Free Member
Aug 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
1 YR
Boo..
my fellow rv friends, we need some advice from more experience travellers than us.
Well..When we are on site or wild camping the norm is to attach our hose and topup, simple.. But if we cant get the hose attached to the rv to top up, sometimes you can be parked along way from the tap. How do we get the water from the tap to our tank, "excuse us been thick" have i "lost the plott" or have a missed something. Is there a "fab" piece of equipment that we need to purchase to make things abit simpler. I now the caravans use a water roll, can it be adapted to use for the RV? Please can you give us ant tips or advise, much appreciated. Chrissy+John

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A longer hose?
We find a 25m suits many situations
Otherwise a watering can - if you have space to store it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We now use a 10 litre plastic container and a funnel with a filter if can't easily get to the tap but after our last trip thought I might get a watering can and only half fill the tank.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I always carry a 45ltr water roll as used by tuggers has come in handy many times even though I have 2 x 20mtr flat hoses. I have an external 12v socket and use a submersible pump.
Phil

Last edited:

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
If you can gravity fill, then you can use a water roll with a simple 12v submersible water pump to fill. Just need a 12v socket installed next to the filler, or indeed use a watering can but this needs to be carried and lifted to the filler
if you can only city fill then it's only the hosepipe at mains pressure.

Happy RVin

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got 2 20m hoses and so far have been near enough to use them. We do have a gravity fill which could use a watering can for but it would take loads of trips. Like the idea of a 12v submersible pump though, will check it out, cos got a 50lt Aqua roll in garage from caravan days. On a site in France recently and watched a guy use what must have been a 100m hose to refill from the tap!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Constant backwards and forwards? We use between 5 and 15 litres a day, one or two trips.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
10l watering can with a bit of flexible plastic hose on the end (bought for £2 at Lincoln MH show)

Kath

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Im assuming you only have a hozelok type hose connection and not a gravity fill point as used on european motorhomes.

You could use a 12v pump and adapt a normal hose to suit the 12v pumps outlet then use a caravan type aquaroll water carrier.

Otherwise is a case of carrying more hose pipes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This watering can thing comes up every time someone mentions filling up, for gods sake you have a vehicle with an engine and four or more wheels move to the tap and fill it up and it will last for days , ours lasts at least three days with us both having showers everyday and all the rest of the water useing stuff.
Sit in the van watching people walking up and down with watering cans every day and just can't understand what they get out of it.(n):)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Whilst others use a watering can I prefer a 5 ltr plastic petrol canister. I find the flexi hose is ideal for fitting into my tank and the whole thing takes up very little space. To speed up the transfer of water from container to tank I have drilled 4 very small breather holes in the container at the rear of the handle. A couple of trips a day is sufficient for topping up. I also have a 12vt submersible pump and if necessary I will borrow a big container from a friend to do a major fill.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many rv's dont have the ability to use a watering can or any other kind of water carrier via a gravity feed filler as on europen motorhomes.

They are fitted with a hozelok type water connection to which a hose must be fitted and goes directly to the fresh water tank.

To use an aquaroll and pump would need a modified hose to fit the hozelok connector fitted to the rv.

No other way round it.

A eurobox is easy....unhook electric, wind in awning, drive off ramps and go to tap.
an rv is completely different....unhook leccy, retract awning (can take up to 10 mins if its windy) retract and secure slideout room/s, raise levelling jacks....then drive to tap if its accessible for a 30ft plus motorhome.

Saying that, i never had a problem as my fresh tank held 96 american GALLONS...thats around 80 ENGLISH GALLONS.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Wheeled bowser and Whale supafil pump works well and you don't need a funnel or wear your feet out with watering cans.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I use a 20 litre plastic container that has a stubby outlet that fits a five foot water pipe, at the other end of the container there is a small cap for letting air in,
So I simply lift the container and rest it on the lounge window ledge that directly above the water inlet, put the pipe into the water tank inlet,
Other end of pipe fits snugly over container stubby outlet, remove cap from container vent, and presto 20 litres straight in the tank,

Similar to this one that will take submersible pump if needed but I let gravity do my work for me,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20l-Campe...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfa186261

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Spotted these at a show yesterday really neat idea food grade plastic & saves space if ordered online you can get 10% discount with the cc.
WWW.Colapz.co.uk
image.jpg

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Aquaroll, submersible pump and our case, about ten walks to the tap equals about 85 imperial gallons. :roflmto:

Or a bloody long hose. If I click all my lay flats together, never have yet, then about 150m.

Or, or, if all else fails then move the RV. :giggler:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We've got 2 20m hoses and so far have been near enough to use them. We do have a gravity fill which could use a watering can for but it would take loads of trips. Like the idea of a 12v submersible pump though, will check it out, cos got a 50lt Aqua roll in garage from caravan days. On a site in France recently and watched a guy use what must have been a 100m hose to refill from the tap!

Was that me with my stretchy erection hose A & L?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Was that me with my stretchy erection hose A & L?
Not this time, it was Bob! We've just bought one off amazon for £9.99 100ft as we're at a horse show with Katy, our daughter, in a coup,e of weeks. No EHU, plenty of water taps but once we're parked we won't be moving for 4 days so thought the stretchy erection hose would be useful!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not this time, it was Bob! We've just bought one off amazon for £9.99 100ft as we're at a horse show with Katy, our daughter, in a coup,e of weeks. No EHU, plenty of water taps but once we're parked we won't be moving for 4 days so thought the stretchy erection hose would be useful!

That will be 4 days without a scratch then!!!!
Just bought the bendy watering can from Colapz, comes with a half price offer of a bendy bucket. Expensive but the fact that they are both collapsible makes it worth it for me...I don't have a lot of space in Elle, not like you, seems you have space for horses as well!!!:giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back