Rad fans not switching off! (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well we are on day four of our escape to France, we have just arrived at Talmont T Hillaire & now the radiator cooling fans will not switch off, even with the ignition key is removed. The battery is being drained so after an hour I have disconnected the main battery. I am on site for 7 nights so no immediate panic. Has anyone got an idea what the cause could be? It's a 1999 Hymer 2.9 TDI diesel Fiat Ducato maxi chassis. If you suggest a part eg thermostat give me a clue where to look.

Thanks
Mike

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
There is a 2 relays in a plastic cover near the top of radiator these are for the 2 fans . On our 2.5 fiat only 1 fan ran . The 2nd fan was for really high temp. The relays are about
25 mm square. I think your 1st relay as stuck. Pull the 2 relays out of the pin sockets and put the 2nd fan relay into the 1st fan pin plug I think that will stop the fan continuously running, then renew when you get new relays from a auto electricians, hope this helps.

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There is a 2 relays in a plastic cover near the top of radiator these are for the 2 fans . On our 2.5 fiat only 1 fan ran . The 2nd fan was for really high temp. The relays are about
25 mm square. I think your 1st relay as stuck. Pull the 2 relays out of the pin sockets and put the 2nd fan relay into the 1st fan pin plug I think that will stop the fan continuously running, then renew when you get new relays from a auto electricians, hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply Bill is it possible to show in a photo where I need to look, no rush but it would help if you have access to take a photo.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Mike - does this help? - it's for a boxer but I would think the same as ducato and matches buffallobills description.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mike - does this help? - it's for a boxer but I would think the same as ducato and matches buffallobills description.

Broken Link Removed

Yes that looks good, I can see the cover now, does anyone know how it is removed, clips, screws, or just pull? I don't want to break it.

Mike

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok I have removed the relay cover (2 screws) there are 3 relays two yellow & one black just waiting for the battery to reach cranking charge so I can test the relays, I am assuming that the two yellow ones are for the two fans.
Thanks for all of the replies.

Mike

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hopefully I am now sorted, I have swapped the relays over and used silicone grease to clean the contacts. Ran the engine while in situ & all seems well. The real test will be when I leave site on Thursday & have a proper road test. Thanks again for all of the advice.

:inlove::dance:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Keep an eye on the temp in case the lower temp fan DOESNT kick in.

No reason why it shouldnt but a glance is cheaper than a cylinder head gasket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back