Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi,would some of our funsters tell me the best sealant to use on the x250 scuttle to w/screen.I have just returned from our 10 week summer break and had 3rd throttle control valve failure in 11 months.I sealed the screen about 10 months ago only to find that it hadent sealed properly.Any help gratefully received.
JonM.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would not attempt to do it myself as there may be drain points that must not be sealed. I had my A-class screen resealed recently to prevent water entering the engine bay (it had lasted 11 years but some water was getting under the rubber at the top and running down the sides). It was done by Autoglas for a bit under £100. They used a proprietary sealant all round and it took over one hour.

No Bull

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1997
Exp
For two years
Actually I have already told you this somewhere else. The best sealants are yacht sealants such as Sikaflex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is it a 3.0 litre engine with a Whaler throttle body?

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Is it a 3.0 litre engine with a Whaler throttle body?
Hi, Andy it is a 3.0 ltr I dont know if it is a whaler or not it,s a 2008. I know it is modified part from the original with a modified wiring loom. Grays of Warwick fitted the latest valve, they also gave me part numbers for an engine cover and bracket. I have followed your posts on this subject for some time now and have found it very helpful. As my last attempt didn't work, I now have to re-seal the windscreen and at present am checking out sealers as opposed to an adhesive - any ideas on sealer?
Thanks for your post, JohnM

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would use a glazing silicon sealant. Any adhesive would just lead to unavoidable damage and expense if a new windscreen was ever required.
The engine cover modification was a factory recall, mine is also 2008 and it was done before I bought it.
The later throttle is a Pierburg unit and it sounds like that is what you have fitted.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
I would use a glazing silicon sealant. Any adhesive would just lead to unavoidable damage and expense if a new windscreen was ever required.
The engine cover modification was a factory recall, mine is also 2008 and it was done before I bought it.
The later throttle is a Pierburg unit and it sounds like that is what you have fitted.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Thanks again for your info. Very interesting - when we enquired last year with Fiat Camper Assist, female was most adamant that there was no engine cover available for this model, yet this year Grays of Warwick (Fiat Agent) were able to give us the part numbers for both cover and bracket, but also recommended that windscreen/scuttle be re-sealed as last attempt did not work. Will look for sealant from some of the windscreen companies. Thanks again, JohnM

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Use a low modulus silicone. Clean off whatever is there already, u may even need to remove the plastic scuttle tray to clean it all up. Use masking tape if u‘r not confident with a mystic gun.
Should last for a few years and if u still have it then it will be easier next time.

No Bull

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1997
Exp
For two years
In retrospect I agree with the silicone idea (but must the highest quality). Sikaflex is tough stuff to remove, but not impossible, have removed fittings on my boat with a bit of a struggle. But with a plastic scuttle it might break. I agree with berni109 use a good quality clear silicone.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
To do it "right" use proper black coloured glazing mastic as used in car body repair shops etc. Best to remove the plastic scuttle trays and clean off failed attempts plus the overlap. then apply sealant and reassemble.

whilst you have it apart, then it gives you an ideal opportunity to drill new drain holes in the scuttle and fit drain pipes down the bulkhead firewall

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back