient Farmers, paid for out of our taxes. I have nothing against the rest of rural France.(y)

If the Spanish can do it then so can the French, what makes them a special case?.:mad:

Spain still maintains it's rural traditions, without everyone else having to subsidise all their Farmers.:)

It's time the CAP was scrapped.(y)

I have always believed that France is totally wasted on the French.:whistle:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
the French it seems do not want politicians deciding things for them or seem unable to convey their needs to said representatives. A somewhat rebellious nature, hee hee good luck to them.
One might say almost revolutionary?

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
It's time the CAP was scrapped.(y)
has anyone seen the tractors they use in the orange groves in spain they are pre-war not sure witch one! maybe know-one has told them where to get the money:cautious:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is the age old argument and can never be explained to someone who isn't a farmer, anyone who hasn't farmed has any concept of working 24 hours a day to produce something that the government or supermarkets can change the goalposts at a minutes notice and say this is what you get , take it or leave it , what else can you do but take it when your produce will be bad tomorrow and worth nothing, here now milk is about half the price of water in the shops, how can it go on?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Last week we drove for an hour or so to take visitors to Lascaux Caves. Got there and parked up. Walked to the ticket office to discover that the caves were closed for the day as farmers were blocking the road to them in protest at the price of milk.
Words actually failed me for once.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last week we drove for an hour or so to take visitors to Lascaux Caves. Got there and parked up. Walked to the ticket office to discover that the caves were closed for the day as farmers were blocking the road to them in protest at the price of milk.
Words actually failed me for once.
You lost an hour and didn't get what you wanted , these farmers have lost a year and haven't got what they wanted!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
This is the age old argument and can never be explained to someone who isn't a farmer, anyone who hasn't farmed has any concept of working 24 hours a day to produce something that the government or supermarkets can change the goalposts at a minutes notice and say this is what you get , take it or leave it , what else can you do but take it when your produce will be bad tomorrow and worth nothing, here now milk is about half the price of water in the shops, how can it go on?

Food production in the UK and many other countries, is largely in the hands of major farming companies who bring super efficiency into the market place.

Hence the relatively low cost of food in our shops.

Small farms cannot compete with them, but they can diversify which many have done and they make a very good living out of it.

If the price of milk falls below that which small dairy herds can sustain themselves, then major players move in to streamline the system and the huge dairy units take over.

Farming is a business not a hobby.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Food production in the UK and many other countries, is largely in the hands of major farming companies who bring super efficiency into the market place.

Hence the relatively low cost of food in our shops.

Small farms cannot compete with them, but they can diversify which many have done and they make a very good living out of it.

If the price of milk falls below that which small dairy herds can sustain themselves, then major players move in to streamline the system and the huge dairy units take over.

Farming is a business not a hobby.

As I said just can't argue with someone who's not a farmer:(

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
has anyone seen the tractors they use in the orange groves in spain they are pre-war not sure witch one! maybe know-one has told them where to get the money:cautious:

Citrus growing in Spain, has been on the edge of subsistence farming for years, there are many co-operatives that make money, but mainly from juicing.

There are also many Farmers especially along places like the Orba Valley who have sold land, useless for farming but good for building Villas on, to the property people, for shed loads of money.

They now Farm their groves for something to do, hence the little old tractors just for pottering about.

Many never need to work again.

Next time you are traveling down the A7 just look at all the Villas perched on the sides of the mountains, that land used to belong to the poor Farmers, who thanks to the incomers wanting views of the sea, are now wealthy people.

OP
OP
maxine and jo

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
Hi i made the post as a little info for the travellers who have spent hours already trying to get in to France to let them know the poor souls :) they can' t get out (y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
As I said just can't argue with someone who's not a farmer:(

But from a strong farming family, going way back. I used to walk the land, with my Grandfather and my Uncle in all weathers early in the morning.

My Uncle, the last major land owner/farmer in the immediate family, saw the light and sold his land when land prices were high, due to the need of Farming Companies for more land.

He worked out years ago that his 400 acre arable farm was on the edge of subsistance farming, so got out at the high end of the land market.

Another friend of mine farmed 250 acres of arable land just about scraping a living, year in year out, watching cereal prices fall.

For geographical reasons his land was very valuable to the two farming Companies surrounding him, he got both to agree to keep his last remaining farm worker on until he retired and to allow him to live in the farm cottage as long as he wanted to.

The bidding war then started and he retired a millionaire.

Say what you will, farming is a business just like any other, keep up or go under.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I really admire the French for their stance on the way of life they believe it should be, its a shame we cant do the same over here, government in the UK make whatever decisions they want and we all just go along with it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok , you have a widget making company you have buyers that are going to give you £10 a widget ok so you set about making them at the end of the year the buyer says he's only going to give you a fiver, doesn't cover your costs, but you have a shed load of widgets, so you get together with other widget makers and hold all stock back till they pay the proper price, ok.
Now try that with milk or perishable veg , no way can you hold out because it won't keep till tomorrow , you have already paid out for the corn and labour on the understanding you were getting a set price , nothing to do with scale of production, you were producing the goods under the impression you would be getting enough to make a bit out of it but then the rug is pulled out.
What do you do then?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Hence the need for Farming Companies that can follow market trends and multicrop. Small Farmers can't compete, so wont survive, but isn't that true of all businesses?

We live in a capitalist economy. Those that survive, provide what the market wants at the price it's prepared to pay.

Farmers are not a special case, and, neither were the Miners or the Car Makers, etc. etc. etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back