Bringing tow car to Spain (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
I know the Spanish Elderly William do not like you to tow a tow car as it is against the law over there but I know people do it and have had no problems. Is it because they are more relaxed now about motorhomers doing it or have they just been lucky. I would like to bring mine as I am spending the winter down there. If stopped what are the penalties. Oh I am going from Plymouth to Santander. What do folks think should I risk it??

Thank-you

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A friend of ours got stopped last winter at a roadside weighbridge and although they had a good look at the A-frame and car said nothing but they did weigh the van and car together.
We will be taking a car this year but it will be on a trailer.
It's your choice whether to risk it or not but I believe that ours friends will.

Mike

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
No not more relaxed, from what I've heard and seen.

Some do get away with it, but some don't.

There could be a large fine and you could be told to separate the vehicles, though if one of you is not a driver, they may just let you go on your way, if stopped again you can show them your fine receipt.

Or you may be the lucky one who gets away with it!

Do I know people who have been stopped and fined?

I certainly do!

They usually come back with a trailer the following year, or leave the car at home and hire one in Spain.

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
on site we were on in the spring, one chap got fined twice, one chap not at all...your call.

Clint Eastwood sums the situation up very well:LOL:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We were down there earlier this year and there were 2 or 3 on the same site that had A framed down, none of them got stopped, we are going to A frame our car down next year. On the flip side car hire was about 11 euros a day. It is a risk you meet Mr Plod in a bad mood but one we are going to take. May see you down there again next year. Give our love to Mo. Aud & Derek

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Thanks to all who have given me an opinion. What do you think my chances will be of getting out of Santander with it on the back. It is weird the thought of being a bit naughty is quite exciting. Yes I should probably get out more. If there are more opinion's on this please feel free. No Angry people please.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I think its just like a game of chance you could be lucky or unlucky sorry I can't be of more help we tow a car and I would not take mine.

Lynne does not not drive so I would be stuck if I was told to unhook it.

Paul

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I won Der if the chance of being fined is the real worry. I've seen some other threads that make me wonder if A framing is safe or actually any good for the car.. I know there are some reasons to A frame but they aren't cheap and I wonder if A trailer might be a better option anyway..

But like already said, it a your call and it doesn't affect us either way.. so go with Clint.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bryan, ex of this very parish, got stopped and fined on the way down to Zahora about 3 or 4 years ago.. And they had to unhitch and Suzy drive the car all the way down..

I know of more folk who have been done than have got away with it .. Not hear say but speaking to the people in person and seeing them crying in their cerveza !!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It is Illegal and yes you can take a chance.. Many get away with no issues.
A few get stopped, some fined and some not..

Question..
If your stopped and they make you disconnect, are you in a position that one person can drive the van and the other the car... Should you be the main driver of both how will you sort that out ??

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
For what it's worth, if you choose to 'ignore' the laws of the Country you are visiting, you perhaps shouldn't be too surprised if the local plod (if they stop you, which they are more likely too if they see an obvious infringement like towing a car!) take more of an interest, and check your weights, tyres, exhaust, documents, triangles, reflective jackets, spare bulbs etc etc etc! .....and make your trip delayed and potentially miserable and expensive.
...food for thought perhaps?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you already have an A frame then I understand your question. If you haven't as yet bought one then why bother? The difference in cost between a 'legal in this country only' A frame and a legal anywhere trailer is minimal.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It is Illegal PERIOD................... There is another factor to consider if you have an road traffic accident your insurance will not cover you as you are breaking the law in the country you are travelling in. Many get away with it, but do you really want to chance it?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know the Spanish Elderly William do not like you to tow a tow car as it is against the law over there but I know people do it and have had no problems. Is it because they are more relaxed now about motorhomers doing it or have they just been lucky. I would like to bring mine as I am spending the winter down there. If stopped what are the penalties. Oh I am going from Plymouth to Santander. What do folks think should I risk it??

Thank-you

Soooooo.......What do you think of the feed back?:)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
The OP acknowledges the illegality of towing with an A frame, in Spain......... Why then would he even consider doing it? The law is the law, even here in Spain, leave it behind and hire when necessary.

Regards, Bryan

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought a used trailer off a funster and used it in the UK a few times over 2 years then sold it via e-bay for exactly what it cost me, give it try with a trailer, buy it well and then sell when you get back if you don't like it for the long term. when I needed a car here last time I hired a cheap one for £100 for 5 days but mostly I take my single axle ivor williams with a drop down ramp carrying my Honda scooter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Personally I would just hire a car on the days I needed one....... taxi back from the supermarket with the shopping maybe?

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Thank-you all for your opinions on the subject food for thought indeed. We have two tow cars a Yaris and Honda Beat which have been handy to have with us especially around England and Ireland would love to take the Honda to Spain but do not like the idea of a trailer it would be a pain. May just take the scooter

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We rented in Spain last winter for less than 3euros a day why bother taking a car . We purchased a car hire excess insurance policy through Money Supermarket cost £39.99 per year , booked the car through Hispacar or Doyouspain there are others , as a second driver is free we shared the car with another camper onsite who could also use the insurance policy for free .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We rented in Spain last winter for less than 3euros a day why bother taking a car . We purchased a car hire excess insurance policy through Money Supermarket cost £39.99 per year , booked the car through Hispacar or Doyouspain there are others , as a second driver is free we shared the car with another camper onsite who could also use the insurance policy for free .
Now that's "Car Share" at it best. Well done you.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We trailered a SMART car to Spain one year when we were site based. Parking the trailer was no problem on the site. Now we tend to Wild Park and have found a car & trailer to be a nuisance. We find we can go everywhere we want in our 7m motorhome. We SORN and leave the car in the UK.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
If you haven't already got one, I wouldn't bother, with the way its looking more and more EU unfriendly. I've had an A frame for Yonks, and Toured practically all of Europe with it, but now its too risque'y even for a short trip for a long w-end in N/E Spain. Also there's a strain and wear-an tear on the toed+mileage; just because the Motor G-Box aren't working, the rest is!! I will use it for local stuff in France,but I'll use my Trailer for anything else + I can chuck some extra unnecessary camping clutter that I'll never use on it:)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Car hire is cheap in Spain as previously mentioned , we hired a brand new Seat Ibiza tdi for £8 a day over a whole month

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back