Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've seen a few Motorhomes with the awning support arms attached to the side of the Motorhome diagonally and not in the usual free standing vertical way. Do you have to have a special fitting for this and what is the advantage?

Thanks Antony

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The side fitting brackets usually come with the wind out awning but you can buy them separately. ideal for use when the ground is too hard to peg the legs down. puts a lot of pressure on the van sides if not fitted right. have seen more than one van with them screwed to the side skirts so unsupported

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We have the fittings fitted to the side of the van but have only used the legs as normal. Can't think of a reason to use the side mounts other than the ground being to hard (tarmac or concrete) to peg down the legs but I would then be very wary of clipping the feet into the plastic clips for fear of damage being done to the clips, or worse, the side of the van if the wind got up.
Others may have other thoughts on this though......:smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow, you always amaze me how quick responses are (y) I'll have a look at the side of ours to see where the brackets would go and then weigh up if they're worth it.

Thanks for all the info ;)

Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Wow, you always amaze me how quick responses are (y) I'll have a look at the side of ours to see where the brackets would go and then weigh up if they're worth it.

Thanks for all the info ;)

Antony
Generally the brackets can be 150mm MAX either way out of plumb with the legs. I used spacer under the bolt heads so that the base of the leg presses against them so cannot apply pressure to the van skin.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If yours is Fiamma they are quite different and the kit is pretty good if installed to the instructions (y)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Just thought of another good use for using the side fitting brackets.......You can drive down to the tap to fill up the tank without winding in the awning...:wasntme::giggler::fubar:

Just remembered that you would also need a Z lead connected to the hook up, that way it expands when you turn on a heavy load, like the water heater, and gives you more flexibility to get to the water tap without disconnecting the power cable either.....:think::giggler::fubar::lipssealed:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back