Difficulty buying Ducato headlights (1 Viewer)

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Finally got our new LHD Ducato based Adria 670 into the UK, where it now resides in a barn until I can get it homologised and registered in the UK, before taking it back to France.

Buying UK headlights in order to satisfy the VCA from Fiat is proving to be problematic. In order to get the appropriate spares the Dealer asked for the VIN. Being German, it throws up a LHD set of headlights, and it appears that, even once over that hurdle, there is uncertainty about the correct part numbers – I have been quoted two different pairs at two (vastly) different prices.

The dealer really needs a late model vehicle to get a UK VIN off it, but my local, and slightly further afield, one didn’t have any around that they could go and refer to.

To be certain, what is need is a UK VIN or Registration Number.

Does anybody have a UK spec 2015 x-290 Ducato Motorhome that then can “lend” me the VINumber, and the reg in order for me to get a quote? This can be done via PM is this sort of info has any sensitivity surrounding it.

Better still, if you happen to know the correct part numbers, I shall be equally in your debt.

Thanks for reading thus far, I hope you can help.

Peter

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Hi Peter,

Lifted this from the Fiat Forum may help.

Phil.

Part numbers are as follows:

Sorry I don't know which is the left and which is the right headlamp!

Purchased from Tates in Portslade, East Sussex - tatescars.co.uk
Price £397.80 including VAT

These were the version without the LED Daytime Running Lights, instead they have the side light (conventional bulb) lit permanently. That's what my motorhome had fitted originally.

I'm pretty sure the wiring connector will be the same for both types (LED and bulb). I can't see Fiat making a different wiring loom for each type.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@chuns You've beaten me to it. I was going to post something very similar. We're importing a Hymer Tramp SL in two weeks' time and have just started to explore changing the headlights.

We've had a quote from a Fiat main dealer of £202 per light and total £510 fitted. The ones already fitted on the van have the LED Daytime Running Lights, and we'd like to keep to that when we change them, although he's quoted us for the conventional ones.

We also mentioned to the Fiat garage about the possibility of switching a rear fog light to the other side, but he wasn't used to motorhomes, so was a bit unsure about doing this. (We don't even know whether the van has two or one rear fog light, so we're waiting til we get it to really see what's what.)

If we can find the right parts, we'll probably look at getting a local auto electrician to come to the house and do the whole job, including fitting the overlay to the speedo -(We're not that very mechanically/technically minded and not confident about doing the work ourselves.)

@Boycie Thanks for that info. We'll contact Tates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Phil, that is so helpful, thank you.

Cheers

Peter

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Thanks, Bellabee, good luck.

Can you tell me the part number your dealer quoted, please?

Are you keeping your new RHD headlights, or replacing them once you have the vehicle registered?

I did my speedo yesterday, Lockwoods instructions a clear, though Fiat had changed a couple of things. A short and very helpful call to them and it was resolved. They are a good company to deal with.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Chuns. Haven't got the part number, but will phone them on Monday and ask. We're keeping the RHD headlights.
If the speedo's not too difficult, we may have a go ourselves.
Chris

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What you really need is to borrow a set for the exam and then return to the supplied ones once it is done that way you can have the correct ones for you trips abroad and use deflectors in the UK. It is cheaper and a way around the DVLA's way of keeping you from buying abroad, to supply the UK dealers with a captive audience. to pay the super inflated prices here in Treasure Island.
EEC open market rules should not stop anyone buying where they like. it is the bureaucratic mindset that demands jumping through hurdles.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is where I bought my replacement headlights... They were the cheapest I could find.

Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ignore my last post. just checked and they don't do the most recent model by the looks of things :(
£40 for a new headlight is dirt cheap I thought. Shame they don't do the new ones.

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
As an afterthought, despite Phil's definitive answer, can anyone help with a UK VIN or Reg? I'd love to be certain.

Thanks to all who have input so far.

Cheers

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@chuns Sorry, couldn't get the part numbers. Rang the garage and they said they hadn't got them they were 'locked away'!
My husband went to another Fiat dealership today, and the manager of the Parts Department told him to ring in with the VIN number and he should be able to match it to the parts.
He said that, if this wasn't possible, to wait til we get the van and have a look at the part number on the headlights which are already fitted. Apparently, it should only take them a couple of days to get the parts.
I'll keep you posted.
Chris

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
@chuns Sorry, couldn't get the part numbers. Rang the garage and they said they hadn't got them they were 'locked away'!
My husband went to another Fiat dealership today, and the manager of the Parts Department told him to ring in with the VIN number and he should be able to match it to the parts.
He said that, if this wasn't possible, to wait til we get the van and have a look at the part number on the headlights which are already fitted. Apparently, it should only take them a couple of days to get the parts.
I'll keep you posted.
Chris
Thanks ever so much for taking the trouble, Chris.

I was just about to do an update, having emailed my local dealer to tell them to put the order for the horrendously expensive ones on hold. Can't have been many minutes after they opened today when I got an apologetic phone call, saying that they had done some further digging and talking to Fiat Central, and that the original quote and part number was correct. So I have reinstated the order. we'll see what transpires.

Thanks again for the help, and for taking an interest.

Cheers

Peter

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@mitzimad That's a bit too much like lateral thinking! Why didn't I think of that?

No Bull

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1997
Exp
For two years
Ermm! Just need to say something. I have a left hand drive imported Hymer which if you apply the right kind of stick on headlight directors will pass the MOT no problem at all. Why buy expensive new headlights?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Ermm! Just need to say something. I have a left hand drive imported Hymer which if you apply the right kind of stick on headlight directors will pass the MOT no problem at all. Why buy expensive new headlights?

We won't, if we don't have to, @ No Bull. Can you tell me what kind of directors these are, please? We thought that you had to have new lights. I hope we were wrong.
Chris

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just mentioned it to my OH. He thinks that stick on directors are OK for MOT purposes, but not for registration. Maybe someone could clarify this?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Or get in touch with a van converter and see if you can borrow a pair of headlight units to get registered then swap back seems a waste to spend that much when you don't need them

No Bull

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1997
Exp
For two years
They are advertised on eBay as necessary for continental vehicles driving in the UK (sorry can't remember the name, and my vehicle is stored ten miles away) but should be easy to find. They are quite large (surprisingly). But it may be the case registration is a different ball game. However my vehicle was registered by a dealer without changing the headlights (so go figure) ?

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
surely a main dealer would have a demo vehicle he could take the vin number from?
Apparently they don't have any, and haven't seen many - the parts dept say they won't until the new ones come in for service or repair, and I guess the Sales people don't talk to them!

OP
OP
Chuns
Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, Peter. That's what my OH said, too (unfortunately).

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
Please look up euro car parts. They are magic. I have a 27 year old Renault traffic. Needed headlights (last year) got them no trouble. Less than £60 each.. Bet they can help. Or GSF German Swedish and French. Worth a try good luck.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
THESE r not mine got it of f/b
any good for some one

have two brand new headlights, left and right still in the boxes for the uk regulation's to fit a 2007+ Fiat Ducato, friend of ours bought them for their French motorhome but now have gone back to France, they bought them for just £176 will except £150 o.n.o.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when I need new headlights or similar, I phone round the commercial vehicle dismantlers. less than half the cost and delivered to my door next working day

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back