Travel insurance and high BP ? (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . We usually monitor my blood pressure every few weeks and lately it has been borderline . I have been able to lower it by loosing weight in the past but
the last few months of enjoying French cheeses ,pastries as well as wine have taken their toll . It really is on the higher side of acceptable without taking medication . I do not want to go to my GP right now since then it will be a medical condition which I have to declare on my annual travel insurance policy .
I am wondering what insurance companies policy is in case of high BP managed by medication ? We have had to shop around in the past because I already have a couple of medical conditions and we do need cover for up to 5 months per trip for worldwide travel including the USA .

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Strangely enough I have a tale to tell regarding blood pressure and holiday insurance. I use Insure&Go. Logging onto their website and filling in the forms as required. I too have a couple of ailments which require medication. After completing the forms this year the premium was double last year so I called them and explained my surprise at the inflated premium. The advisor chose to go through the process manually asking me questions and filling in the forms for me (he must of thought I was a bit senile). When it came to BP he asked how long I'd been on the tablets and the strength of the medication. Then he said I didn't need to add it and gave me a premium considerably lower than I had been given online. I queried the premium but he was adamant I didn't need to include it. Needless to say I accepted their quote.

This cover was for up to 90 days.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I went with Nationwide this year as their £10 a month deal now includes motorbikes, cars and motorhome breakdown cover. I phoned to check on the holiday insurance and when i told them I take 3 BP tablets and my wife takes 1 it made no difference. Some ailments (not sure which) would mean an extra premium to top up the normal £10 per month. They also throw in mobile phone insurance and a couple of other things I can't remember. I did use the AA for breakdown and holiday insurance that that totalled over £250 excluding european cover.

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above is my experience, not a huge increase in premium when I declared I was taking 2 tablets for BP. It might have gone up £30 or so. I think the argument is if the tablets are controlling the BP then you're not going to keep over just yet.

But you may keel over if you can't control it and if it is a bit high I would go and see the quack. Otherwise get the headstone carved now. "Here lies Cobweb. Saved a few quid on his holiday insurance. Now on permanent holiday.". :)

I saw what happened to a close family member who had uncontrolled high BP. A heart attack would have been a merciful end but they spent the last two years of their life paralysed after a brain hemorrhage.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One of the pleasures of age I'm afraid, if your Bp is high above 140 then any resistance to treat it is not recommended. World wide insurance can be amended at any time during the year by adding any changes in your condition. There will be an increase in the premium but not as much as you might think. Stop worrying get it checked by the doctor you know it makes sense.(y)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I'd second getting it checked. In my case I found out via an Optician check-up which showed a burst blood vessel at the back of my eye which was a pre-curser to a stroke. Pills sorted the BP but it needed an injection straight through my eyeball to sort my vision out. That was a very painful week after the local anaesthetic wore off. I won't be joining any queue to go through that again. After my eye episode my wife went for a health check and also ended up taking a BP pill.

Allan

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As above is my experience, not a huge increase in premium when I declared I was taking 2 tablets for BP. It might have gone up £30 or so. I think the argument is if the tablets are controlling the BP then you're not going to keep over just yet.

But you may keel over if you can't control it and if it is a bit high I would go and see the quack. Otherwise get the headstone carved now. "Here lies Cobweb. Saved a few quid on his holiday insurance. Now on permanent holiday.". :)

I saw what happened to a close family member who had uncontrolled high BP. A heart attack would have been a merciful end but they spent the last two years of their life paralysed after a brain hemorrhage.

Yes....I get your point . Not too keen on permanent holiday as yet.
I will give it a week on 5-2 diet (so far lost 3lb last week )and drink beetroot juice and scoff avocados to see if BP will come down ....if not will make an appointment with GP . It is not so much the cost of holiday insurance which is the issue but worry that they will refuse cover full stop . Because of our winter sailing activities there are just 2 companies who are willing to insure us in the first place for the US and the Bahamas .

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
If your! blood pressure is high you shouldn't be worrying about paying OR NOT higher insurance you should be seeing your G.P.
High B.P is a major cause of stroke! just say you get insurance, go abroad , have a incident of anything ?? saving money on insurance is no consolation at all .

My O.H takes B.P tabs and a minor heart condition, when we get travel Insurance they used to give me a number to ring to answer a couple of questions about meds, I also have to declare having a mini stroke! (no symptoms) of ever having one just showed up on xray! (I have low BP) All it meant was £9 extra each!! for peace of mind it is worth it.
The last couple of years we have been insured by the CC I filled in on line , No questions about meds only a question about Hospital treatments If waiting or have been in the last 6 weeks (not sure about time limit now) or treatment for Cancer .
Just to make sure I had it right I rang them and asked could they go through the form with me, they did and the quote was just the same.

In my opinion diet even exercise wont lower your B.P my O.H has a very healthy diet and doesn't drink wine beer or anything else, only very rarely. The G.P will know what strength you will need and will adjust it until you get it right. take care and get a second opinion.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just an update . Have lost about 6lb on the 5-2 and now BP is in the 125 over 68 range and has been steadily going down ...from 145over 75 initially . GP is very happy with me continuing to loose weight and monitor BP . No medication needed as yet . So loosing weight and drinking beetroot juice daily seems to be working .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I went with Nationwide this year as their £10 a month deal now includes motorbikes, cars and motorhome breakdown cover. I phoned to check on the holiday insurance and when i told them I take 3 BP tablets and my wife takes 1 it made no difference. Some ailments (not sure which) would mean an extra premium to top up the normal £10 per month. They also throw in mobile phone insurance and a couple of other things I can't remember. I did use the AA for breakdown and holiday insurance that that totalled over £250 excluding european cover.

Allan
That's a good deal :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back