ducato reverse judder (1 Viewer)

D

dutchy

Deleted User
I'm close to buying a used December 07 Bolero 680FB, I'm concerned about the reverse judder I have read about on the forums. I have not taken a test drive yet, just wondered what Swift/Fiats views are on this. I would love to hear from other owners good and bad.
Thanks
Dutchy

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I have an 06 auto-trail scout that I have owned since new and,touch wood I have never had cause to reverse up a slope , until yesterday !!! it went up the slope as smooth as silk, so my worries are now over !!! BTW it is on a Ducato base....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Andy Stothert started a thread on Out and About Live and like Topsy it just growed. Try it.

Link Removed

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
Hi steve4kay

Glad you don't suffer with the judders, however, consider the fact that when the time comes to sell your van someone will be asking the same question as Dutchy & regardless of whether you say it judders or not they will want to see some proof that you've had the appropriate modified transmission bits fitted by Fiat to cure this problem. Trading in doesn't seem to be a problem at the minute but as & when the vehicles with the modified transmissions hit the showrooms my guess is that it will be just one more reason to drive down trade in values.

Dutchy

The Bolero is a beautiful van, but with the base vehicle surrounded by so much adverse publicity & uncertainty of the effectiveness of the proposed Fiat fix do you really think this is a wise investment? The fact that you need to ask the question in the first place should tell you most of what you need to know.

I'm ready to change ours right now but am struggling to find something we really like that's not X250 based & within our price range.

I may be tempted to part with ours for offers over 35k, it's a beautiful Dethleffs, fully loaded 3.0l 160 on an 07 with just 5k on the clock, but i have to warn you that it judders just like Bigfoot's? & just like the rest (potentially), any takers?

Bryan

OP
OP
D

dutchy

Deleted User
I think i already know the answer already,just sounding it out,by the way is it the 3 litre as well that it affected or just the 2.2?
Thanks
Dutchy

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
HI,yes the 3lt judders as well.
Go to forums and look at clutch gone on two year old van.That was mine and i have just got it to fiat wolverhampton after just over four weeks.I am going to have to fight fiat to try and get it done under warranty.
Having spoke to someone at the garage today they said fiat are aware of the problem but the fix they have come up with is not working and in alot of cases making it worse.There words not mine.Puegot are changing the gearbox and clutch assembly which seems to work.Why cant fiat do the same?
If i was you i would steer clear till the problems are sorted.Has you can see not everyone has a problem but it is alot of money to spend to take a chance of being one of the lucky ones.The lucky ones will defend them because they are great to drive(when they are working correctly).
Well,do you feel lucky punk?Do you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Dave

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
I have an 06 auto-trail scout that I have owned since new and,touch wood I have never had cause to reverse up a slope , until yesterday !!! it went up the slope as smooth as silk, so my worries are now over !!! BTW it is on a Ducato base....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If my memory is correct the 2006 fiats were the last of the old style non judderers,the X250 came in in 2006.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well all I can say is that I am changing some of our older hire vans and we are replacing them with 09 X250's Swifts.

Hire vans do the miles with a number of different drivers, none of them experienced MH drivers.................................................

Peter

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Well all I can say is that I am changing some of our older hire vans and we are replacing them with 09 X250's Swifts.

Hire vans do the miles with a number of different drivers, none of them experienced MH drivers.................................................

Peter

I would bve interested in seeing your hire customer feedback!!

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I have now had the engine mounts,:ROFLMAO:

The gearbox modification and the uprated clutch:ROFLMAO:

and the clutch damper pipe:ROFLMAO:

yes it is still judders in reverse:Angry:

and Fiat have told me they have no more modifications:Eeek:

OP
OP
D

dutchy

Deleted User
Hi
to be fair why would hire customers complain its not there van .
as a swift dealer you must have come accross some customers who have had these problems?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi steve4kay

Glad you don't suffer with the judders, however, consider the fact that when the time comes to sell your van someone will be asking the same question as Dutchy & regardless of whether you say it judders or not they will want to see some proof that you've had the appropriate modified transmission bits fitted by Fiat to cure this problem. Trading in doesn't seem to be a problem at the minute but as & when the vehicles with the modified transmissions hit the showrooms my guess is that it will be just one more reason to drive down trade in values.

Dutchy

The Bolero is a beautiful van, but with the base vehicle surrounded by so much adverse publicity & uncertainty of the effectiveness of the proposed Fiat fix do you really think this is a wise investment? The fact that you need to ask the question in the first place should tell you most of what you need to know.

I'm ready to change ours right now but am struggling to find something we really like that's not X250 based & within our price range.

I may be tempted to part with ours for offers over 35k, it's a beautiful Dethleffs, fully loaded 3.0l 160 on an 07 with just 5k on the clock, but i have to warn you that it judders just like Bigfoot's? & just like the rest (potentially), any takers?

Bryan

I bought my MH brand new and it will probably outlast me !!! therefore I have a "viking" funeral planned and we both will go up to Valhalla together !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

dutchy

Deleted User
Hi
I rang Fiat customer care today ,pointless phone call to say the least
asked for the chassis numbers of the vehicles affected after they confirmed "some customers had had problems" then spent 5 minuets trying to get an answer but to no avail then told them i would be interested buying a new 09 x250 if they could confirm the problem had been rectified on 09 registered vehicles" need to ring a commercial dealer"was their reply" they would know"she told me .when i asked who would give the dealer the information on the serial numbers of affected vehicles she said its on a vehicle by vehicle basis as reported by the owner!!!!!!!!

Lost the will to live at this point
Dutchy

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I have heard Fiat are no longer producing the 2.3, they are trying to use up their vast stockpiles, it is going to be replaced with the Ford 2.2 engine (as per Puegeot) and use the 120 gearbox with the reverse the same ratio as first gear.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

It's not good is it.:RollEyes: fiat and the dealers have shafted us good and proper on this one and continue to do so to the unwary.:Angry:

Cant wait for the Japs to get into motorhomes..:thumb:

steve

OP
OP
D

dutchy

Deleted User
Hi
Spoke to a man from Fiat UK HQtoday
this is what he told me.
when i asked him if the production runs tht are currently being made have the same gearbox/unmodified reverse gear that some customers are having problems with, and his reply was YES
I then asked him if there were any plans to change to a different spec/gearbox/ reverse gear and he replied NO

I will keep my money under the bed untill i am confident its sorted out albeit a couple of years maybe,but £45000 + is a large amount amount of money to me so not prepared to put my toe in the water
Dutchy

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008

Fiat phoned this morning, they want to inspect my motorhome again to see if the modification have been done correctly.

Has any one had the transmission modification carried out and been satisfied with the results, Fiat claim all the mods have been succesful so far except a small minority which you can count on less than one hand:ROFLMAO:

We can only find one satisfied owner who had a new gearbox and clutch on a Pugeot 2.2, so come on lads dont be shy:thumb:

T

thorley

Deleted User
never again

Hi all. This saga rumbles on and hopefully will continue no matter how boring until fiat come to their senses and right the wrongs that they have created. My vehicle 2.3 ducato .8,000 miles, with inbuilt obsolecense has just had the rear shockabsorber replaced ( by me ) because this item isnt covered by the warranty, Ive never had a shockabsorber dump its fluid on my drive having owned my first car 55yrs ago. They wanted £360 to fit a pair of shockers on the rear at 8,000 miles. I wouldnt have given fiat the satisfaction, I paid £95 and had to use a genuine part as no matching pattern parts are available yet. I was told by fiat uk that a cure for the vibration would be with me in February it would be tempting to just unload this costly purchase because clearly there are STILL people out there that dont have our knowledge. But some of us have a conscience with honesty playing a big part in our lives. So steer clear all you potential purchasers and P.Xers stick with what you know. But what ever you drive do enjoy. Thorley:Cool:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Well Fiat never phoned and followed up as promised to check if the transmission modification was carried out correctly. We have notice an oilstain on our brick block drive, I checked under the van and yes the transmission is leaking form inside the clutch bellhousing, hopefully it will not/has not contaminated the new modified clutch, because as you know, this is also not covered under the warranty.

2 Year European Vehicle Warranty page 6 Exclusions 9

* filters
* spark plugs
* clutch plates
* brakes
* brake pads

I heard the other day that an owner of a 3 litre comfortmatic, that the split driveshaft gaiter was not covered under the warranty, so what is.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
Spoke to a man from Fiat UK HQtoday
this is what he told me.
when i asked him if the production runs tht are currently being made have the same gearbox/unmodified reverse gear that some customers are having problems with, and his reply was YES
I then asked him if there were any plans to change to a different spec/gearbox/ reverse gear and he replied NO

Spin Speak !!

Yes they are still fitting them, they've thousands in stock.
He meant "I have not been told of any plans".

Yes, the only sensible thing is to buy non Fiat or keep your money. Or maybe buy second hand a more up market vehicle for the price you'd pay for a Fiat ??

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Just been reading all these quotes...I have to say I am thinking of selling my M/H (see Classified) only because we tend to go to Canterbury (not as much leisure time as we thought we would have) so I am considering having a Caravan all season pitch instead of a motorhome with four wheels staying put! but I have been doing all the driving and it does drive like a dream ( albeit I am a female driver) I am not sure still if I do want to sell but it is disturbing to see the comments......everything about my M/H is great although I am not too well up on TECHNICAL THINGS....but I will leave it up to any prospective buyer (if there are any after all this ) to decide.........I am 63 and 5'4 and a newbie.....I can drive anything and this drives like a dream..........I will be looking out for any Judders...although I only experience the Judders after having a few glasses of my favourite tipple! the only driving is driving my other half nuts!

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Just been reading all these quotes...I have to say I am thinking of selling my M/H (see Classified) only because we tend to go to Canterbury (not as much leisure time as we thought we would have) so I am considering having a Caravan all season pitch instead of a motorhome with four wheels staying put! but I have been doing all the driving and it does drive like a dream ( albeit I am a female driver) I am not sure still if I do want to sell but it is disturbing to see the comments......everything about my M/H is great although I am not too well up on TECHNICAL THINGS....but I will leave it up to any prospective buyer (if there are any after all this ) to decide.........I am 63 and 5'4 and a newbie.....I can drive anything and this drives like a dream..........I will be looking out for any Judders...although I only experience the Judders after having a few glasses of my favourite tipple! the only driving is driving my other half nuts!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
to be fair why would hire customers complain its not there van .
as a swift dealer you must have come accross some customers who have had these problems?

Hi Dutchy,

To be blunt our customers dont have these problems as we demonstrate to them how to drive the vans.

Its let clutch out first until it engages fully and then use accelerator, not loads of welly and let the clutch slip and thats a fact.

Sorry I speak as I find and I do not have a problem neither do the staff reversing into tight spaces on the forecourt going uphill.

Peter

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi Dutchy,

To be blunt our customers dont have these problems as we demonstrate to them how to drive the vans.

Its let clutch out first until it engages fully and then use accelerator, not loads of welly and let the clutch slip and thats a fact.

Sorry I speak as I find and I do not have a problem neither do the staff reversing into tight spaces on the forecourt going uphill.

Peter

You keep quoting this same rubbish on other forums.

If you tried to reverse the same vehicle but fully loaded complete with bikes on the back and onto a grass camping pitch you would have problems.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am 63 and 5'4 and a newbie.....I can drive anything and this drives like a dream..........I will be looking out for any Judders...although I only experience the Judders after having a few glasses of my favourite tipple! the only driving is driving my other half nuts!

Seems someone else doesnt have any problems either, they talking rubbish as well.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back