French Aire's rules and regs? (1 Viewer)

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
We are yet to venture across to France in our van but intend to do so next year. I've read a number of things about aires. Can anyone put me right about rules and regs when staying on one?

I'm confused about what is classed as camping and what isn't as they are in theory just a stop over.
I await your wisdom!

Cheers
Branston1080

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Technically they are a parking place not a camping place so you should just be parked. In practice they are all different, just do what others are doing when you get there. If it's a marked out car park with no space between vans then that's what you do. If there's room for other things that's fine. We're on an aire at the moment in Froncles with our awning wound out and with table and chairs outside.

Forget about rules and regs and just copy everyone else

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Most aires have signage
CA_05151415132384-X2.jpg

Valuettes%20sur%20mer2-X3.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Apart from emptying grey water over the ground I reckon the most heinous crime on an aire is to occupy an empty marked bay with awning, camping clobber, bikes etc.

The rules vary and if there's any at all they're usually common sense - live and let live. The most regulated aire I've seen was Biscarrosse-Plage, but I suspect their rules were posted as an excuse to evict new age crusties if they stayed too long. I didn't see the rules enforced while we were there.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I find most aires to be very laid back re. chairs, tables etc. in the main it's common sense. I think just be courteous and don't block up space for people. We have never had a problem and when the police/attendant come round for the fee's they never seem to be bothered about table chairs etc.

Deleted User
We're at Biscarrosse-Plage right now, awning out tables and chairs out etc etc never had any issues here.

Last week at Dives-Sur-Mer the spaces were so tight you couldn't open your windows fully. Tables, Awnings etc impossible.

As other have said go with the flow, common sense goes a long way.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're at Biscarrosse-Plage right now..

Any sign of the big boot baggy jumper dreadlocked brigade in old trucks with unleashed dogs? The last couple of times we've been there there was a colony of them parked up for the duration towards the campsite boundary fence. We had to park in the middle of them one night because we arrived late and were treated to all night Trance music. We found a new pitch first thing next morning.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Any sign of the big boot baggy jumper dreadlocked brigade in old trucks with unleashed dogs? The last couple of times we've been there there was a colony of them parked up for the duration towards the campsite boundary fence. We had to park in the middle of them one night because we arrived late and were treated to all night Trance music. We found a new pitch first thing next morning.
We have found them all over but never had any trouble, in fact they are very friendly and in a different life I would probably been with them, always admire their old trucks(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We have found them all over but never had any trouble, in fact they are very friendly and in a different life I would probably been with them, always admire their old trucks(y)

Apart from the all night music and the unleashed dogs they kept themselves very much to themselves, and I found a polite 'Bonjour' went a long way. I was just curious to know if they were a regular fixture at Biscarrosse-Plage.

Deleted User
Not seen (or heard) any yet, but I'm a live and let live type so a bit of trance won't bother me too much.

Just got back from a walk across the dunes and I'm cream crackered!

Box of Bordeaux being opened by SWMBO as I type.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We were at Brantome last year and the town warden came round and told people to take their chairs and roll-outs in. Only place I've seen it "policed"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back