The French motorhome on holiday (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Amusing to watch and learn how the French appear to manage their own etiquette on motorhomes.
Man drives motorhome
Man parks motorhome
Man sits in chair
Woman not allowed to drive motorhome
Woman washes motorhome (under mans supervision).
Cant help but giggle when we pull up on to the aire and the French give a bewildering stare l assume because my good lady is driving our van..lol.

One other observation..why do the French motorists persist in waiting till they reach a bend in the road before then overtaking me ??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Amusing to watch and learn how the French appear to manage their own etiquette on motorhomes.
Man drives motorhome
Man parks motorhome
Man sits in chair
Woman not allowed to drive motorhome
Woman washes motorhome (under mans supervision).
Cant help but giggle when we pull up on to the aire and the French give a bewildering stare l assume because my good lady is driving our van..lol.

One other observation..why do the French motorists persist in waiting till they reach a bend in the road before then overtaking me ??
This last point always gets me, they will follow you for literally miles with plenty overtaking chances, then suddenly pass you in the strangest place, why?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
They think you are driving as you are in left seat but somehow manage to drive without looking where you are going?
Why do the French fail to use the inside lane of a roundabout ? and never signal to leave when you are waiting to join?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen the Spanish also wait until a bend approaches before overtaking. I'm fairly certain the logic is because of the bend they can't see anything coming towards them. Therefore, it is safe to overtake. :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 3 pin ehu socket outside which terry uses for his iron. You ought to see the looks he gets. I don't do the ironing. He also gets the look when he vacuums as well. Don't the french men iron or vacuum?

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I watched one Frenchman yesterday sitting in his deck chair just a yard or two from the vehicle whilst madam was on her hands and knees cleaning the grime from the wheels...worst still his daughter was dispatched to fill the bucket with fresh water....l didn't consider this an option for my good lady especially as there wasn't a hospital for many miles.

Reactions: DBK

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Washing the MH whilst travelling in it? Unthinkable.

We see a hell of a lot of cats being carted around in French MHs - that seems peculiar to our Gallic cousins. They also love laying table cloths out wherever they eat.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Table Cloths. When i first saw this i thought how nice...... sat down at a free table in the area..... I have seen cleaner dust bin lids,so now carry something that does the job of a table cloth and when finished the meal,wrap the left overs in it and bin it..
Changing nappies........... LOL.
Tea Bag

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They always look at my Rapido quizzically
UK plates left hand drive German number plate surrounds and even better when I put the electric awning out in the middle of nowhere

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
We have a 3 pin ehu socket outside which terry uses for his iron. You ought to see the looks he gets. I don't do the ironing. He also gets the look when he vacuums as well. Don't the french men iron or vacuum?

Yeah!! of course we don'to_O

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At the aire in Cahors I noticed another 7090F parked in the far corner and its owner. Later in the day he was walking slowly past the back of my van obviously just for comparison as it wasn't on the way to anywhere. He was surprised when I said Bonjour and he replied with a look of appreciation. He nearly fell over when I said Voulez-vous voir mes améliorations and he was delighted. Spent half an hour having a great time in Frenglish :LOL:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

Probably, but not when motorhoming. :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I have 'Staff training days' for my wife. Today, we've tackled placing the levellers correctly, pegging down the awning poles and using the TV whilst off-grid on 12v. Cleaning the wheel trims? Not thought of that one. Will have to write up a lesson plan!

I make the French fellas right; what's the point of marriage if you have to get up from the deck chair and do chores :imoutahere:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have 'Staff training days' for my wife. Today, we've tackled placing the levellers correctly, pegging down the awning poles and using the TV whilst off-grid on 12v. Cleaning the wheel trims? Not thought of that one. Will have to write up a lesson plan!

I make the French fellas right; what's the point of marriage if you have to get up from the deck chair and do chores :imoutahere:
Thanks for the tips.I just assumed my OH would know what to do, however, I am still struggling to know what "a bit more" is, it seems to be a flexible distance ranging from a metre to bang.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
I wouldn't trust my O.H to iron anything of mine! and if I told him to do his own he would say "they don't need ironing" :rolleyes: The French probably overtake you to beat you in case you take the last spot I find they are very 'its our Country we should have the best spots.'

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Washing the MH whilst travelling in it? Unthinkable.

We see a hell of a lot of cats being carted around in French MHs - that seems peculiar to our Gallic cousins. They also love laying table cloths out wherever they eat.

Saw a French family camping with their cockerel once. Caged birds are also quite common but then we used to take our Minah bird with us when we were in the UK.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never mind the French...

I am often staggered by the chores all married men seem to get done for them all the time.

Living on your own for most of the time means you have to do it all yourself.

Which is why, it my case, it doesn't all get done. ;)

JJ :cool:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
At the aire in Cahors I noticed another 7090F parked in the far corner and its owner. Later in the day he was walking slowly past the back of my van obviously just for comparison as it wasn't on the way to anywhere. He was surprised when I said Bonjour and he replied with a look of appreciation. He nearly fell over when I said Voulez-vous voir mes améliorations and he was delighted. Spent half an hour having a great time in Frenglish :LOL:

Speaking French in France ? Whats the point in being British, let them speak our language.
Just kidding, a few words in the native tongue go down very well. Even in the USA saying things like "budder" instead of butter seems to work.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back