Urgent fridge advice please (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have a 2013 Auto Sleeper with a Thetford 3 way fridge. It was working perfectly until I checked it today.
The van was parked up on sloping drive yesterday and when I checked this morning before leaving the van parked and going to a wedding by car the fridge had started defrosting.

Just returned from the wedding at just after midnight and checked again and the fridge and freezer is not working at all.

It is an has been on EHU since we parked up yesterday late afternoon.

We have now lost the contents of the freezer but my main concern is we have Insulin with us that should be kept cool and at an even temperature.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is the fact the van is on a sloping drive. I have it buried in my head this may be the problem ?

We are currently some 4oo miles from home and if the insulin spoils it will cause us problems. We have of course now taken it into the house we are staying in till tomorrow but need to sort this out or the rest of our holiday will be cut short as we will have to travel home.... Nightmare ..

Thanks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Fridges need to be reasonably level so could be your problem.

Have you checked its switched on properly? Ours does not always come on after 12 volt goes off when engine stops.

Try it on gas as an alternative

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We were parked on a slope and fridge went off, levelled the mh and it worked fine, hope it's that simple for you too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the manual will tell you the fridge needs to be within about 5 degrees of level to work. its an absorption fridge not a compressor as found in houses

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Yes, all good advice above.:)
We've found in the past that the fridge NEEDS to be fairly level.
You'll find it works perfectly again, once you've levelled the van.(y)(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If all else fails perhaps a large thermos flask.. And if that is not available in a container with water as Sue said, but dig a hole about 18" deep and put it in there ( Being of a certain age, I can still remember when an aunt and uncles fridge was a couple of those big old square biscuit tins in holes in the back garden ! )

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I am presuming there are NP error codes on the control panel? Ours has worked on slight slopes as I don't always get the levellers out. But we have had to replace the circuit board in the first year and this week the electric element. Not impressed with the Thetford fridge/freezers on the whole.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We always carry a three way ice box which might be a good option to have in case you have other problems later . If not needed for the insulin is good for the beer lol

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I am presuming there are NP error codes on the control panel? Ours has worked on slight slopes as I don't always get the levellers out. But we have had to replace the circuit board in the first year and this week the electric element. Not impressed with the Thetford fridge/freezers on the whole.

Looking at the drive this morning it is actually quite steep. Plus it was working just fine until parked. There are no fault codes showing.

Problem is is on this typical housing development there is nowhere else I can park it .

I have now run up to the top step on the ramps and dropped the air suspension right down but can't get it level.

Will just have to see if it comes on or not ..

Thanks all !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Insulin is better chilled. It's not absolutely necessary but it does need a stable temperature.
So once chilled it should really be kept that way. If it goes up and down in temperature it can become unstable and loose its effect. We have no way of telling if this happens until the Diabetic becomes rather unwell.

If it looses its capability the sugar levels rise and the diabetic feels very unwell . This is caller hyperglycaemia.
If the diabetic then overcompensate this can lead to low sugar levels which is quite dangerous. This is called hypo glycemic ..

A fridge failing is called a pain in the bum :)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Oh and thanks everyone. This is all part of the learning curve for us and we won't get caught twice.
I knew I had read somewhere about gradient affecting the fridges but wasn't sure.
Having this resource to ask is brilliant and much appreciated,, !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Similar problem recently though ours is a Dometic. These are the responses I got.
Broken Link Removed

Dealer couldn't find anything wrong so left it. HOWEVER it did conk out again and we resorted to the basic computer mantra:
1] Switch it off at the mains
2] Leave for 10 minutes
3] Switch on again
..... and it worked.

Hope one of the solutions works for you @Charlie , at least all we lost was food.
I expect you've thought about checking local GPs/ pharmacies to make sure you can get another supply of insulin if needed?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Insulin is better chilled. It's not absolutely necessary but it does need a stable temperature.
So once chilled it should really be kept that way. If it goes up and down in temperature it can become unstable and loose its effect. We have no way of telling if this happens until the Diabetic becomes rather unwell.

If it looses its capability the sugar levels rise and the diabetic feels very unwell . This is caller hyperglycaemia.
If the diabetic then overcompensate this can lead to low sugar levels which is quite dangerous. This is called hypo glycemic ..

A fridge failing is called a pain in the bum :)

I understand you problem as my Dad was diabetic from the age of 20 .

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fridge is back working again now. Seems it was my mistake in not levelling up the van. It was parked up for a few days with us not using it so a good job I did my OCD thing and checked it...

Thanks again all really appreciate the help !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Glad everything now normal - and thanks for letting us know. May be useful to someone else in the future.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Glad everything now normal - and thanks for letting us know. May be useful to someone else in the future.
As time flies by I hope in turn to be able to advise and help others with these daft problems.. That is after all what forums are for. To learn improve and share in both directions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back