Should I fit a refillable gas system? (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2015
Prone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have just bought a Chausson 510 which only has room for one gas cylinder. We currently have the Calor 6kg cylinder from our previous van but, if that runs out we won't be carrying a second one as we used to do. There might be enough height to use a larger cylinder.

The space heating is diesel.

We are considering switching to one of the LPG systems such as Gaslow or GasIt. I am persuaded of the economic reasons for doing this and the advantage of having an LPG refillable system when we go abroad.

I'd like to know from those who have have fitted an LPG system whether this type of gas has any issues when it powers a fridge, a cooker or a gas water heater. I've been told that LPG does not burn as cleanly as Calor propane and the manual for my Thetford fridge recommends fitting some sort of filter if LPG is used.

I'd welcome any thoughts from those with experience of using LPG.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a single refillable Gaslow 11kg bottle since 2009, we got it originally as we went abroad and didn't want the worry of running out of gas, however we then got a Chausson Flash 04 with the same problem as you so it was a good thing we had a refillable! When we changed to an Autocruise PVC I managed to persuade the 11kg bottle into the gas locker even though it was only supposed to take 2 x 6kg ones. We've put a LOT of gas through it in that time and have never ever had a problem with any appliances, pipes, regulators etc so although some do suffer we never have - possibly because from the start we bought the stainless steel pipes rather than rubber ones, although you can now get the automotive style rubber ones which are better and have a 10 year life so if they'd been around at the time we'd probably have gone for them as obviously they are cheaper.

We've just picked up a 'very cheap' 6kg Gaslow no 2 cylinder (it has an extra connection point which is needed when adding it to an existing bottle - a no 1 only has 2 connection points) and as our new PVC has a bigger gas locker I have fitted this along with the 11kg one to increase our gas capacity - not that we ever ran out but it means we don't have to think about refilling so often especially since we are now going to countries where LPG isn't quite so readily available.

To get back to you - my advice would be to go for a Gasit 11kg bottle kit otherwise you will constantly be worrying about running out and not being able to get gas! The only other option is a fitted gas tank but the cost for this will be at least 3 times the cost of a single bottle and won't give you that much more gas capacity.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have just sold our MH and had the Autogas system in it, they're normally advertised on this page. We thought it was great and well worth the money, which you will get back after about 10 fills I think.

The last time we filled up our 11KG bottle was virtually empty and it cost us £14 to fill, this would probably be about £40 for two 6kg bottles
If you forget the money side of things the convienance alone is worth it, we managed to fill up in Norway and Sweden with no issues.
We have just ordered new van and this will be one of the first things we fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have just sold our MH and had the Autogas system in it, they're normally advertised on this page. We thought it was great and well worth the money, which you will get back after about 10 fills I think.

The last time we filled up our 11KG bottle was virtually empty and it cost us £14 to fill, this would probably be about £40 for two 6kg bottles
If you forget the money side of things the convienance alone is worth it, we managed to fill up in Norway and Sweden with no issues.
We have just ordered new van and this will be one of the first things we fit.
I've got to ask ... why didn't you simply take out your Alugas bottles etc and then fit it in your new van? We've had our original bottle in a Rimor, Chausson, Autocruise and now a Globecar ... easy peasy to do!

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
Hi we have an aluminium gas refillable bottle frome allugas fantastic very light never had any issues at all would recommend to any one have saved loads on gas

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a flash10 fitted gasit 11kg. Its main advantage is you can top up rather than wait until it runs or nearly runs out. We recon we can last at least 3 weeks off grid for hot water and cooking (diesel heating) and it works out 50p a dayish. We have an inline filter before the regulator for p[eace of mind as they were on specisl offer from gasit at the time.

David

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I think there is a slight risk of oily residue in LPG, but I guess this would tend to fall to the bottom of a bottle as the draw is off the top, or in some cases breaking down of poor quality hoses. You can get Truma filters, 2 of which I've fitted before the regulator as belt n braces!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Are you sure you can't get 2 x 6kg bottles in your locker? Seems a bit small for a modern van.

If you can, you could fit 2 of the smaller refillable bottles (we used Gaslow). Then if (when?) one runs out you've got a backup until you can get refills. Helpful when you visit countries where LPG (which is usually propane although sometimes mixed with butane) is not so easily available.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
We fitted a gaslow system in 2007 and it is now in the 3rd motorhome filled up in uk and spain, never had a problem with any of our gas appliances.
It was not fitted for cost but for convenience as I was having trouble lifting 13k cylinders.

OP
OP
H
Apr 14, 2015
Prone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Are you sure you can't get 2 x 6kg bottles in your locker? Seems a bit small for a modern van.

If you can, you could fit 2 of the smaller refillable bottles (we used Gaslow). Then if (when?) one runs out you've got a backup until you can get refills. Helpful when you visit countries where LPG (which is usually propane although sometimes mixed with butane) is not so easily available.
It's that way because the space heating is diesel. I can get one and a half 6kg bottles in there :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've got to ask ... why didn't you simply take out your Alugas bottles etc and then fit it in your new van? We've had our original bottle in a Rimor, Chausson, Autocruise and now a Globecar ... easy peasy to do!
Yes I know it would have been easy todo but I thought for the price of it which I'd probably got back in savings it was a good selling point. I have just ordered a new Globecar and thinking of putting a tank underneath as we plan to keep this for a good few years. What model do you have.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes I know it would have been easy todo but I thought for the price of it which I'd probably got back in savings it was a good selling point. I have just ordered a new Globecar and thinking of putting a tank underneath as we plan to keep this for a good few years. What model do you have.
Globecar Familyscout L - brilliant - it's got an 'L' shaped lounge up front instead of the half dinette and still has the transverse bed at the back - its 6.36m long and that extra 36cm certainly makes a heck of a difference.

As you're getting a Globecar make sure the dealer fits a bulkhead regulator for you as they don't come with them as standard. I only found out when I came to fit my Gaslow system and had to wait for the dealer to send me a BH reg!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Globecar Familyscout L - brilliant - it's got an 'L' shaped lounge up front instead of the half dinette and still has the transverse bed at the back - its 6.36m long and that extra 36cm certainly makes a heck of a difference.

As you're getting a Globecar make sure the dealer fits a bulkhead regulator for you as they don't come with them as standard. I only found out when I came to fit my Gaslow system and had to wait for the dealer to send me a BH reg!
It was the Familyscout that we first intended on getting, but have went for the Roadcruiser in a Possl which I think is the Campscout in the Globecar, we have went for the extra bed at the front so our daughter can still come along if she wants and it has two singles at back or one large double depending on our mood.
We are getting the van direct from Germany so will make sure they fit a reg for us, I have just signed the order tonight and will be faxing it back to them in the morning so just have to wait until December to pick it up. We could have went for LHD and got it next week but we have added a few bits and bobs direct from factory like winterising, Sog, bike rack, awning , elegance interior and some other small extras.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just another thing I've thought of! Make sure that they fit the standard drop-down locker in the centre of the cab rather than the stupid cup-holder thing - some put this in as standard and it is a pain in the bum apparently as it sticks out and you lose the storage.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It was the Familyscout that we first intended on getting, but have went for the Roadcruiser in a Possl which I think is the Campscout in the Globecar, we have went for the extra bed at the front so our daughter can still come along if she wants and it has two singles at back or one large double depending on our mood.
We are getting the van direct from Germany so will make sure they fit a reg for us, I have just signed the order tonight and will be faxing it back to them in the morning so just have to wait until December to pick it up. We could have went for LHD and got it next week but we have added a few bits and bobs direct from factory like winterising, Sog, bike rack, awning , elegance interior and some other small extras.
The Possl version of ours is the 4family-l:

Broken Link Removed

We did consider briefly having the twin single bed layout but decided that the larger lounge would be much better for our needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back