Suggestions for stopover on route to Perth (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Our plans have changed ...we originally were going to stop off in Dumfries and Galloway this weekend to see my stepmother on route up to Perth but with the rubbish weather forecast for the beginning of the week we have decided to leave on Wednesday instead.
I have to be in Perth for Thursday so any recommendations for the route up through Scotland anyone?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, Lorger is the man to help. he gave us some fantastic options for stopovers when we went up to portpatrick earlier this year. We ended up overnighting in Dumfries by the river and will definitely stop there again, great little Italian too.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, Lorger is the man to help. he gave us some fantastic options for stopovers when we went up to portpatrick earlier this year. We ended up overnighting in Dumfries by the river and will definitely stop there again, great little Italian too.
Thanks Allan and Loren we are hoping for somewhere further up in Scotland closer to Perth ........we know Dumfries and Galloway well as my father and stepmother moved up there to Newton Stewart when he retired in the mid 70s......Portpatrick is a lovely place isn't it?
By the way looking forward to meeting you at Falkirk next weekend

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Allan and Loren we are hoping for somewhere further up in Scotland closer to Perth ........we know Dumfries and Galloway well as my father and stepmother moved up there to Newton Stewart when he retired in the mid 70s......Portpatrick is a lovely place isn't it?
By the way looking forward to meeting you at Falkirk next weekend

Hi, pm Lorger he knows so many places in Scotland for stops, I'm sure he could help. See you next weekend. Loren

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Our plans have changed ...we originally were going to stop off in Dumfries and Galloway this weekend to see my stepmother on route up to Perth but with the rubbish weather forecast for the beginning of the week we have decided to leave on Wednesday instead.
I have to be in Perth for Thursday so any recommendations for the route up through Scotland anyone?

Blimey Anne its a long way to Australia hope you are well jm

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Blimey Anne its a long way to Australia hope you are well jm
If only John :rofl:the weather would be better there than the horrible rain we have today.
We are all well hope you and Mary and family are too

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You could consider the aire at Hawick. 55.422503, -2.791157
M6 to Carlisle then A7 to A720 Edinburgh ring road then M90 to Perth. Hawick would be about half way but the A7 is a 'scenic route' and is not the fastest, but a lovely run.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There's a cracking little spot for wild camping near Dumfries. You make for Southerness caravan site but turn left just before the caravan site. The road takes a 90 degree right turn (no other way to go) then a 90 degree left turn. The turn next right & right down to the beach, there is a beautiful wee car park. There are benches to sit on & the sea is right in front of you. The views over the Cumbrian fells are awesome. Only locals know of the car park (not now though) & I've been in there with my camper dozens of times & its so peaceful.

Robert.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
@ambulancekidd that will be Powillimount beach your talking about lovely little place and you can walk to the Steamboat for a drink and food.
@davanne how far north do you want to be for a stop over i can give you a couple of nice places near Moffat if you like.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Depends how far Nth you want to be. I am around an hour from Perth.
PM sent.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Thank you all for your replies :)
Typically things never go to plan and now we can't leave until early Thursday so will have to drive straight up to Perth...not ideal but @lorger if you could let me know the stopovers near Moffatt we may use them on way home if we don't go through to Newton Stewart.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Cracking little site just outside Langholm on the A7 by the rugby ground, even has a bar that you can use plus a 5 minute walk by the river into where there are hotels, take aways and other shops too.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
There is a CCC site at Moffet, if you don't fancy paying there , just past the site is a Garden Centre that has a CL we were going to try it in the next couple of weeks but not sure if they have electric or not.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
@ambulancekidd that will be Powillimount beach your talking about lovely little place and you can walk to the Steamboat for a drink and food.
@davanne how far north do you want to be for a stop over i can give you a couple of nice places near Moffat if you like.

Ah I knew someone fairly local to the area would know what it was called. I've had a good look on Google Earth & there are so many strange structures along that shoreline, a really fascinating place. My dogs adore going down to that area & that makes me happy. The car park itself is well worth a visit for a spot of wild camping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back