Table Options Hymer 680 Starline (1 Viewer)

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We've had our 2004 Hymer 680 Starline for 4 years now and absolutely love it. There is one thing however that has niggled me from day one and after much persuasion, I have managed to get hubby to agree that it needs to go - the table! It's one of those huge, over engineered monstrosities on a central pedestal that can be moved forwards and sideways and also lowered to make a bed. We've never used it as a bed and can't see that we ever would, therefore not only does it take up valuable space, payload, lounging space when entertaining (it's always me that ends up straddling the pedestal!) but I can't reach into the cupboards above it!

Now for the questions! We don't want a freestanding table and are looking at the swan neck option, with a much smaller table, attached to the seat locker. It's booked to go into Peter Hambiltons next month for some remedial work and we're going to have the table modification carried out at the same time. So, do we re-purpose the original table or go for a completely new one? We're aware it may affect resale value if we haven't got the original. What size table should we go for? Has anyone done the same mod and got ideas/pros and cons? Any thoughts and pictures much appreciated. I've added a before picture to give you an idea of the size it is today - it's an old photo I hasten to add and that hideous upholstery has long gone! I can't give measurements at the moment as the van is in storage. Thanks in advance - Kim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 81
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
we had much the same problem with the table in our rapido, massive thing which even though it could do as yours does move in diferrent
directions still got in the way, so i made temp table & fitted swan neck bracket, much better now as we can push it against the long bench to get it
out of the way for access.

will take a picture to show

Karl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours is a B630 (shorter but matching layout). It too has a substantial table. Having considered the options, we decided the advantages of keeping it outweigh the negatives. If you remove the table, I would store it as I think it would affect resale value if the B680 was incomplete.

I am somewhat distracted by the mental image of you 'straddling the pedestal! ;)

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
we had much the same problem with the table in our rapido, massive thing which even though it could do as yours does move in diferrent
directions still got in the way, so i made temp table & fitted swan neck bracket, much better now as we can push it against the long bench to get it
out of the way for access.

will take a picture to show

Karl
Thanks Karl, looking forward to seeing the picture (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If I might make a suggestion - if you go ahead with a new table top and swan neck leg/arm, get one that you can remove the top from so that if you only want a smaller table, ie for drinks etc, you can remove the top completely and replace it with a much smaller one - AFAIK you can get extra brackets for a second top so that shouldn't be a problem.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
This is the B 614 table that I mentioned in another thread although it is still a pedestal. We saw this in the flesh and were very impressed with it's versatility and for us was sized just right.

Attachments

• camping-car 003.JPG
    camping-car 003.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 51
  • camping-car 004.JPG
    camping-car 004.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 51
  • camping-car 005.JPG
    camping-car 005.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 49

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As said above I would store the original table for future sale of van.
The 'swan neck' table looks good but maybe if there is only two of you not so big(?).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I know it's a B544, but the best thing I ever 'nervously' did was cut the table in half Nearly enough room for a dance now, well a smooch at least!

Post edit; assuming that the construction is the same material as in ours, which I would have expected it to be they are actually very easy to cut into. I chose to do it carefully by hand with a quality panel saw and then tidied up the raw edges with a piece of would glued in. I made sum dowel lugs so that the two halves can come together neatly to extend the table if needed. It all worked out really well so maybe similar principles can be applied on your table. Good luck!

DSC00014_0975_edited-1.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back