Private imports (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
C

champagnegypsy

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Funster No
Struggling to get comprehensive insurance from Germany to UK,believe you may be able to advise.
Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Where does the German third party insurance end, the Belgian border , the French border or the moment you touch the UK soil???
Surely any decent UK company that wants your business should really cover you on the VIN number, but I notice some do not even insure a van that WAS NOT IMPORTED by a recognised??? dealer in the UK . Grey imports? do they really exist in the single market now.
Does it really matter if you are ripped off in the UK by a dealer in ££££s or the same price in Euros.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Struggling to get comprehensive insurance from Germany to UK,believe you may be able to advise.
Cheers.

You cannot get UK comprehensive insurance abroad while importing. It only kicks in when you reach the port (eg Calais). You automatically get third party insurance with the export plates while driving abroad so be very, very careful ;)

Thanks Antony

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm in the process of buying a new van from Germany and we're actually buying RHD so if I was to get all my paperwork and register and pay vat on the van before collecting it could I then insure it and drive back will fully comp.
the van will be full UK spec so nothing needing done for import

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm in the process of buying a new van from Germany and we're actually buying RHD so if I was to get all my paperwork and register and pay vat on the van before collecting it could I then insure it and drive back will fully comp.
the van will be full UK spec so nothing needing done for import
But it still won't be registered with the DVLA. You have to declare it to the VAT and then registered it with the DVLA. So it is still a no until you get to a foreign port in transit to the UK.

Thanks Antony

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Mercedes offer a service to collect your new car from the factory. I can't imagine buyers being prepared to drive 3rd party. Surely There must be a way to do it?

I would be reluctant to drive say a £50k or more MoHo third party!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes but my question is can I do that before physically bringing it in to the country as they don't need to see the van, and with it being UK spec with COC could I not do everything first then go collect van.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You cannot get UK comprehensive insurance abroad while importing. It only kicks in when you reach the port (eg Calais). You automatically get third party insurance with the export plates while driving abroad so be very, very careful ;)

Thanks Antony
What he says.
No fully comp insurance to be had, none that we found anyway. The export plates gave us 30 days liability insurance, which is valid anywhere within the EU. I will be confirming the full insurance tomorrow on the Vin number, which gives you another 3 weeks to make the mods and get the letter from the garage to confirm it is now UK compliant.

We just took a deep breath and kept our fingers crossed as we did the marathon drive back to the UK.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Last year I imported a used van from Germany, insurance was a problem, very few of our normal insurers would cover the van on the VIN number (even Darren from AIB could not help), remembering you will not have a UK registration so the VIN number is needed, and none of them would insure it outside the UK, I am not sure that you will get fully comp when you get off the ferry from the UK insurers I seem to remember that they only offer 3rd party until it is UK registered.
There is a company based in Holland that will give you fully comp for 30 days for about 600/800 euros depending on the value of the van.:Eeek:
In the end I drove it home through the night from Dover,when there was little traffic on the German export plates with the basic cover provided by the plates, parked it up on the drive, insured it but could only get 3rd party until it was registered. Also the insurance cover was time limited until an upgraded Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system was fitted.
Cheers

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes but my question is can I do that before physically bringing it in to the country as they don't need to see the van, and with it being UK spec with COC could I not do everything first then go collect van.

Presuming your buying from dealer I directed you to, they offer full comp export insurance. But your right re VAT, as I have paid it in advance before now..its naughty but speeds up the process. Regards 3 rd party export insurance check with supplying dealer where it ends, but most have fily comp UK insurance arranged to kick in once your in UK?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Presuming your buying from dealer I directed you to, they offer full comp export insurance. But your right re VAT, as I have paid it in advance before now..its naughty but speeds up the process. Regards 3 rd party export insurance check with supplying dealer where it ends, but most have fily comp UK insurance arranged to kick in once your in UK?
Yes I'm dealing with Dominik who you recommended, he did mention the fully comp but i was just thinking if i could do it this way also.
I may send you a PM later if thats ok for one final check, thanks again for all your help.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes I'm dealing with Dominik who you recommended, he did mention the fully comp but i was just thinking if i could do it this way also.
I may send you a PM later if thats ok for one final check, thanks again for all your help.

I wont have data as of to Italy now! Three dont work in Belgium/Germany. but will pick up wifi whaen we can..:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cheers Eddie its nothing to important so dont worry if you cant get it.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We're collecting our new van from northern Germany in a couple of weeks' time. We're driving back, extremely carefully, via Rotterdam, which is about 3 hours from the dealership, and have 3rd party cover on export plates for that bit of the journey.
Safeguard are insuring us fully comp from the port. We'll be driving to Rotterdam on a Saturday, and home from Hull on a Sunday. We hope there'll be less traffic as its weekend.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're collecting our new van from northern Germany in a couple of weeks' time. We're driving back, extremely carefully, via Rotterdam, which is about 3 hours from the dealership, and have 3rd party cover on export plates for that bit of the journey.
Safeguard are insuring us fully comp from the port. We'll be driving to Rotterdam on a Saturday, and home from Hull on a Sunday. We hope there'll be less traffic as its weekend.

Safe journey and enjoy your new MH (y) Don't forget to post some photo's ;)

Thanks Antony

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have just bought my Flair back from Dortmund, Fully Comp on the VIN from the day I paid the invoice in Germany, all the way back home, with NFU louth. No hassle.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just bought my Flair back from Dortmund, Fully Comp on the VIN from the day I paid the invoice in Germany, all the way back home, with NFU louth. No hassle.

Well done in finding European Cover via a VIN (y) I wonder how they compare on price with Safeguard? Might just give them a call, thanks for the info;)

Cheers Antony

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I bought a Mercedes some years ago from a British garage and collected it from Stuttgart, it was fitted with German plates which were changed to British plates when I returned to the garage. Chauffeur to Heathrow business class to Stuttgart free meal in free hotel fir the night, chauffeur to the factory then trip around factory, visited Mercedes museum, then had five days to drive home ( tank full of petrol)with free tunnel journey back to England.
Not that you wanted to know this just remembered it, the year was 1997 wonder if Merc. Garages still do this?
Etap

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a Mercedes some years ago from a British garage and collected it from Stuttgart, it was fitted with German plates which were changed to British plates when I returned to the garage. Chauffeur to Heathrow business class to Stuttgart free meal in free hotel fir the night, chauffeur to the factory then trip around factory, visited Mercedes museum, then had five days to drive home ( tank full of petrol)with free tunnel journey back to England.
Not that you wanted to know this just remembered it, the year was 1997 wonder if Merc. Garages still do this?
Etap

Somehow I doubt it, but what a great experience (y)

Lucky you ;)

Cheers Antony

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Yes, we tried them, but they said they only offered insurance for imported vans to existing customers. Seems there's no consistency between the responses of the insurance companies. Safeguard were the only ones we could find who would insure us - and we're not 'high risk.'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back