Oh dear have I done the right thing? (1 Viewer)

Y

Yvonne

Deleted User
Hi I have just won a Swift Sundance turbo deisal 1998 from Ebay.
I will be paying £10600 for it on wed.
Everything seems great only 20,000 miles 1 owner from new.
Full Mot & safety certificate.
I am thinking Ive got a fantastic deal.

Does this seem too good to be true?
I might add as yet we havent parted with any money & will only do so on collections after inspection.

What should I really be looking out for when inspecting it?
.Travelling from Scotland to Burnley to buy.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Yvonne

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Not sure if that's a bargain price or not but apart from the obvious like HPI check you need to be aware of any damp issues past or present get yourself a small damp meter from machine mart or similar, check under all windows ,top corners where roof meets the sides , front and rear corners and also where floor meets sides especially where the door is, also check the floor for any delamination (floor feels spongy) especially in walkways ,make sure you also see all appliances working. if in doubt pay for a professional to do a complete habitation check, appliances are not cheap to repair or replace and damp can be very expensive to sort out

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Ditto as @FULL TIMER good solid advice.
Had you not seen it before bidding?
I would add make sure all paperwork is in order ,and thst seller has clear title to it .
Price (seems)about right .
I would add use your nose when first entering van .mustiness =damp .if all is well enjoy your travels in your new toy :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
20,000 miles in 17 years.....very low mileage sometimes it can be a problem itself........

When was it last used?...... When was it last serviced?...........Has the cambelt been changed?

On my Renault there is no mileage recommendation, just says change the belt every 5 years

Most new owners would be prepared to spend on a service/cambelt change anyway... for peace of mind

.. good luck.... hope everything works out

(y)

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Do you know anyone who has a motorhome already? Maybe ask them if they can come with you.
Slightest doubt, keep out. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Congratulations sounds a good van as long as it all checks out as the above all important points, I would take advantage of the forum and pay the £10 annual fee, it can save you so much worry and probably money in the questions and advice you will be able to get.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't know if you've got a good deal but you can easily check to see what other MHs have sold for on Ebay by looking on the completed listings. Always check the seller's feedback as well.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Oh and at 20,000 miles the tyres might have decent tread - but might be too old (may even be original) - check the age

(y)

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Do you know anyone who has a motorhome already? Maybe ask them if they can come with you.
Slightest doubt, keep out. Good luck.

I think this is a good idea, maybe there is even someone on fun that's local and would go along with you? Second to that I'd make a list of all the things being advised on the thread in order of priority and make sure the seller doesn't try to rush you into anything. Best of luck, think positive but just be wary (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It certainly looks ok , but no knowing till you see it in the flesh, bargain compared to the others like it

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Have an HPI check done on it. When I have bought private I have always gone to the owners house to view or buy, never some lay by some where, you get a feel for the type of people they are. Always paid off for me.
Phil

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
did a little search on ebay, pretty sure this must be the one

Broken Link Removed

the registration has not been obscured S 464 CMA, so HPI before going down would be easy

my query (other than risk of damp) is who exactly has sold it, reads like a dealer, but that doesn't make it wrong

it would be good to get the second original key, but other than that, caveat emptor, get it fully serviced chassis and habitation when you get it back, unless you can see anything obvious at first look bad enough to walk away

it could just be a genuine sale by someone who has decided to stop using it, a very good friend of ours has just sold theirs very similarly, her husband died suddenly and she couldn't face using it and was nearly 80 anyway

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you bid in an auction on Ebay and won, are you not committed to buy, unless the seller agrees to inspection and cancellation of bids before payment? If its the one above it does look nice though. Good luck

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you bid in an auction on Ebay and won, are you not committed to buy, unless the seller agrees to inspection and cancellation of bids before payment? If its the one above it does look nice though. Good luck

I don't believe you are committed to buy and if you were it wouldn't be hard to find some tiny defect which wasn't described in the advert to use as an excuse to drop out. I sold a car recently and it took several attempts as the first two "winners" changed their minds.

I am sure the OP knows what they are doing but I hope they have sorted out a secure way of payment and realise PayPal is not safe for buying a vehicle you collect yourself. Though this is mostly a risk when selling I am fairly sure PayPal won't reimburse you if the vehicle turns out to be a wrong 'un. Also, do not collect the vehicle from a car park or storage location. They need to see the seller's house and be sure they actually live there. And of course not part with a penny until they have seen and touched the vehicle. Too many scams out there to take chances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes quite so, I wasn't aware of that, I assumed, wrongly, that the same rules applied to vehicles as other goods but that I see is not the case as it says here:-

"Before you can place a bid in eBay Motors, you'll need to register. Register now, or learn more about registering.

A bid for a vehicle is considered non-binding. However, you shouldn't bid unless you intend to complete the purchase. Read the User Agreement for details.

There are a number of costs involved in purchasing and owning a vehicle. Make sure you know how much you can afford before you bid or buy. Consider the following costs:

• The cost of the vehicle

• Insurance cost

• Registration cost

• Maintenance costs

• Taxes

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looks good but as an aside , I wouldn't leave your postcode on your avatar thingy else when thieves know you have gone to look at it , they will be in:(

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Reading the ebay advert I assume this being sold by someone who trades in motor vehicles, check that out as if he is a trader you have different/better rights than a private seller. If he is a trader hiding as a private seller then be careful.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Going by the pics it certainly does look great.....Dont part with the dosh until you are happy everything is " Right ".....Hope it all pans out for you(y)

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't believe you are committed to buy
It is an auction and at the fall of the hammer it becomes yours as to faults found unless something was described as good when it was in fact not then unless the seller is a dealer then you don't a leg to stand on apart from maybe the sale of goods act and fit for puropse. If you think you can back out of an auction purchase then please stop bidding on auctions before you find out the hard way. Ebay buyer protection does NOT apply to motor vehicles.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't think she actually wants to back out, just worried it might not be as good as it looks , it looks ok though doesn't it , got his phone number and he does say go and look first, and she hasn't parted with any money, so what's to lose, go and look at it but take a bodyguard or at least someone who knows about such things , DONT go with £10000 in your handbag.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it looks great for the price and I would expect to spend a few bob putting things right and having a service. All in all I think she has a good deal my last post was for DBK and anyone else who thinks they could legally back out of an auction.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It is an auction and at the fall of the hammer it becomes yours as to faults found unless something was described as good when it was in fact not then unless the seller is a dealer then you don't a leg to stand on apart from maybe the sale of goods act and fit for puropse. If you think you can back out of an auction purchase then please stop bidding on auctions before you find out the hard way. Ebay buyer protection does NOT apply to motor vehicles.

I don't think I understand your post about it being "yours at the fall of the hammer" I understood bids on vehicles are considered non binding as per Ebay policy. Am I mistaken?

Policy overview
A non-binding bid is a bid that shows a buyer's interest in purchasing an item, but it doesn't create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding.

Remember, bids placed in any other category are a legal commitment to purchase the item. We strongly encourage you to read the other terms for more information.

Upvote 0

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I think i would insist on a recent habitation check, and buy subject to all being ok.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would certainly check out the mileage being so low, it is possible however it could have been clocked - insist on seeing previous MOT certs, for a good few years, to be able to confirm it.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would certainly check out the mileage being so low, it is possible however it could have been clocked - insist on seeing previous MOT certs, for a good few years, to be able to confirm it.

in the advert it does say they have them, it is a one owner motorhome, so hopefully all good, these days the MOT automatically prints the previous few years mileages, a great idea (y)

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't think I understand your post about it being "yours at the fall of the hammer" I understood bids on vehicles are considered non binding as per Ebay policy. Am I mistaken?

Policy overview
A non-binding bid is a bid that shows a buyer's interest in purchasing an item, but it doesn't create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding.

Remember, bids placed in any other category are a legal commitment to purchase the item. We strongly encourage you to read the other terms for more information.
Thank you for that, will teach me to read more carefully in future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

Yvonne

Deleted User
No cash whatsoever will be bank transfer if my husband is happy with everything & if its a con or anything else he can really handle himself so no worries there.

Think Im just panicking because it isnt my money Im spending.

My husband has travelled all over to buy cars before & lived in a caravan whilst working in remote places...if he has any doubts whatsoever he will walk away.

Thank you all for your advice very much appreciated.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back