Honda Genny Warning.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a new Honda Eu10i genny two years ago and other than an occasional start up its been in my garage and never used in anger.
I tried it recently , filled with fresh petrol and under load it wouldnt run properly.
I took it into local agents thinking that under 5 year warranty it would be sorted.
Not so, because I had not had it serviced, even though it had not been used , I had to pay £59.40 for it to be corrected, apparently blocked jet in carb.
I paid a premium price for a so called premium product, but now wish I had bought a KIPPOR :eek:

The moral , even if you dont use it pay an agent to service it anyway :groan:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
It's a common problem unfortunately, as fuel has a 10% ethanol content the lack of use causes the fuel to evaporate leaving behind a varnish like substance from the ethanol, this will promptly block the main jet in the carb,
But it's a simple job to clean out the bowl and jet or if you cannot be bothered then you need to run the engine until it runs out of fuel,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's a common problem unfortunately, as fuel has a 10% ethanol content the lack of use causes the fuel to evaporate leaving behind a varnish like substance from the ethanol, this will promptly block the main jet in the carb,
But it's a simple job to clean out the bowl and jet or if you cannot be bothered then you need to run the engine until it runs out of fuel,

Unfortunately there is no separate petrol tap so the only way is to tip the thing upside down to drain the tank , then run it dry .
I have a couple of B&S powered gennies which I use for non motorhome purposes and even with old petrol they always start first pull and dont miss a beat.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Always pays to start it once a month should stop your problem.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Ah, but how much to service it for 5 yrs?
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine still takes a few pulls and yet my B&S start first pull, i think Honda overrated .:rolleyes:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Most warranties are invalidated by a lack of servicing!

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Isn't that £59.40 cheaper than 5 years of servicing?

Edit: 2 years. Even so, still may be cheaper.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
No. Can't rembeber the name, but the one Machine Mart sell.

Its difficult to know how long to leave petrol in for, will probably tip it out and run it dry after every use, unless I can find the feed and fit a tap.

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Its difficult to know how long to leave petrol in for, will probably tip it out and run it dry after every use, unless I can find the feed and fit a tap.

Or just run it until it's all gone. Give it a work out, kindathing.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Or just run it until it's all gone. Give it a work out, kindathing.

Just been and done that, tipped all from tank and then ran it to a standstill , might well consider additive to avoid emptying every time (y)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK, perhaps I should have done this first.

READ MANUAL !!

For transporting and storage
Empty petrol from tank
Remove side access cover
Place end of two drain tubes over small container.
Slacken drain screw in bottom of carburettor
Remove spark plug lead
Turn engine switch on
Pull start cord to empty pump
Turn engine switch off
Tighten carburettor drain screw
Replace drain tubes
Replace spark plug lead.

Sorted (y)

Bit of a pain after every use though :rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just annoying that a warranty is not worth the paper .........

I may be an old cynic but..............forget to register your purchase or do not 'service' (with proof) every year and there is no 'extended warranty' on a lot of items....... reasonable conditions? .........or just a 'get out'?

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I may be an old cynic but..............forget to register your purchase or do not 'service' (with proof) every year and there is no 'extended warranty' on a lot of items....... reasonable conditions? .........or just a 'get out'?

I also am a cynic, its a sales pitch with a cop out. Not many will pay £50 ish for an annual service on a very lightly used unit.
Oil change , clean filter, check plug , DIY much cheaper.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At the end of the day it is an engine ... all engines need to be serviced, some annually, some bi-annually, even diesel heaters (Webasto/Eberspacher) in MHs need servicing and regular use to avoid problems. One reason why we were happy NOT to have a diesel heater in our last 2 campers, one less thing to have to worry about and spend on.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
At the end of the day it is an engine ... all engines need to be serviced, some annually, some bi-annually, even diesel heaters (Webasto/Eberspacher) in MHs need servicing and regular use to avoid problems. One reason why we were happy NOT to have a diesel heater in our last 2 campers, one less thing to have to worry about and spend on.

Yes I agree on the servicing but this unit was basically unused from new and lack of servicing wasnt the cause of the problem, it was a gummed up carb jet.
Will have to drain down after every use to avoid a recurrence.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
That is not a Honda or a Honda Warranty complaint, that is a dealer taking the piss.
Any engine technician would have known that the problem would not have been solved by servicing once a year. Hence they just wanted their mitts on some easy money without the hassle and paper work associated with sorting out a warranty claim.
Suggest you email Honda UK highlighting this and see if they respond, before condemning Honda. They are the undisputed best !

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We leave the petrol in our lawnmower and never have it serviced ( a concious decision it did not seem worth paying for a service on a £100 mower) the last one lasted for 15 years!!!. Sounds like the Honda isn't as reliable as made out or optimised for fuel used in non UK markets

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back