Nfu - Rather Surprised! (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I'd always steered away from NFU in the mistaken belief that they would be too costly and after several days of talking to them I've come away with a very different view.

My current motorhome insurer couldn't or wouldn't cover my needs, nor would any of the others I spoke to. The stumbling block was the towing of a Smart car and the level of cover that would be provided in the event of a "my fault accident" everyone I spoke to previously would only provide 3rd party cover at best. Or wouldn't insure the trailer or provided high quotes for either the car or the motorhome, rediculous excess etc...all in all, it was looking stupidly costly and in the event of the unthinkable I'd be dealing with different insurers to resolve any claim which would be something I'd want to avoid.

NFU seems to adopt a pragmatic attitude and were happy to take on the Smartie, the trailer and the motorhome and roll it into one package and key for me was that if anything happened to the Smartie, regardless of fault, it was fully covered.

So, for just over £520 the Smartie is insured comprehensive with commuting, business and breakdown cover. The trailer is insured for £1k (using 2nd hand values) and the motorhome is covered far more sensibly than my last insurer and with European cover at no extra cost.
For me that's an excellent result considering that I have a "city" postcode...leaving me feeling confident that should the worst happen I'll be in decent hands.

Really nice folk to talk to, no pressure and no silly introductory discounts that will mean I spend hours searching for a new quote next year because the price has jumped 20-30%

No association with them, just a nod to what I think is refreshingly good attitude in a business which has a large proportion of one eyed snakes waiting to stuff you!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
was with NFU for years .. also had a claim that was settled without quibble.. so yes. an excellent insurer... and they are very easy to talk to..

however.. I asked for a quote for the Hymer and the premium was almost double what Comfort, Safeguard and a couple of others were.. when I asked them to match or even come close the answer was 'no can do'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have been with NFU for many years for both vehicle and home insurance including Annual Travel and find them very amicable and helpful.

At the time they seemed to be the only insurer that understood the concept of towing a car with an A-frame behind the motorhome. I now have all three of our vehicles, including a high power sports estate, on the same policy which I have always found reasonably priced although a little arm-twisting occasionally helps.;)

NFU certainly gets my vote.(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're with NFU for our business policy and my car and MH as they provide a 'new for old' on vans upto 2 years old
Sometimes it's easy to dismiss them simply on price without taking into account the real value of the cover they offer

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Had the House with them, they put the premium up 25% last year and I stay with them. They did the same this year , a total of 54% over two years so I walked and found a quote that took me back those two years, from insure4retirement.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it's easy to dismiss them simply on price without taking into account the real value of the cover they offer

I never do that, I assess each quote to ensure I am comparing 'like for like'.. and I don't just go with the cheapest.. in fact I went with Comfort this time who weren't the cheapest but offered the best cover for my needs.. at the most completive price..

If you need toad or trailer cover or have special requirements not available with mainstream insurers, then NFU are probably the guys to go with..

combine harvesters a speciality:LOL:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been with nfu for fifty years, off and on, got all the farm stuff on it, never wavered, but in hard times have gone for cheaper for motors, but back with everything now, cant be doing with all this internet rubbish, just go in and sort it,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were with NFU for a year or two some years ago but the following year the cost shot up so we went to Highway/LV through Frank Pickles (which was great when we had to claim). We moved from them to Comfort this year because of their change of policy to only insure MH drivers if they already had car insurance.

As @ScotJimland says, though, be careful to check you are receiving the cover you need.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Strange every now and then a post comes up praising NFU. Probably once every couple of years I give them a try. Have never even got close to a competitive price and always at least 50% higher than Safeguard for same cover.
Glad you had more success than me.(y)(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Strange every now and then a post comes up praising NFU. Probably once every couple of years I give them a try. Have never even got close to a competitive price and always at least 50% higher than Safeguard for same cover.
Glad you had more success than me.(y)(y)
Have you been in and talked to them,email and phone useless

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No I haven't don't even know if they're local.
Anyway don't need all that palaver just want a sensible quote from the info supplied.
Plenty of competition.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
If you need toad or trailer cover or have special requirements not available with mainstream insurers, then NFU are probably the guys to go with..

combine harvesters a speciality:LOL:

That's the nail whacked on the head!

Everyone else I spoke to just wouldn't cover everything I wanted as one package; Smartie, trailer & motorhome. Those who would consider the Smartie when being towed would only cover it 3rd party...so if it fell off the trailer, I was stuffed; a rediculous situation. I had to ask that question, they didn't volunteer the info'
I just wonder if all the rest who tow are aware of what cover they have for their towed car in the event of an own fault accident?

Anyway, insurance costs have so many variables...it just happily worked out for me at less cost than having seperate policies for this, that and the other.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's the nail whacked on the head!

Everyone else I spoke to just wouldn't cover everything I wanted as one package; Smartie, trailer & motorhome. Those who would consider the Smartie when being towed would only cover it 3rd party...so if it fell off the trailer, I was stuffed; a rediculous situation. I had to ask that question, they didn't volunteer the info'
I just wonder if all the rest who tow are aware of what cover they have for their towed car in the event of an own fault accident?

Anyway, insurance costs have so many variables...it just happily worked out for me at less cost than having seperate policies for this, that and the other.

fully understand .. you get what you pay for .. and you pay for what you get .. (y)

I was with NFU while full time, had a large RV + Box trailer.. mention this to other insurers and they don't want to know.. just a pity that they have pushed up premiums for the 'everyday' motorhome insurance, as otherwise I would have stayed with them..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You are maybe paying for it

Maybe but I doubt it not known for overpaying.:)

fully understand .. you get what you pay for .. and you pay for what you get .. (y)

I was with NFU while full time, had a large RV + Box trailer.. mention this to other insurers and they don't want to know.. just a pity that they have pushed up premiums for the 'everyday' motorhome insurance, as otherwise I would have stayed with them..

Absolutely maybe very good for unusual quotes as jac in a box wanted but for a run of the mill bog standard motorhome I've always found them very expensive and I always shop around.
My lad tried them for his B544 recently as his workshop is on a farm and his boss said he uses NFU so introduced Mike to them. He went with Safegaurd eventually at almost half the price for same cover.;)

Anyway suns shining vans cleaned and ready after our Italian adventure, weddings and birthdays out the way. Been home nearly 3 weeks getting itchy feet so we're thinking of a week or so in Scotland before it gets too crowded. Never made it to John O Groats yet or seen the Falkirk Wheel.(y)(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had both car (toad) and rv with nfu.
when they originally quoted at the local office they showed me pics of different rv's so there was no confusion as to what it actually was...."A" class in this case.
went to them mainly for the £1000 inclusive 'own damage' trailer cover and no dispute between seperate rv and car insurers...they cant argue if they insure both.

Couple of years later the premium went up unacceptably and they stopped taking new business for american RV's.
they knocked around £50 off the premium but it had risen by another £100 above that.

Left and went to safeguard.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Having read the comments praising NFU I phoned my local office saying that I was looking for a quote for Motorhome insurance and could I call in and talk to them. Nipped down with all my bits of paper ready to sort out face to face all the ins and out that I wanted the insurance to cover. Only to be told they won't quote me for motorhome insurance unless I take out home insurance with them.
Looks like I'll be going back to C&CC at this rate.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Having read the comments praising NFU I phoned my local office saying that I was looking for a quote for Motorhome insurance and could I call in and talk to them. Nipped down with all my bits of paper ready to sort out face to face all the ins and out that I wanted the insurance to cover. Only to be told they won't quote me for motorhome insurance unless I take out home insurance with them.
It wasn't like that when I first joined them although we have since also taken home and contents with them.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
It wasn't like that when I first joined them although we have since also taken home and contents with them.
Whilst I was there I also asked about motorcycle insurance - and again they won't deal with you unless you take out home insurance!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's strange as we have MH insurance without having household insurance

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014

That was the response I had from my local office, but they suggested I call their Glasgow office, which I believe handles motor insurance...once that happened it was a piece of cake. Patient, helpful and not shy about confirming important issues for me by email - I like my paper trails!
They did ask if I would consider buildings/contents & pet insurance, but it wasn't a pre-condition to insuring m'home etc.

If it helps, ring 0800 072 0169 ext 769260 that should get you Colin Goodwin, the fellow who got me sorted out.

Good luck:)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The snag about getting your info into a generic quote generator, is that the insurers don't actually read the answers you gave to the questions initially asked! eg annual mileage or no of days abroad in 12 months or whether you want any Breakdown cover? - pretty BASIC stuff! so one of them emailed with a good price on less than half the annual mileage, less than half the annual holidays abroad oh and without European breakdown cover, in fact NO breakdown cover at all. Then rang to chase it up as they hadn't heard back from us!

It wasn't the only company to do that either.

But anyway AIB came up with good terms again for the cover we actually want - so that's that for another year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back